Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Walter Röhrl scares the crap out of journalists in 997 C4S

At the launch of the C4/C4S, some journalists had the opportunity to take a ride with Walter Röhrl in a C4S on a mountainroad which is part of the legendary Col de Turini stage of the Monte Carlo Rally. It was apparently a butt-clenching experience

Read it (in German) and listen to soundbytes at Spiegel Online:
    Lockstoff für Top-Gun-Kunden

Re: Walter Röhrl scares the crap out of journalists in 997 C4S

Well, I guess Walter Röhrl can scare the crap out of 90% of the journalists in a VW Golf.

Is that two tone interior colour scheme a new option? I've always disliked Porsche's approach of a single tone interior regardless of colour. That two tone looks much better IMHO and brings them into line with Audi, BMW, Merc etc.

Re: Walter Röhrl scares the crap out of journalists in 997 C

Thanks!

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Is that two tone interior colour scheme a new option? I've always disliked Porsche's approach of a single tone interior regardless of colour. That two tone looks much better IMHO and brings them into line with Audi, BMW, Merc etc.

Option BP is two tone black/terracotta
    I guess it' s good for not having the reflection of the dash board on the wind screen, but I don' tlike the look of it.

Great, thanks. My German is not as good as it used to be, so I missed some details in the article.
    But, here are three things I've learned.
    The C4S has a bigger fuel tank ( 67 l)
    The fuel consumption is a little bit higher
    The average age of the Carrera buyer is 48 years old. ( I' m 39... )

Quote:
    gnil said:

The average age of the Carrera buyer is 48 years old.

Should people that old still be allowed to drive a sportscar..

Guess Röhrl should be close to 48...

Notice how 'close' he is from steering wheel as a proof of rally driver past :-)

Quote:
    gnil said:
    I guess it' s good for not having the reflection of the dash board on the wind screen, but I don' tlike the look of it.

Thanks gnil. I appreciate that it won't be to everyon'es taste but I much prefer it. Do you know if it is only avaialble as an option with terracotta? If I change my 997 for an S I'd like black with sand beige.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Quote:
    gnil said:

Thanks gnil. I appreciate that it won't be to everyon'es taste but I much prefer it. Do you know if it is only avaialble as an option with terracotta? If I change my 997 for an S I'd like black with sand beige.

Here are all the two tone options:

BK blck/stone grey
    BM black/sand beige... your wish has become true!
    BP black/terracotta

That's all

Quote:
    gnil said:
    Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Quote:
    gnil said:

Here are all the two tone options:

BK blck/stone grey
    BM black/sand beige... your wish has become true!
    BP black/terracotta

That's all

Are these "Exclusive Options".....Porsche web site doesn't have any info. Only for '06 or certain models??

Are these "Exclusive Options".....Porsche web site doesn't have any info. Only for '06 or certain models??

No, no exclusive options. They are the interiour equipment options when you go to your dealer and he configurates your car on the Porsche Intranet system. Mine where done on the 997 C4S. ( They are new options thaugh)

Quote:
    The average age of the Carrera buyer is 48 years old

A sales person at the local OPC here in London alleged that the average Boxster buyer was 42 years of age, the average 911 buyer was 49 and they were aiming for about 39 with the Cayman. The Cayman logic didn't quite click for me as I figured the age curve was related to the cost of the model and since the Cayman was to be more expensive than the Boxster, how could the target group be younger? *scratches head* Car pooling with students and interpolating?

Anybody have a picture of option BM (black/sand beige)?

There is a photo of black/sand in the german auto motor und sport issue of june 8th... unfortunately i havent got a scanner... maybe someone else can help!

Quote:
    ISUK said:

Ahh, we are talking about racedrivers here and you mention two-tone interiors...

Am I alone amongst girls?

P.S. Just joking.

P.P.S. Walter Röhrl is born in 1947 - count for yourself. It is amazing and almost a shame that he is the biggest motorsports talent and icon in German rally history - and that he is able to scare automotive experts with his driving.

P.P.P.S. The two-tone interior is supposed to be a regular option, NOT an exclusive one!

Can I get that two-tone interior color to match my purse?

Ask Porsche for an exclusive purse via the Exclusive department, the other way round is only possible if your purse is coloured in Aubergine/Pink combination...

Interesting statistics...but presumable this only relates to new car purchases...I'm sure when you take into account the enormous used car buyers market, the ages will come down dramatically...effectively, what I'm saying is that the age doesn't reflect the car's appeal to particular buyers but rather it just reflects their buying power.

As such, an absolute comparison is not that revealing...BUT what would be revealing is to compare these stats relatively across different countries/continents....i.e. to figure out at what age a person in each country has earned enough to buy a property, afford private school fees, private health care etc and save enough money to buy their dream indulgence for the road...

Taling about "average" customers I can recall as many young Boxster drivers as elder guys, the one receiving the car as an intro to Porsche's sportscar world, the other one as a gift for retirement!

The target group for the Cayman is indeed a little funny, I would actually assume a lot of young guys to get this car, due to its obviously superb handling.

By the way, Walter Röhrl, as stated in a report in SportAuto, took the Cayman around the Nordschleife in 8:11 min. which should be about even to or better than the 997 Carrera. Horst v. Saurma drove the Carrera S around the Ring in 8:05 min., though Röhrl could do it in 8 min. flat I assume!

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Notice how 'close' he is from steering wheel as a proof of rally driver past :-)

This is just a photo from press office. It's not his natural style.

Actually he is a very tall guy (about 1.95m) and during C4 presentation he was NOT driving close to the steering wheel.

I know that very well because a colleague of mine was inside a red C4S's right seat for these magic 7-8 minutes.

Yesterday he was telling me that he was body was in a very relaxed position with arms almost stretched- he is old school driver regarding this issue.

He was also amazed by his speed (the short route was closed for the event), his last second brake apply and smooth movements.

Even though the road was very bumpy the car was extremely stable and well planted.

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    ...He was also amazed by his speed (the short route was closed for the event), his last second brake apply and smooth movements.

Röhrl is famous for his very smooth, almost unspectacular style - opposed to his passengers' on the right seat...

Old school is actually sitting pretty close to the steering wheel.
    As far as I know WR, this is really his natural seating position.
    Due to his long feet, some cars may not be perfect for him.
    The last time I saw him, he was driving a C4S Cab (I think it was his "private" car) and he definetely had NOT his arms stretched (I actually wonder who would drive his car that way because it isn't only dangerous in the case of an accident, you also don't have a good feel for the whole car).

That's what my colleague told me. He was sitting next to him during that route (Col du Turini).

Generally speaking new breed of WRC drivers are used to sit closer to the steering wheel.

Another scared journalist

Quote:
    As we approached a blind bend at more than 100mph I realised just how big a mistake I had made. Getting in a Porsche with Walter Röhrl, four times winner of the Monte Carlo rally, seemed like a good idea at the time but the old boy had clearly lost his marbles.

Porsche 911 Carrera 4S By Andrew Frankel of The Sunday Times

Does anyone know if these color combinations are also available on the 06 Boxster ? I asked my dealer but he can't seem to find the info

Thanks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441952 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261129 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5662 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880804 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816322 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM