Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RATTLES , Who has got them..??.

Right Guys ,,

This is my only concern and it keeps showing its ugly head across forums..

Just how many of you have these irritating rattles and squeaks because from what I learned and read there are quite a few and Porsche just seems to wash there hands with them , for obvious reasons like there very time consuming to find and to put right , in other words they create cost thus eating into profits .

This is a grey area on par with the classic back ache in the medical world and the car sport set up is not a good enough excuse..

Any feedback ,, please..

throt.

PS :: Sorry to be negative..

Re: RATTLES , Who has got them..??.

I noticed it when driving a 997 demo for two days. Came from the right side in the back. Maybe the rear seats? Just a small rattle, but drives me mad. My 2003 Boxster S doesn't have it...

O GOT RATTLES AND RATTLES AND RATTLES

even my steering wheel-not the mechanism- the actual plastic streering wheel, got rattles, at first i used to grap it to get out of my car just to hold from something,now i noticed with car engine turned off, stereo and windows up,that the plastic steering wheel, has rattles at the 2 ends where the small metal panels are....cant justify they are from pulling

moreover my roof has rattles when entering garages, my sunnroof when open, and some in-dash rattles...i find it "cheap" for a car well driven with extreme careful,at just 7500 km !

More over driver's matt is destroyed with Porsche dealer saying "Sorry, the matts are not covered by warranty"

I m just so mad next time i m there i m gonna make sure everyone hears what i got to say

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    O GOT RATTLES AND RATTLES AND RATTLES

even my steering wheel-not the mechanism- the actual plastic streering wheel, got rattles, at first i used to grap it to get out of my car just to hold from something,now i noticed with car engine turned off, stereo and windows up,that the plastic steering wheel, has rattles at the 2 ends where the small metal panels are....cant justify they are from pulling

moreover my roof has rattles when entering garages, my sunnroof when open, and some in-dash rattles...i find it "cheap" for a car well driven with extreme careful,at just 7500 km !

More over driver's matt is destroyed with Porsche dealer saying "Sorry, the matts are not covered by warranty"

I m just so mad next time i m there i m gonna make sure everyone hears what i got to say

Must take so much enjoyment away Dilinger and such things like the steering wheel can only be down to poor quality ..

throt.

I've got 'em. Glove box, drivers seat, and ocasionally somewhere in the back/back seat and in the dash as well. The door used to rattle but it stopped a couple of months ago. 6500 miles.

yes my door too, or we got used to the rattle

I remember not wanting a cabriolet again because of the rattles but now.....:(

Same thing. Door rattled for about the first 200 miles. Now 2,300 miles, pretty tight. No leaks either!

When I first received my car from the dealership, I too, had rattles... mostly in the dash area. And not only rattles, but squeaks too. I returned it to the dealer and they were able to fix the annoying rattle in my dashboard. However, when it is cold, and I have the top up on my cabriolet, it has rattles and squeaks everywhere when hitting any type of rough spot on the road. I returned it again and I was told there was nothing that could be done about the noise from my top... especially when it is cold...

When the weather is warm... there are no rattles or squeaks...

you know that if you come to Greece the weather is always hot?? NEVER COLD!

lol... you offering?

of course! of course!!

Why have rattles when you can have a rattle-free life in HOT Greece!!

LOL.. I think we are in the wrong thread... exit stage left...

My 996 Turbo had a few rattles. The most annoying one came from the sun roof, right above my head. It only made noise on bumpy roads. I isolated it and could stop it from rattling by pressing up against it with my hand. I never bothered to have it repaired. I stopped bringing my cars in to service with every single minor annoyance. Especially now with Car Fax history reports I don't like to rack up a bunch of visits perhaps making the car look less attractive to the next buyer. What I do now is take note of the problem and when I bring the car in for a required oil change etc. I take care of the little stuff all at the same time. I've also learned that many times these little squeaks and rattles go away, and sometimes the service department can make them even worse. Most importantly I've learned that often minor rattles is just part of owning a stiff suspension sports car and not to let them bug me. So far no squeaks or rattles with the 997 S Cab. after 1 week ownership / 600 miles.

well Stradale,wait just wait and rattles will knock your door!!!

I hope not Dilinger.

me too STRADALE but things are showing that cars inowdays do not last for long as "rattle-free"

Just takes a little driving and they develop.even if you drive carefully

Chill throt my C2s has now done 3000 miles and no rattles worth mentioning.All cars develop minor rattles/squeaks and i absolutely hate them but in my opinion this car cannot be critisized too much for rattles.

Rattles? What? U2? Hum...

Mine has a few from the sunroof and what seems to be from a loose clip for the muffler on the driver's side. I'm hoping the dealer will do the work pro Bono, or it will push me to The Edge...

Re: Rattles? What? U2? Hum...

Actually I agree... My car was in the shop for other issues, and I mentioned the noise to them while I was there... And I also decided that it was the price to pay for having a stiff suspension too...

On the other hand, I don't plan on selling my car... I wish to keep this one

Anyone else have what sounds like (2) 2x4's of wood being dropped on 2 others - from the right rear passenger area? I do, its slightly muffled, only hear it over some very sharp bumps, doesn't bother me but I am curious what it might be.

Patriot

Quote:
    Patriot said:
    Anyone else have what sounds like (2) 2x4's of wood being dropped on 2 others - from the right rear passenger area? I do, its slightly muffled, only hear it over some very sharp bumps, doesn't bother me but I am curious what it might be.

Patriot

2 Pieces of wood LOL .. ..

Hope you get to the bottom of this one.

throt.

Something is creaking up front when I turn the wheel sometimes and when I go over bumps. Somebody said in another thread they had a problem with creaky sway bar bushings. I had the car into the dealer yesterday and they said they only barely detected a creak and lubricated the suspension bushings in front, including the sway bar. Of course, the car creaked loudly as I left the dealership. I'll take it back, but I doubt they'll ever be able to fix it.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

"Dilinger and Jenna sitting on a tree..." sorry guys I couldn't help it....

Got some here...

Under the steering column and right side back seat... I thought the back seat rattles was from the windstop but it turns out I think its from the inside panel.

My passenger seat rattles over hard bumps if there is no passenger in the seat. They are the sport adaptive seats and the dealer said it is a somewhat common complaint. You can take your hand and tap on the plastic back and reproduce the rattle. The tech tried to fix it (lube and felt) and it's actually a liitle worse. Even the driver seat will rattle if you tap hard on the back but since it's never driven without someone sitting in it... Chalk it up to a sporty suspension; I can live with it if it doesn't get worse. I've seen one of these seats taken apart in the shop and they are so complex I'm surprised there aren't more rattles.

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Got some here...

Under the steering column and right side back seat... I thought the back seat rattles was from the windstop but it turns out I think its from the inside panel.

Bose fittings , could it be..

Had a PM from a buddy poster stating he removed a Bose box from the rear right and it cured the fault..

Good Luck..

throt.

Absolutely no rattling or creaking until now 3,300 km (touch wood).

Only sometimes the rear wind screen is not perfectly in place and is a little bit rattling.

Maybe it's because of the PSE that I'm not able to hear something else.

BAH SEVEN! I think porsche should install PSE as a substitute for not being able to fix rattle for free I have a sqeak coming from the top right side of the frame for the top, otherwise nothing else.

@dilinger: i'm starting to notice a pattern on how all your posts end up revolving around jenna lol!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    BAH SEVEN! I think porsche should install PSE as a substitute for not being able to fix rattle for free I have a sqeak coming from the top right side of the frame for the top, otherwise nothing else.

@dilinger: i'm starting to notice a pattern on how all your posts end up revolving around jenna lol!

What about a porsche walkman Mike , or a pair of headphones from the MP3 player..

That cure it.. ..

throt.

Quote:
    Seven said:
    Absolutely no rattling or creaking until now 3,300 km (touch wood).

Only sometimes the rear wind screen is not perfectly in place and is a little bit rattling.

Maybe it's because of the PSE that I'm not able to hear something else.

Seven,
    Thanks for another good reason to order PSE.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Got some here...

Bose fittings , could it be..

Had a PM from a buddy poster stating he removed a Bose box from the rear right and it cured the fault..

Good Luck..

throt.

Great Tip.... I had my Friend drive me around while I stay in the back seat to hear it out and it does come from the Bose Speaker.... Youre a good man Sir!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776736 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85097 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5500 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880529 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815663 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM