Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

DE Event on the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring.

Recently, I participated in a driver education event on the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring and I would like to share some of my experiences with you.

The event was organized by the very reputable German car magazine SportAuto, together with the traffic safety center of the Sachsenring in Germany. I was pleasantly surprised to see the editor in chief of the SportAuto magazine, Horst von Saurma, being present during the entire two days. He's the one who carries out all the Supertests of that magazine and, even more importantly, he is a very sociable kinda guy. His thorough sports car knowledge, particularly in connection with his extensive experience of the Nordschleife, is quite impressive and it's very entertaining to just listening to some of his stories!

The actual driving education took place in groups of no more then 8 people with one instructor assigned. All instructing was done, while completing full laps of the entire 20,6 Km course. Each participant did have a walkie-talkie speaker in his car, through which the instructor was giving hints and tips of what to look out for on a quick lap through the 'green hell'. Our instructor was extremely competent (btw, he won this year's drift challenge, organized by SportAuto as well) and at the same time, he was very companionable. I certainly learned more in those two days then during all the other DE events ever visited combined. BTW, we did roughly 1,000 Km on the Nordschleife in those two days.

However, the ABSOLUTE highlight for me was the taxi ride that I won. One lap around the ring in a black Carrera GT, driven by Horst von Saurma. I simply don't know how to explain my feelings about this ride. Probably, you'll get the best idea of how I felt, if you take a look at the pictures 'C-GT 03' and 'C-GT 09'. Horst said that the lap with me was probably slightly below 8 Minutes!!!!!!!!!

More pics of the event here

I still have this silly grin in my face . Wonder how long that will last

Sorry for the length of my post but I am still getting so excited when just thinking about the two best days in my 'car-drivers-life' so far!

Gregor

Re: DE Event on the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring.

That's great stuff, Gregor!!!

That looked like so much fun Gregor! and in nordschleife no less. Thanks for the pics
    And a lap with Saurma in a CGT must of been spectacular!

That sounds awesome, thanks for sharing. Were you participating in your own car? Which one? Would it be presumptous to ask what the training cost was? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just starting up on driver education so I'm very interested in those training events.

/edit Think I found it. That's your own C4 cab, right? The picture collection is great.. looks like you are having a good deal of fun in your Porsche. Especially the snow events seem to be a blast.

Ente,

Your questions are not at all presumptuous to me!

Yes, we were all participating with our own cars. IMO this is the only way you actually learn something useful for daily driving! Mind you, it was a total BLAST but I still like to believe that I'm a slightly better driver now then before.

My car is the ocean blue metallic Carrera 4 Cab. If you'd like to see more of it, click HERE and go to the '2000 Porsche Carrera 4 Cabriolet'

The entire training was Euro1,500.00. This included a so-called 'warm-up' party on the evening of Monday, June 6. During this party, Horst von Saurma and a couple of other reputable race drivers, gave an introduction to the Nordschleife with some general safety tips.

Also included were two nights at the Dorint Hotel, which is directly at the racetrack. Two times breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as drinks during the day. In addition, they had a tire service from Continental with three guys, helping with tips and tire pressure adjustments. If desired, they would have changed tires for you as well.

If you'd like any additional details, let me know!

Have a good evening!

Gregor

Many thanks for the details Gregor.

What a great smile on your face. This says more than words...

Gregor,

Many thanks for your report.

Do you know whether they organize that every year? I attended a two day DE with Porsche in Leipzig this spring and am kind of planning a follow up for fall or next spring, preferably on the Nordschleife. However, there's also the Scuderia Hanseat of which I have heard good things. They are offering a three-day event there.

Matt,

Yes, this event has taken place last year already and we've been told that it will be organized next year again.

As far as I know, the only thing that was changed from last year was, that this time we were doing full laps from the beginning, all the time. I.e., the 'traditional' sector training was eliminated. I can tell you out of own experience, full laps is MUCH more fun and on top of it, it's also safer I think. The problems with sector training are that there is far less driving possible and, more importantly still, the driving speeds are quite different if you do full laps vs. sector training. In IMHO, sector training is much more dangerous. Reason being, when it comes to free driving at the end of the course, you approach certain corners with much higher speeds then you've ever experienced in sector training.

If you're interested, there is the same course offered in September of this year again. If you PM me, I can send you details.

Regarding Scuderia Hanseat. Yes, I have heard very good things about them as well. Unfortunately, I have not experienced them myself yet!?!?

Hope this helps.

Gregor

Hi Gregor, nice to see your friendly face again, long time no see and it seems you had a lot of fun.

The Sport Auto events are always fun, I wonder how Horst v. Saurma got there in a CGT. He is maybe one of the very few car journalists worldwide who actually are allowed to drive a CGT on the track.

BTW: I sent you a PM, maybe interesting for you...if you have time.

Was the course conducted in German?

Quote:
    RC said:
    The Sport Auto events are always fun, I wonder how Horst v. Saurma got there in a CGT. He is maybe one of the very few car journalists worldwide who actually are allowed to drive a CGT on the track.

He must be special since he is driving a Porsche press vehicle. Check out the license plates:

Of course he did drive a press CGT on the same track for a magazine test. Maybe Porsche considers the DE event as some sort of extension of the magazine article?

Guys,

The issue about HvS having a C-GT on loan is even more exciting.

The original idea was that Walter Röhrl himself was supposed to be our taxi driver!!!! Can you imagine THAT???

Unfortunately however, he was called by Porsche on short notice to attend a presentation of the new C4 somewhere.

Have a great day!

Gregor

great photo's gregor, thnx for sharing!!

WOW Gregror!!

That was a GREAT experience...Can't wait for the next weekend, we will go back to the Nordschelife!!

Cheers and thanks a lot for the report!!

Your face in the CGT explains everything!!!

Quote:
    Matt C said:

and am kind of planning a follow up for fall or next spring, preferably on the Nordschleife.

For a event this fall check this: ESC

I made over ten events the last two years with these guys!
    Very professional and a lot of great cars! CGT, F430, Gallardo and many porsche! More pics of several events under: pics

Thanks for your report, gregor!

Actually Max, you are one of the reasons I even participated in this event!

I have been watching your (at least I think it's you!?!?!) Nürburgring video on Maxige.com over and over and it confirmed my decision to wanting to drive there myself.

Now, after having been there for the first time, I am still watching your drive frequently. I think it's even more interesting to look at, as now I have an idea of where on the track you are and knowing how steep it is in some places makes it very exciting.

BTW, I think you're an excellent driver!

Gregor

Gregor...I am really honored to have transmitted my passion and my love for the Nordschleife through those videos!

Hope to see you soon at the Ring!!

Cheers,
    Max T.

Sure this isn't Dieter Bohlen...?

Fun aside, nice review! Thanks!

Ferdie,

If I had the kind of girlfriends he has/had, I wouldn't mind...

Other then that, he's definitively NOT one of my favorite guys!

Gregor

Quote:
    KF said:

For a event this fall check this: ESC

Thanks for the tip!

Gregor,

You just have, let's say, the good looks that Dieter wants to have...

Shall we all look for a girlfriend for you?

Ferdie,

Thank you very much for the compliment about my looks and yes, why not look for a girlfriend for me? I do have a beautiful wife though, but I guess it can't hurt to do some 'comparing' every now and then

Just to be crystal. My last statement was meant completely ironically and it does in no way reflect my true feelings in such matters. Therefore, please don't flame me for it.

Gregor

Quote:
    Gregor said:

Just to be crystal. My last statement was meant completely ironically and it does in no way reflect my true feelings in such matters. Therefore, please don't flame me for it.

Gregor

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    Ferdie,

If I had the kind of girlfriends he has/had, I wouldn't mind...

Other then that, he's definitively NOT one of my favorite guys!

Gregor

He drives a Viper now...no Porsche, no sympathy.

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    Ferdie,

Gregor

Wife reading the board too?

Hahaha!

No, she's actually not very interested in car related matters.

I guess I must have lived in North America for just a little too long. Seems like there is some of the 'political-correctness-virus' is still in my blood.

Good weekend ya'll

Gregor

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    ...Seems like there is some of the 'political-correctness-virus' is still in my blood.

Good weekend ya'll

Gregor

"Political-correctness-virus" driving a Viper? In Switzerland?

Anyways, grüazi!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5506 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM