Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: PARDON ME.

Quote:
    3) Custom high-end -- as good as it gets *if you can afford it*

You mean - If you WANT to afford it. Most here can afford whatever they want. But chose not to get it. What's the big deal? If you want bling so you can impress the crowd as you pass by with the bass in your car, so be it. But don't come here and try to impress us with the tired old " if you can afford it". Leave that for the Honda Civic forum.

Re: Bose or not to Bose

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Just curious, for all the folks recommending the Bose system, have you heard the standard system? While there is probably no doubt the Bose is better, do you know how much better? I just wonder how many are recommending one system over another system without having heard both systems????

Phil

By experience - by taste!

Not exactly side-by-side like the gentleman mentioned...

What I did was to sit in a 997 [Coupe, no 997 CAB at the time] with a regular Bose system at the dealership armed with my favorite CD and played the songs that I like and most familiar with.

Now I am neither sound expert nor a musician but I found the stock lacking the punch that I want & considering I was going for a CAB it made sense for me after READING what the upgraded system offered and it turns out I made the right choice for MYSELF.

MIA911's question was if WE HAD ANY THOUGHTS... not a detailed expert comparison of how it performs against aftermarket, re-sale value, yadi-yadi yada... so what if the owners of the Bose systems didn't listen to the standard ones at least you shared the fact that you are pleased with paying more, IMO that answers the "any thoughts on the upgraded system" question.

Ask a generic question you get a generic answer!

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    Quote:
    3) Custom high-end -- as good as it gets *if you can afford it*

You mean - If you WANT to afford it. Most here can afford whatever they want. But chose not to get it. What's the big deal? If you want bling so you can impress the crowd as you pass by with the bass in your car, so be it. But don't come here and try to impress us with the tired old " if you can afford it". Leave that for the Honda Civic forum.

Texas911,

Agreed. I'll add another point: One significant problem with audio upgrades is that the acoustic environment of the automobile limits the auditory perception of the human ear and its subsequent central nervous system processing (known as "listening"-I'm allowed to babble on like this-I'm a neurologist). For better or for worse, the driver's seat of a 911 is not the same as a tenth-row seat at Carnegie Hall. But audiophiles like ajcastaneda and Carlos, who can appreciate very high fidelity, are perfectly rational when they desire to upgrade their audio systems beyond the BOSE package. As Carlos has said many a time on this forum, it's all personal preference. Nobody is right or wrong here. As for me, all I'll need is sufficient power per channel to handle my Metallica S & M CD with sufficient lack of distortion to keep my ears ringing while I'm not busy listening to the twin turbochargers spooling up.

I ordered the Bose system and frankly I am very disappointed with it. It is not a patch on the Bose system in my old Audi TT - I get speaker rattles and an over dominant bass. The mid range is very poor and it's not a system I find relaxing to listen to over a long period of time.

I spend a lot of money on home audio, and agree that Bose is nowhere in the high end audio world. I think the point is that Bose have managed to get themselves a reputation (amongst people who believe their advertising) as being the best. AND they're NOT cheap! So many friends of mine have spent a small fortune on a 5.1 system for their home cinema and I've been dismayed at the quality - it's a tinny sound - yes there's plenty of bass, but it's a shabby loose bass and nothing like the quality you can get from other quality (but often cheaper) manufacturers.

I would like to upgrade the system in my 997, but don't want to spend a fortune simply because I don't spend enough time in the car to justify it. It also seems a bit of a waste to have spent that extra money on the Bose, only to rip it out of the car. The speaker rattles should be fixable, but I don't want my OPC taking my doors apart.

So all in all, I would say the Bose isn't worth it - I often find myself not listening to music at all, just to the engine.

Ed J, have you tried turning the Surround off?
    I have the Bose fitted to my 987. No vibration problems, but the surround processing sounds awful to me. I know what you mean about lack of mid-range. Best I can manage is to turn all processing off (Surround and Audio Pilot), and tweak the treble down a few notches. I haven't got PCM though.

IMHO, the Bose sounds pretty good when stationary, but as soon as you start moving...

Oh, and Surround messes up the FM reception as well.

Isn't the Bose only appreciable when the engine doesn't run or at stillstand...
    When it's running, doesn't the noise (enjoyable) cancel the differences between Bose and standard...?

my 996 has the bose system,(sold now)
    i used is for max 25% (loudness()
    afther testing the new sound system and the bose,
    i choose the standard because the sound is loud enough
    and the bass is 4 me very enjoyable.
    and my wife doesnt like the bose loge on the loudspeakers....
    and i upgrade the car with the adaptive seat instead of.

Bose.

The company happens to be based in the town where I grew up. I used to work there summers. There are no better audio engineers anywhere else in the world. Also a great success story. What other US-based consumer electronics companies do you know? The story is that the founder, Amar Bose, took his best students from his acoustics class at MIT and started it. When I was at the company he was still teaching the class. You might get a more expensive system elsewhere but not a better one if judged by faithful sound reproduction.

Quote:
    booger said:
    Bose.

The company happens to be based in the town where I grew up. I used to work there summers. There are no better audio engineers anywhere else in the world. Also a great success story. What other US-based consumer electronics companies do you know? The story is that the founder, Amar Bose, took his best students from his acoustics class at MIT and started it. When I was at the company he was still teaching the class. You might get a more expensive system elsewhere but not a better one if judged by faithful sound reproduction.

LOL - you are joking right?

Texas911,

I am willing to spend that much money to hear the texture in the first movement of Mahler's 4th Symphony (my test CD on all test drives). The Bose just doesn't do it, you can't hear individual instruments since the Bose puts them all together for as I said, a super inflated mid-range. For those not as discerning for audio in their car, fine, so be it. When it comes to audio, cost is no object for me (and Carlos for that matter).

As for the recent post with the best engineers in the world for audio, I suggest you take a tour with Wilson Audio in Colorado to see real research that matters. You would be lucky to see Bose revenue go towards actual research though their slogan says "Better sound through research". More of their money goes to marketing in infomercial-type layouts in many mass market magazines. Companies that have actually contributed to improving audio such as Bowers and Wilkins - now that's a company you should go visit to see the finest engineers in the world.

What pisses me off most is that other prestigious brands have better audio available then Porsche. Aston Martin has a Linn unit, Lexus a Mark Levinson (!!!) stock OEM unit, even Volvo has Dynaudio drivers with a head unit that process Dolby PL IIx! But then again, I'll also admit that you don't really need these kind of units in a Porsche cause of the exhaust sound. They're fitted more towards luxury cars. But for people such as myself and Carlos, who put such a discriminating premium on audio quality it's kind of disappointing.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I have the Bose fitted to my 987. No vibration problems, but the surround processing sounds awful to me. I know what you mean about lack of mid-range. Best I can manage is to turn all processing off (Surround and Audio Pilot), and tweak the treble down a few notches. I haven't got PCM though.

IMHO, the Bose sounds pretty good when stationary, but as soon as you start moving...

Concur with wtsnet, Bose surround sound is not good. My passengers say it sounds almost tin'ny at times. Otherwise, in the normal mode, I get great sound with base and treble at the +2 and +3 mark. Oh and the autopilot feature is always on.

Wilson Audio for one - arguably the finest speaker manufacturer in the world (based in Colorado)
    Mark Levinson - killer amps and electronics (Mass.)

McIntosh (New York), Martin Logan (Kansas), Definitive Technology (Maryland), Thiel (Kentucky) ... and the list goes on...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Wilson Audio for one - arguably the finest speaker manufacturer in the world (based in Colorado)
    Mark Levinson - killer amps and electronics (Mass.)

McIntosh (New York), Martin Logan (Kansas), Definitive Technology (Maryland), Thiel (Kentucky) ... and the list goes on...

Well I guess you Americans have mostly US kit in your home audio systems? I like to believe that nobody makes speakers like the British - I have a pair of ATC SCM 35 loudspeakers and the mid range simply takes your breath away. Esp with Mahler's 4th symphony! [ps which recording do you prefer? I like Sinopoli with the Philharmonia but would happily settle for Rattle or Bernstein any day...]

Quote:
    wtsnet said:

Sorry, meant to reply to your post before, yes I agree that the Surround option is hopeless. Must admit that I do have the Audiopilot on - perhaps I should switch that off too - will try it...

Well no, it depends on the application. I have a mix of Japanese and American electronics. For my home theater I use Klipsch Reference, since the horn-loaded tweeter provides excellent dynamics at any volume level. However, I have it powered by a Marantz THX Ultra Certified Amp (Japanese), and in another room, I use Classe Amps (Canadian). For listening purposes my top pick would Wilson Audio for pop-music (Watt Puppy's are adequate, Alexandria's are over the top), Sonus Faber, especially the Cremona or Stradi... for classical music (how can you go wrong with a speaker named after a violin manufacturer?) and of course Dynaudio, and JM Focal which are pretty good at almost everything.

In terms of British speakers, the new B&W is a PHENOMENAL product. The diamond tweeter really adds a heightened sense of transparency, and the sound is extremely accurate. I don't really care much for Tannoy or KEF. When I think British Audio, I think B&W.

As for Mahler's 4th, I am hooked currently on Tilson-Thomas' recording (SF Symphony) mainly because the SACD recording of it is very detailed and immersive but also because Tilson-Thomas doesn't really modify much - he lets it flow and he emphasizes certain parts of the composition without being overbearing. Pick it up, and listen to the 1st and 4th movements, you'll know what I mean. (If you don't have a dedicated SACD set-up it's okay, it is a hybrid disc) .

Anyway, I rambled on way too much just now -- I just wish we could have SACD in the car, all I know is that only DVD-Audio is available..glad to see a fellow Mahler lover.

Quote:
    Ed J said:I have a pair of ATC SCM 35

Nice. And I'm stuck with ancient Monitor Audo 202's
    I'm more Mike Oldfield (Amarok) than Mahler I'm afraid.

I've yet to make the move to SACD having spent many hours and a small fortune finding a CD player that I really like - I have a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC which gives a very warm sound, esp when it's been left on for a few days. The one area where I have ventured into US high-fi is in my headphones - I just love my Grados powered by a lovely valve headphone amp.

Interesting that you rave about B&W - they always advertise a heck of a lot in magazines and it makes me question the validity of many of the reviews. I did audition some when I bought my ATCs but was disappointed with the mid range.

I'll look out for the Tilson Thomas recording of Mahler 4 - always good to hear another interpretation.

Oh and sorry to have drifted OT...

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Just curious, for all the folks recommending the Bose system, have you heard the standard system? While there is probably no doubt the Bose is better, do you know how much better? I just wonder how many are recommending one system over another system without having heard both systems????

Phil

By experience - by taste!

Not exactly side-by-side like the gentleman mentioned...

What I did was to sit in a 997 [Coupe, no 997 CAB at the time] with a regular Bose system at the dealership armed with my favorite CD and played the songs that I like and most familiar with.

Now I am neither sound expert nor a musician but I found the stock lacking the punch that I want & considering I was going for a CAB it made sense for me after READING what the upgraded system offered and it turns out I made the right choice for MYSELF.

MIA911's question was if WE HAD ANY THOUGHTS... not a detailed expert comparison of how it performs against aftermarket, re-sale value, yadi-yadi yada... so what if the owners of the Bose systems didn't listen to the standard ones at least you shared the fact that you are pleased with paying more, IMO that answers the "any thoughts on the upgraded system" question.

Ask a generic question you get a generic answer!

Here is what MIA911 said:

"Trying to determine if I need bose on the 997. I had it on my old 996 and thought it was better than the standard system. But I am unsure on the 997. I have yet to hear a standard system yet..Any thoughts."

The way I read this he is looking for a comparison between the standard system and the Bose system. Saying the Bose is "great" helps, but without knowing about the quality of the standard system he cannot make an informed decision on whether he needs to spend $1390 to get what he needs. You apparently were able to make an informed decision by comparing both systems since you said "I found the stock lacking the punch". If you listen to just the Bose without having listened to the standard system how do you know if you need to spend the extra money? Maybe you would be perfectly happy with the standard system. You wouldn't know if you never heard it.

Probably the best answers given here were those that suggested that he listen to both systems himself. In a way this is like the "which color should I buy?" question that comes up from time to time. Some answer with colors they like, but others remind the questioner that this is a decision they need to make on their own.

Phil

Bottom line for me- I like to listen to music in my car. for $1300 I have enough faith in Porsche (I like the brand enough to spend $100k on one of their cars) to do the research necessary and install the better components in the optional BOSE to make it a better sounding system than the standard system. I'd have to be a real pessimist to think a company such as Porsche would be able to get away with charging thousands of customers for optional Bose system's for years if they didn't sound better than standard.

Grado headphones are excellent - as are Shure and Etymotic (noise cancelling models). Since we're on the topic of SACD and headphones, Sony has a new line higher than the Elevated Standard line, called "Qualia". It's so high end that they try and spin off Qualia as a separate Sony entity and in Sony stores, they have their own section. Qualia has a head phone set ($2,000 US+, unsure of exact MSRP that not only fit well and are neutral, but they were created to play SACD sources. It's a little overboard, but if you ever get a large bonus and have just purchased a CGT, then well...get em

My liking to B&W lies with one model line pretty much and that is the 800 series, the recently renovated line with the diamond tweeter. Forget the 300 series and 600 series, that's just not B&W. The 800 series have a unique, elegant look to them, and are absolutely fantastic for jazz/classical on two channel sources. It would be a little absurd to buy 5 of these for SACD, but it makes perfect sense for two-channel SACD and music coming from a system with a great DAC as you have. The DAC is definitely one of the, if not the most important part in any audio system.

If you can get a chance to sample Wilson Audio's Watt Puppy's (cute name, killer sound) do so. During Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, I noticed little coloration with an overall warm sound. Bass was articulated properly and accurately, and the top-end wasn't harsh in the least. It's a great bargain for $11,000 for that sound quality.

My dream was to have a car stereo system with Bang and Olufsen aesthetics, Dynaudio drivers and REL bass. Oh well, maybe in the near future...:-\ Did you manage to see Lorin Maazel's "1984" Opera debut at Covent Garden?

ajcastaneda,

Just to let you know about the Linn Audio system in the Aston Martins. Everyone is very very disapointed in them. I don't like the sound in mine, the bass doesn't exist (even in the 950W system). The system rattles quite a bit. I think most auto companies are just using the name of the audio system so that they can get a few more bucks.

Kunal

That would be very disappointing. The Mark Levinson system in the Lexus is superb, as is the Dynaudio driver set-up in the higher-end Volvos.

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Isn't the Bose only appreciable when the engine doesn't run or at stillstand...
    When it's running, doesn't the noise (enjoyable) cancel the differences between Bose and standard...?

This is a very good point. I'm not an audiophile, and I listened to them with the engine idling. With road and engine noise I don't know how they would have compared. The Bose sounded somewhat better to me. The difference wasn't that great to me (they both sounded pretty good to my ears), but I prefered the sound of the Bose system and thought it was worth the extra $1300.

The only way you'll know what is right for you is to compare them and see what works best for you.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Bottom line for me- I like to listen to music in my car. for $1300 I have enough faith in Porsche (I like the brand enough to spend $100k on one of their cars) to do the research necessary and install the better components in the optional BOSE to make it a better sounding system than the standard system. I'd have to be a real pessimist to think a company such as Porsche would be able to get away with charging thousands of customers for optional Bose system's for years if they didn't sound better than standard.

Everything you say is true. But what if the original poster listened to the standard system and decided it was perfect for his needs??? The current standard system is MUCH better than the previous systems offered by Porsche (even better than the optional HiFi systems of the past). I have no doubt the Bose is better. It just depends on your needs. Without listening to both you cannot make an informed decision. There are lots of folks out there who think a boom box with 5" speakers sounds great. The internet is a great place to exchange information. Some things just need to be tested by the buyer. We can't begin to guess what kind of critical ear anyone here has.

I spent more for a pair of Sonus Faber speakers for my home than the cost of my first three cars. Some would notice the difference. Some would think a $599 altogether system sounds just as good.

Phil

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    The only way you'll know what is right for you is to compare them and see what works best for you.

Exactly right! This is the only way for the original poster to determine which system is right for him. He has to listen to them both. And he may want to do it while driving to determine the difference in real world usage (not just sitting in the driveway).

Phil

Very true..

Phil,
    Are you sticking to the under 4200rpm break-in ?/How many miles do you have ?
    My service manager said "Just drive it" when I asked about the break-in. I'm being more cautious though. I'm at 800miles. When I get to 1000 think I'll edge up the max. rpm a bit.

Stradale,

Is your dealer Prestige Porsche in Nanuet? I was speaking to one of their sales guys there before I decided to go to Manhattan Motorcars for my purchase - he also mentioned the break-in period being a "just drive it" kind of ordeal

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Very true..

Phil,
    Are you sticking to the under 4200rpm break-in ?/How many miles do you have ?
    My service manager said "Just drive it" when I asked about the break-in. I'm being more cautious though. I'm at 800miles. When I get to 1000 think I'll edge up the max. rpm a bit.

I'm am trying to stay with 4200rpm, but I sneak past it once and a while. I would say I hit 4500 fairly often, but try to not go much over that. I may have hit 5000 or so a few times, but we won't talk about that. I figure I will go easy and not try to exceed it too often until I get 1500 miles or so.

Phil

No, but I've been there a couple of times. Poster 2k5c2scab bought his 997 S Cab from Manhattan Motorcars and I think he's happy with them. They have some one of the coolest collection's of cars in NY. Being a Lambo, Saleen, Panoz, Porsche, Bently, RR, Lotus dealer not many other dealers are as much fun to visit.

Exactly the same here.
    I think max was approx. 5200 rpm, maybe 3 times.
    I'm driving my car everyday to work even on the day I knew it would rain because I want to get to the 2000 as fast as possible. I might take another trip into Connecticut Saturday. If so I should have the break-in miles behind me by the end of the month. After that I'll probably alternate with one of our suv's for the bad weather days.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779188 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442233 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263102 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5803 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817494 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM