Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Small grip diameter steering wheel design has purpose?

Was killing time at Porsche Showroom. I realized why perhaps the stock steering wheel is so thin. Assuming Porsche doesn't do anything at random in the design phase of parts, do you think the thin wheel is designed for better transmission of steering information of the characteristically light steering feel of the 911?

Would a thicker wheel option be useful in a heavier car? Or a front engine car on the track?

Anyway, I like the thin stock wheel, reminds me of the roadsters I grew up with. My M3 has a thicker wheel, reminds me of NASCAR.

Yes!

I agree. I tried (admittedly 2 identical 996's one of which had the thicker rimmed steering wheel and I sensed that you lose road information, whereas the thinner standard wheel seemed to give more information back. Thicker wheel "feels" better in the hands though! In the end I prefered the thinner standard rim.

Re: Yes!

You're probably right. P sees it as the optimal for the car I'd imagine.

Re: Small grip diameter steering wheel design has purpose?

I wonder if it has anything to do with being able to see the guages? The thinner wheel doesn't afford much of a view, and a thicker one would only obscure them even more.

I had the standard wheel on my 996TT and always loved the thicker wheel. Now that I have the Thicker wheel on my 997 I am surprised that it is still thinner than in my CS and most other exotic sports cars. Maser, Aston, Lambo, Ferrari all have steering wheels that are much thicker. The thicker wheel (for my tastes) has a far better feel. (Not just because it has the more expensive leather)

A local dealer had two 997's on showroom - one with " thicker " sport steering wheel and one with regular sport wheel . I went back and forth and could barely tell the difference .
    These " dainty " wheels feel nothing like the thick oval sectioned MOMO str wheels we all swapped out for our cars in the pre-airbag days . The late 80s 3 spoke Ital Volante Porsche-optional sport wheel that came on the slant nosed Turbos with the solid gold-colored Porsche emblem that I still have is much thicker, too.

Agreed. There isn't much of a difference. Either one is nice. I kinda like the 996 wheel better. The only 996 interior piece I prefer over the 997's.

If you look at F1 steering wheels they don't look all that thick to me. Maybe a big fat honking wheel is a little old school.

I spend nearly 100% of my time with at least one hand on the steering wheel - thus, feel (ie material and girth) were highly important to me. I personally could tell the difference and with moderately long fingers, I felt more comfortable with the "fat" wheel.
    I didn't notice a difference regarding "road feel" between the two while driving (?too short of a test drive) -
    Now if I could only get my hands back on that wheel (car was conceived on monday - delivery ?sometime in july.....

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    If you look at F1 steering wheels they don't look all that thick to me. Maybe a big fat honking wheel is a little old school.

Can't wait 'til I start wrapping my hands around this " old school " big fat honking wheel daily !

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:

Can't wait 'til I start wrapping my hands around this " old school " big fat honking wheel daily !

Peace man!!!

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    I spend nearly 100% of my time with at least one hand on the steering wheel - thus, feel (ie material and girth) were highly important to me. I personally could tell the difference and with moderately long fingers, I felt more comfortable with the "fat" wheel.
    I didn't notice a difference regarding "road feel" between the two while driving (?too short of a test drive) -
    Now if I could only get my hands back on that wheel (car was conceived on monday - delivery ?sometime in july.....

Totally agree. Had a 997S w/std wheel (thin plastic)...very annoying tactile feel of plastic; very communicative steering but hate the nonlinear steering ratio of 997S. Now have 996TTS w/thicker wheel; much nicer feel of thick leather; provides plenty of communication and precision despite AWD and has IMO a more rational linear steering ratio. Net, net hope 997TTS has similarly thick steering wheel option....and no non-linear steering ratio B.S.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:

MKW, what's latest on when M5 hits US? Heard Bimmer had couple of M6's on display at the Canadian GP over wkend....is BMW using vaporware marketing techniques? Seems like cars have been in car mags for months, yet vestigial US deliveries are still 6 mthish away....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Totally agree. Had a 997S w/std wheel (thin plastic)...very annoying tactile feel of plastic; very communicative steering but hate the nonlinear steering ratio of 997S.

I didn't know you had a 997S, VK. Tell us more.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I kinda like the 996 wheel better. The only 996 interior piece I prefer over the 997's.

I totaly agree with you. The 996 steering wheel was an excellent design, much better than the 997 one.

i also think the 997 steering quality is BS.

Mine has developed some rattles at the small metal-plastic in reality- pieces at the edges.

Cant belive this is happenning it feels like its gonna break

Quote:
    SrfCity said:

Actually the F1 wheel is pretty thick on the sides where you grab the wheel. I think it's a bad comparison though because the wheel isn't even round and there's absolutely no room for a large wheel in the F1 cockpit. But if anything a thinner steering wheel is more old school. Remember how big in diameter and thin the steering wheels were in older muscle cars and exotics. Since then diameter's have shrunk. Perhaps some of this is due to active steering ? I don't think one (thicker or thinner) is better than the other. I think it's all a matter of personal preference. I love the way the thicker wheel from my Ferrari feels and when you go from that to a standard wheel it just feels strange....The thinner wheel feels less sporty and more mainstream. The thicker wheels imo feels more high end, more performance.

IMO next to the wheel in the Enzo (which is a lot thicker than the thicker wheel in the 997) the Maserati Grand Sport has the nicest wheel out there. (Also thicker than the thicker 997 wheel) In the 997 the "smooth leather" steering wheel option is $400. For $800 the XPA - Thicker sports steering wheel in smooth leather is worth the money. Just my 2 cents though. It's more about what is comfortable to each person.

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I kinda like the 996 wheel better. The only 996 interior piece I prefer over the 997's.

I totaly agree with you. The 996 steering wheel was an excellent design, much better than the 997 one.

Wasn't it ? I was dissapointed by the 997's steering wheel design. I think the steering wheel in the 996 had a better look and feel. Especially the steering wheel of the Turbo (with stitching on the airbag)

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    MKW, what's latest on when M5 hits US? Heard Bimmer had couple of M6's on display at the Canadian GP over wkend....is BMW using vaporware marketing techniques? Seems like cars have been in car mags for months, yet vestigial US deliveries are still 6 mthish away....

First stateside cars are supposed to hit the US in Nov , as originally predicted ( Spring in Europe, Fall in US/Canada).Don't know about options yet- they are not always the same as in Europe , where " pkgs " are not the norm. I heard US and Canada may offer incongruous profit- padding combo pkgs to get one or two high demand options .

What I don't like about the standard steering wheel on my S is that its wide on the wrong axis. If you look at your hands as it grips, the shape of your fist is longer on the verticle axis but the steering wheel is thicker on the horizontal. What I mean is it looks farily thick head on but when looking at the side its very thin and that's why it doesn't feel good.

What I liked about my old M3 wheel was that it was thick in the right way.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779237 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442242 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85620 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5807 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881090 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817533 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM