Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting problem

After a series of screwups by the airline, last Wednesday night we found ourselves without a way to fly to our destination earlier than Friday because all of the flights were full.

I got excited. It was only 600 miles, and we could take our new 997S. Roadtrip! After getting refunds and going home to swap cars, we'd still have the better part of Wednesday night to drive, which would put us into our destination by Thursday morning latest. This sounded like fun.

To me. It was vetoed by my girlfriend.

She argued that the car only has 250 miles on it, and has already been the dealership once (I posted about the car not going into reverse last week). I said that it would be fine. She then asked do we deal with a breakdown away from a major city. Since most of the drive would be through very rural country, she had a good point. It could be hundreds of miles to the nearest Porsche dealership, or even to someone who has seen one before much less worked on one.

She had me with that arguement. We drove her car (a tried and true Lexus) instead.

Which got me wondering, how does Porsche deal with a breakdown in the middle of no-where? Do they tow the car to the nearest dealership? What happens to the driver? Are they stuck in some town they don't want to be in until the car is repaired, which could take Porsche days since they don't stock many spare parts at the dealerships?

Anyone run into this situation?

Re: Interesting problem

1. PCNA has a roadside assistance program with decent reviews.
    2. The quality of ALL cars (domestic and foreign...okay maybe not some Eastern European brand) is at a level now that a breakdown resulting in an undrivable car is REALLY unlikely. Porsche 911's occasionally have some minor problems (excepting jboyko's nightmare), but overall their pretty bulletproof. I would not hesittae on taking my 997S anywhere in the USA.
    3. MJones on this board took his 997S X-country to the Porsche Driving School in Alabama. Do a search...
    4. Have a great time! Drive safe!

Quote:
    anotheruser said:What happens to the driver? Are they stuck in some town they don't want to be in until the car is repaired, which could take Porsche days since they don't stock many spare parts at the dealerships?

Yeah. Haven't you seen Doc Hollywood?

I didn't expect it break down, and never really gave it a thought until she brought it up. Now I'm wondering what does happen if stops in the middle of no-where?

What is this another 'You talked me out of it'/ 'You talked me into it' Happy April fools day post ?
    I can't believe any guy would be so whipped.

Sorry, not fallen for it troll.

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    I didn't expect it break down, and never really gave it a thought until she brought it up. Now I'm wondering what does happen if stops in the middle of no-where?

Take a cell phone. C'mon, you may as well come on here and ask what happens if you walk out your front door and a piano falls on your head.... Anything can happen. So forget about it, and drive....

Your reverse problem was a cable adjustment, period, and it didn't keep the car from driving anyhow. The odds of it "breaking down" were next to nil, and the decision not to drive it was pure ungrounded paranoia. Fact is, you're "tried and true" Lexus, by virtue of having more miles, would be far more likely to suffer an ignition coil failure, fuel pump failure, water pump failure, or electrical failure due to corrosion or dampness from it's however-many miles of use. In modern cars, those are basically the only likely "possibilities" of having a breakdown. Your Porsche, by virtue of it's newness, has far less chance of any of those misfortunes. In short, it was all in her head. Sorry you missed out on the fun!!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    anotheruser said:

Take a cell phone. C'mon, you may as well come on here and ask what happens if you walk out your front door and a piano falls on your head.... Anything can happen. So forget about it, and drive....

C'mon now take a cell phone... it is the 20th century and you can even get one of those no roaming charges deal, just in case

Just drive baby!

Get a frickin' spare, jack and wrench. Don't depend on ANYBODY. Flats happened to me 2x in my M3. Solved it in 15 minutes with my non-stock BMW spare and non-stock BMW jack and wrench. Otherwise it would have killed me to call someone (very tired, late at night, miles from nowhere).

You're right: without a spare the car is by definition: UNRELIABLE. What WAS Porsche THINKING?

The other thing: I'd rather do six one-hundred mile trips close to home and dealer than one 600 mile trip as far as break in is concerned. I think she's made a good a point: the brand-new car hasn't been "shaken out."

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I can't believe any guy would be so whipped.

Get a life. It was a vacation. I hardly wanted to start it out with her worrying during the drive, or, even worse, with an argument over which car to take, especially after dealing with the morons from the airlines all afternoon. You know, vacation = fun?

For those of you who didn't miss the point of my post, it is a question about what happens if a Porsche breaks down in a rural area well away from a dealer. It's a reasonable question.

The cell phone idea is all well and good for calling Porsche to get roadside assistance. My question is what happens after that?

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    The cell phone idea is all well and good for calling Porsche to get roadside assistance. My question is what happens after that?

Huh? I'm not sure what kind of response you're looking for. Let's assume disaster strikes...the P-car is undrivable. You're in the middle of North Dakota. Yeah that's gonna suck. You're going to be stuck at the nearest P-car dealership. But, how is that any different than if your Lexus breaks down?

Now, I think the underlying tenor of your question is a lack of confidence in the P-car as being as reliable mechanically as your Lexus. I think most of us would disabuse you of that notion. I think that the P-car is mechanically as reliable as any make out there. And, 69bossnine is right that the chances of failure is less likely with the newer car.

Here's what happens. You call your Porsche roadside assistance. They call a ramp truck close by you. Most towing companies are networked with all major roadside assistance plans like AAA and luxury automakers. Anyhoo, within 30-45 minutes, Bubba shows up and winches your P onto the ramp truck. Don't worry, there's no chance of damage, thanks to Porsche's handy-dandy tow eye-bolt in the front bumper. Then, you're off to the closest Porsche dealership, no matter how far away it may be, they'll take you there. From there, I'm sure you've got options. If it's a quick fix, they fix it quickly. If it requires parts shipped in, Porsche will air-overnight an entire engine if they have to. If, for some reason, the part is just not available in the U.S., they would probably send you off on your merry way in a loaner, and have the car ready for you when you stop by on your return trip. No big deal. And, as was said, it's no different if it's your Lexus that takes a powder on the side of the road. I don't believe that Lexus dealerships are much more plentiful than Porsche, it takes a decent sized town. The point regarding the spare is a valid one. I take my chances because I don't feel like hauling the spare around, but I wouldn't blame anyone for being prepaired. When I haul cars on trailers, I'm prepared for roadside work like you wouldn't believe.

This is the same guy that first posted here that he wasn't going to buy a Porsche because of the problems and then after 25 people responded he changed his mind and then said -'April fools'. After that he supposedly picked up his car and it had NEGATIVE miles on it. LOL ! The guy is a troll looking for attention if you ask me. And the first person I've put on Ignore.

Thank you 69Bossnine! I didn't expect Bubba with an english wrench and Haynes manual going at the metric bolts, but didn't know if they sent in one of their guys with tools to a local shop or sent it to the dealership.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    This is the same guy that first posted here that he wasn't going to buy a Porsche because of the problems and then after 25 people responded he changed his mind and then said -'April fools'. After that he supposedly picked up his car and it had NEGATIVE miles on it. LOL ! The guy is a troll looking for attention if you ask me. And the first person I've put on Ignore.

Suggestion STRADALE: If you don't know the answer don't flame the person who posted the question. Just say "I don't know the answer but and I feel like posting a flame because someone is getting more attention than me but I'm not going to."

Yes, it goes to the dealership, and you screw the eyebolt in with your fingers. No wrench required, metric, standard, or otherwise (most tow-truck jockeys simply go with a crescent).

Quote:
    anotheruser said:

You know, vacation = fun?

from my major of mathematics and the trasverse property.....

vacation = fun
    porsche = fun therefore......

vacation = porsche!!!!!

dont know where you went, but personally i'd have sent her alone with her lexus while i stayed home and played with the porsche!!!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777630 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441864 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261061 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5617 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880727 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816164 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM