Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

stupid question, 997S vs. 996 TT, which one is best?

This is probably a stupid question to post on the TT forum, but, here goes. I am looking to buy a new P car. Considering a new 997S or other Pcars. One is a used, say 01-02 TT. I have never driven a TT, but have always lusted at them. What are your thoughts and opinions of the two. How about maintenance, because it would be used and out of warranty vs. new car.

Re: stupid question, 997S vs. 996 TT, which one is best?

I had the same problem a few weeks ago.
    I decided to buy a 996tt 2003 including one year warranty.
    It was cheaper than a new 997S and the car is full equipped, including a lot of Carbon and the X50.
    And for my opinion: It looks much better.

Quote:
    porsche nut said:
    This is probably a stupid question to post on the TT forum, but, here goes. I am looking to buy a new P car. Considering a new 997S or other Pcars. One is a used, say 01-02 TT. I have never driven a TT, but have always lusted at them. What are your thoughts and opinions of the two. How about maintenance, because it would be used and out of warranty vs. new car.

Living in the US outside big cities, I would probably opt for a 997 Carrera S. The 996 Turbo is a great car and delivers lots of power. It really depends on what you want: a new design and an improved handling performance feel or plain raw power in an "old" design. Also maintenance/repair cost is much higher for the 996 Turbo, especially when you're out of the warranty period.
    Both cars are a lot of fun, good luck with your decision.

RC, can you elaborate on the maintenance cost aspects. People are telling me the cars are not too much $ to keep up, of course, they are the ones trying to sell me the cars also. Also, what do you mean outside big cities? I live in Atlanta, GA a very large and painfully crowded city.

Drive both and decide which you like better.

I live in Atlanta, and this area is a *great* place to own a Turbo...great roads (smooth), plenty of opportunity to drive fast...keeping up with the Atlanta interstate traffic, and some of the best curves in the U.S. just a short drive north of town (including the Tail of the Dragon, and the Cherohala Skyway).

I find that I use my Turbo's power *WAY* more than I use it's cornering abilities. And the power is big time fun...

My previous car was a Bi-Turbo Boxster. I test drove a 997 2S cab and a 996TT cab. Altho the 997 is an awesome car with a very nice interior/exterior etc the 996TT's power is simply overwhelming. I decided to go for the 996TT cab

Just a curiosity, the 997S Cab isn't but the 997S Coupe and the 996TTCab have identical power-to-weight ratio, since the 997S is more than 500lbs lighter.

I've driven both but my opinion is : HP sells a car - torque moves a car and the Turbo's torque is alone reason enough to go for it. I love the 997S and it's handling/styling (specially yrs with the new exhaust syst. ) and it might be the better track-car but on the street 996TT is fantastic + you can add easely 50-70 hp thru various options...

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Drive both and decide which you like better.

I live in Atlanta, and this area is a *great* place to own a Turbo...great roads (smooth), plenty of opportunity to drive fast...keeping up with the Atlanta interstate traffic, and some of the best curves in the U.S. just a short drive north of town (including the Tail of the Dragon, and the Cherohala Skyway).

I find that I use my Turbo's power *WAY* more than I use it's cornering abilities. And the power is big time fun...

I too live in Atlanta. I drove a TT today, an 03, for sale at Bimmer Store. I think I missed something b/c I did not walk away craving a TT the way I did when I drove the 997S? The car I drove only had 19K miles on it so I don't think it was ragged or anything. I guess I need to go drive again. My thoughts were to find a nice 02 still in warranty. But, I am having trouble with swallowing the old design vs. new design thing. The TT is definately the better value, but the 997 just looks so nice. This is a tough decision.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Just a curiosity, the 997S Cab isn't but the 997S Coupe and the 996TTCab have identical power-to-weight ratio, since the 997S is more than 500lbs lighter.

True. But I haven't test driven a 997S coupe, only the 997S cab. The 997 drives really great of course but for me it lacked the 'oomph' feeling that came with the 996TT. I doubt the feeling between the 997S coupe and cab will be that much? I can be wrong of course and if so then I stand corrected

I agree Rami, I was just pointing out a little factoid some people may not realize but its irrelevant here, there is no point comparing the coupe since no matter how well it drives (and the -20mm option in the coupe is really good, noticeably better than the PASM and in a lighter car than the cab) its still no a cab and you prefer the cab.

So if you are really looking for that "oomph" and in a cab, then the 996TT cab is the best way to go IMO, the 997TTCab may still take a few years to appear. The 997Cab may have more handling and agility and RWD character, but it lacks the pull and torque of the TT, and the -20mm 997S coupe may be faster than the 996TTCab but its still no cab and not as confortable either. So good call

Quote:
    Rami said:
    My previous car was a Bi-Turbo Boxster. I test drove a 997 2S cab and a 996TT cab. Altho the 997 is an awesome car with a very nice interior/exterior etc the 996TT's power is simply overwhelming. I decided to go for the 996TT cab

Rami did you sold your Bi-turbo ? Jezzz you've spend so much money, time and love into that car that I though you would keep it forever
    Anyawy with the 996TT Cab on your hands, I'm sure Boxster wont be missed, very nice choice and congrats on your new toy.
    Having in mind your addiction for power it wont take long before we see the turbo cab with more than 500 ponnies under the wood

J.Seven

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I agree Rami, I was just pointing out a little factoid some people may not realize but its irrelevant here, there is no point comparing the coupe since no matter how well it drives (and the -20mm option in the coupe is really good, noticeably better than the PASM and in a lighter car than the cab) its still no a cab and you prefer the cab.

So if you are really looking for that "oomph" and in a cab, then the 996TT cab is the best way to go IMO, the 997TTCab may still take a few years to appear. The 997Cab may have more handling and agility and RWD character, but it lacks the pull and torque of the TT, and the -20mm 997S coupe may be faster than the 996TTCab but its still no cab and not as confortable either. So good call

I know I know I'm good! Just kidding Carlos You're probably ten times better than me when it comes to reviewing cars (and most probably driving them as well)

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Rami did you sold your Bi-turbo ? Jezzz you've spend so much money, time and love into that car that I though you would keep it forever
    Anyawy with the 996TT Cab on your hands, I'm sure Boxster wont be missed, very nice choice and congrats on your new toy.
    Having in mind your addiction for power it wont take long before we see the turbo cab with more than 500 ponnies under the wood

J.Seven

500 ponnies are being worked on indeed
    Next week Stage 2 Loud Europipe and Stage 1 Sportec kit. Together it will deliver 490-500HP so that will have to do it for the next 2 years

The Boxster isn't sold yet but it's going for sale any day now. I haven't published it anywhere yet. I already know for a fact that it will hurt to see my baby departing from me
    But then again, it really is no match for the 996TT cab you know

Rami, you are being way too modest I think

BTW, you are already thinking about Europipe exhausts, Sportec kits... on the 996TT!?
    How much HP did the Boxster have? I bet it made some jaws drop expecting the stock performance

I suppose we could go on licking each other's *ss for quite some time ... let's say we are both enthousiasts, that should cover it all, right

About the 996TT ... ah well, I'm gonna do it all right away this time. So that I can fully enjoy this car for 12-24 months. The mods are, as said before, the Sportec Stage 1 upgrade, Europipe Stage 2 Loud exhaust and Tech-Art lowered springs. Apart from that I also ordered the automated soft top (one touch button) and the sportec metal pedals.
    Most probably the Bose will go out and I will insert some ICE from Focal and PhoenixGold.

The Boxster has 365HP / 455NM. I can tell you it was AMAZING to drive. From 0-100kph I was a little faster then a 996 3.6 carrera (around 4.9 sec) but from 0-160kph it made the difference. I could keep it under 10 seconds and that's pretty fast. I'll never forget the moment I was heading home from Francorchamps chasing a Dutch 996 GT3. The poor man had to make way to let me slide by
    Those are the moments we all do it for I suppose

Rami, if you're going to Sportec, send greetings to Ueli Hodel. It can't hurt.

Quote:
    porsche nut said:
    I too live in Atlanta. I drove a TT today, an 03, for sale at Bimmer Store. I think I missed something b/c I did not walk away craving a TT the way I did when I drove the 997S?

Did you floor the Turbo in any of the first three gears?

A 996TT X-50 with JRZ suspension (which I drive), or a GT-2 with similar pro suspensions are great track cars, even cornering ability. Much, much better than a stock 997S.

Of course, the cheapest and most fun club race cars (PCA, SCCA, NASA) are 3.2L engined, 915 transmissioned 911s on slicks built from the shell up, with high quality caging.

Just my $0.02.

Buy the 997S, trust me it is by far better than the old 996. In all honesty the 997S is not much slower than the 996TT off the line. Even closer to th Turbo Cab as it is a heavy car. I have had several Porsche's in the past from the 928 GTS to the Turbo cab and C4S and now that I have an 06 997S I am confident to tell you that it is a different animal than the 996. The car uses 85% different parts and rides and handles and brakes like a mother..........you will be happy with it. The 997S is a better balance car than the Turbo and in certain RPM's more responsive

look the difference : http://www.fastdrive.org/download.php?view.492

Keep the one most important thinks in mind when you make your decision. Engine blocks, the TT and the GT 3 have a diffrent engine block that is bullet proof. According to what I know all other 911 have a less desirable engine block. I personaly don't claim to know that much about this but mabey you should wait and see if the 997TT comes with the better block. When I was in the market for a 996TT vs 996 c4s my mechanic was very helpful in telling me the diff and that I would be much better off with the 996TT because of the block.

996TT -- very good block

Just to follow up on Pete R's last comment, I too was at the dealership last week browsing, and told the sales rep of my $ concern re: 996TT maintenance and repair. He told me that all the mechanics at his place spoke very highly of the 996TT block -- to the tone of that being the best 911 block to date (in case this point was missed - better than the 997 block). He also recommended that I look at '01 996TT private party instead of a Cayman S.

Re: 996TT -- very good block

Quote:
    He also recommended that I look at '01 996TT private party instead of a Cayman S.

Did he have dollar signs in his eyes when he made that recomendation? The '01 will have no warranty and any issues will be yours to pay for. The Turbos are great and the Cayman should be a blast but they are different cars.

Not all car salesman are greedy SOB's.

I think he made an honest recommendations. First of all, he recommended I look at private party TT's while an '02 was sitting right in front of us. Second, there are several dealerships and reputable independents I can service the TT's at, so there's no guarantee I will take it to him. Point of my post is still backing up Pete R's comment that the 996TT and GT3 engine block being bullet proof.

I could care less how many $$$ signs were (or were not) in that sales guy's eyes. I appreciated that he opened my eyes to the possibility of owning a turbo.

Re: Not all car salesman are greedy SOB's.

Quote:
    CalBears92 said:
    I think he made an honest recommendations. First of all, he recommended I look at private party TT's while an '02 was sitting right in front of us. Second, there are several dealerships and reputable independents I can service the TT's at, so there's no guarantee I will take it to him. Point of my post is still backing up Pete R's comment that the 996TT and GT3 engine block being bullet proof.

I could care less how many $$$ signs were (or were not) in that sales guy's eyes. I appreciated that he opened my eyes to the possibility of owning a turbo.

Nevertheless, you should keep in mind that everything on a TT is quite expensive. To some extent this applies to all Porsches, but the TT was and is the top of the line model.

Thus, I would not go for a TT without warranty (unless you can survive high expenses if something fails). I do not have the prices at hand, but if I remember correctly a new engine for the TT is 3 times the price of a M96 engine: was it 30K instead of 10K? A gearbox replacement (may not be covered by warranty anyway) is around 15K?

yah

Guys: I have driven both 996TT and 997S and honestly there is not much difference in acceleration and braking or even handling. The biggest difference I noticed was on the freeway where the Turbo has an advantage. But there is no way the 996TT could smoke the 997S. No offense to the Turbo owners, I had one and I sold it and I think while the 996TT is an awsome car the 997S is the beginning of a new era.

Your mecahnics are full of themselves I am afraid. 1st of all the 997 has the same block as the 996. Secondly do you honestly think Possche would nto use a better block in more advanced of a car???

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Guys: I have driven both 996TT and 997S and honestly there is not much difference in acceleration and braking or even handling. The biggest difference I noticed was on the freeway where the Turbo has an advantage. But there is no way the 996TT could smoke the 997S. No offense to the Turbo owners, I had one and I sold it and I think while the 996TT is an awsome car the 997S is the beginning of a new era.

I got smoked by several STOCK Turbos, especially at speeds over 160 kph. There wasn't a huge difference but I had no chance and especially over 220 kph, the Turbo was gaining more and more distance. Same with the 996 GT3 MkII: I had two encounters, one of them I knew (100% stock) and although I was able to keep up to a speed of around 150-170 kph, the GT3 moved away slowly but steady.

The 997 Carrera S with Powerkit may be a different story but I still think that at speeds over 200-210 kph, the Turbo drives off. It is different with the 996 TT Tiptronic: I had one encounter and I was able to slowly move away from him from 120 to around 220 but at around 240 kph, he was back behind me again, passing me slowly.

But I agree, especially chassis-/handling wise, the 997 sets new standards in the 911 history. I bet that the 997 GT3 and the 997 Turbo will surprise a lot of people with incredibly good performance numbers, especially when it comes to twists and turns on the track.

Quote:
    CalBears92 said:
    Just to follow up on Pete R's last comment, I too was at the dealership last week browsing, and told the sales rep of my $ concern re: 996TT maintenance and repair. He told me that all the mechanics at his place spoke very highly of the 996TT block -- to the tone of that being the best 911 block to date (in case this point was missed - better than the 997 block). He also recommended that I look at '01 996TT private party instead of a Cayman S.

Well, it isn't actually the "block" only, the whole engine is completely different, they have nothing in common.
    The new M97 engine used in the Carrera S and 4S versions is a highly modified and improved engine, based on the M96 engine from the 996. Some people say that this is the same engine but I don't agree. Porsche put a lot of development work into the new M97 engine, getting rid of most of the well known issues on the M96 engine (which in it's last years wasn't a bad engine at all, this is why they used it on the 997 Carrera/C4 versions too, not to speak about the Cayman S). There still seems to exist a RMS issue but to be honest, I still fail to see the RMS issue on cars from my dealer or people I know. But some people claim it has been confirmed on their cars, so I think there is some truth in it. My 997 Carrera S' engine has been very reliable so far, almost 16000 km and not a single problem.

Choosing between a used 996 Turbo and Cayman S is somehow weird. These are two different cars, I don't understand why somebody would choose between both. If you have the money, go for a 997 Carrera S or wait for the 997 Turbo. If you just want to drive and own a Porsche, you can't be wrong going for a Cayman S. If you still want the used Turbo, be warned: DO NOT buy one without a used car warranty, even if it costs more. A lot of owners modified their cars and especially in the US a lot of Turbos were modified using "cheap" ECU tuning or piggy back devices. If you buy from a private owner, you'll never know the truth and even dealers may not be very willing to help you to find out if the engine ECU has been tampered with. But at an official Porsche dealer, at least you get a warranty. And if you're a clever boy, WAIT until the 997 Turbo shows up or at least wait until this car has been announced officially. A lot of current 996 Turbo owners will want to sell their cars and dealers shouldn't only have a larger stock on used Turbos but maybe are willing to lower their prices in the process.

So the choice is yours:
    used 996 Turbo
    new Cayman S
    new/used 997 Carrera S

Just make sure you REALLY know what you want because all three cars are actually three different beasts.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778040 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442021 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262939 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261182 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85441 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5692 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880851 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816421 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM