Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: How about a CLEAN black S??

omg!!! i wish i had a "garage" like that! more pics please 69bossine!!!

Well, we used to keep it open to the public, and the cars occupied about twice the floorspace that you see dedicated there. But when time came to expand the business (priorities priorities, you've gotta pay the bills....) into a new product line, we had to squeeze and condense the car collection into a far tighter space, to make room for shelving. The cars are so tight, you don't dare let the public through, because they get in-between stuff and damage it, and I'm not about to pay a full-time employee to sit out there to police the area. We've got a 200,000 sq ft expansion on the planning table as I speak, and once that is done, we'll spread the cars back out and open the doors back up. No fee. We don't advertise it, it's really there for our customer's enjoyment, and we use the low-mile unrestored cars a ton for research and benchmarking reproduction parts that we sell.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    omg!!! i wish i had a "garage" like that! more pics please 69bossine!!!

There's over 150 cars in there, I can't photo 'em all, the webmaster will boot me. Any requests?? If Detroit built it, I must have one somewhere!! LOL!!!! Don't expect any Mopar, we only have a few. Not because we don't like them, it's just the way the cookie has crumbled over the years.

What an amazing collection, it must hurt when you sell one

How bout a close-up of the Shelby motor? Any late 67-69 Camaro Z28's or RS's? I guess I need to look out for you on the Speed Channel when they do all those auctions...the guy in the back row with all the cash!

69Bossnine your black 997s look superb with that terracotta interior
    your showroom pics are awesome fella

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, cowboy.

You're not going to get away with dropping this on us! I think we need a very complete walkthrough of this garage you've got there. This I want to see!

D.

what polish do you all use??? some nice clean cars out there.

Holy moly, 69bossnine, quite a collection you have there.

Is there any system or pattern behind this amazing collection?

Would love to see some more pics.

Superbe, boss, superbe collection !
    Are all those cars "functional" ? I mean do you let all the engines run regularly ?
    I imagine all the engines, specialy the V8, running together in the garage ! What a symphonic orchestra ! Earthquake in Ut Major ! With smoke clouds ! Great !

jesus mary and joseph man... it's like heaven on four wheels and painted metal...

cartouche... you sly dogg many thanks for helping the man upload pics.... do try to do more uploads sir...

Thanks guys.. To answer some various questions:

1. I'm a Meguiar's guy. It's cheap, available, and works great. The wax market is getting like frigging bottled water marketing. Companies waxing poetic (no pun intended) with all kinds of marketing hype to make their product stand out and differentiate, and guys posting internet photos that don't really tell you a damn thing. Anything can look fabulous in a low-res .jpg viewed on a monitor. It's a waste of time to post a picture, and then blather about how great your polish is. I could wax a new 911 with Rain Dance, and put a photo on here that would burn your retinas out of your eye sockets. Zaino guys love to post pictures. I can't tell you how many "best paint" trophies I've collected with my Boss 429, with nothing more than a coat of Meguiars on an absolutely perfect bare-paint surface. So deep, you can see China in the reflection, and the guy next to me rubbing on his umpteenth zillionth coat of Zaino asking me, "dude, what do you use?? You're paint is frigging incredible!!!". It's not rocket science. It's starting with a perfect surface, or getting to a perfect surface, and then KEEPING it that way. Your main concerns should be ease of application, removal, how long it lasts, and whether it leaves powdery residue. Meguiars is as good as anything else in my opinion, and it is more user-friendly than most. I don't like synthetics or poly's, because I'm dealing with a ton of varied types of paint, original paint jobs, and old-technology lacquers and enamels that can react or craze if sealed in a way that does not "breathe". Good old Carnauba does the trick for me. I use Meguiar's Gold Class on my 997, BTW. And no, I didn't clay it and polish it with a bunch of steps prior. That's just wasting time and energy on brand-new crystal-clean paint. Polishing a new paint surface is like washing a perfectly clean window. You're not getting anything done, you're just playing mind-games with your eyesight, and burning alot of calories and doing alot of steps that could have been skipped, when all you really needed was a good wax/polish product to achieve an identical result. The only time you need to start going nuts with polishes and preps and clay bars is after the paint has been battered over time by outside elements like sun exposure, bugs, towel scratches, and all the funky stuff that winds up on the road, and then gets sprayed all over your car mixed with rain water when you drive in the rain. Sorry so long-winded!!!

2. Yes, everything is functional. But there is no schedule for starting and running each car. We've literally got more than we can handle, so we approach it as best we can. Being a dry and air conditioned environment, a car can sit for years, and we'll put fresh gas in it and it'll run out perfectly. Climate control is EVERYTHING when cars sit.

3. I don't have a 67-69 Camaro. Those are tough to find in "virgin" condition. And the restored Camaro market is a mine-field of fakes, and restorations of cars that had been absolutely destroyed, and then brought back from the dead. They look pretty on the outside, but it's what's hidden that scares you stiff. I'd say that Chevy Camaros and Chevelle's are the toughest to find as truly A+ cars, as they were so abused through the 70's and 80's. Again, the restored Chevies always scare us, fear of the "unknown".

4. It rarely hurts to sell one, because we rarely sell anything. And when we do, it's because we found a better example of the same car, or it was a weak car that we decided ought to go to make room for better stuff.

I'll do a few more photos later, but I'm too busy now.

Tremendous stuff there, Boss!

I appreciate your point about climate control as essential to preservation. Trying my darndest not to absolutely pepper you with inane questions, but-- esp considering your Florida location-- is there an ideal HUMIDITY % range you have found for long term storage of these beauties?.... or maybe by default the A/C takes care of humidity.

Do you use STA-BIL in the fuel tanks, or some similar product?

Any interior pics of the Shelby 500 would be very cool.

Also, without knowing much about them I've always been smitten with the early 60's GM (C-bodies?)....the long, low, sleek, edgy coupes and sedans--think Electra 225/ DeVille chassis and their Olds-Buick derivatives; pics if you have any please. Cheers.

(Dilinger, try to control yourself re: USA Mustang babe below hahaahaha )

nice collection! how many imports are there? 2, the 928 and the 997!

very cool!

What's the "ideal" humidity?? As little as possible!!! The A/C takes care of it. But step outside this time of year, and you're sweating before your foot steps over the doorsill. Early 60's GM full-size?? No problem, I'll serve you up a couple in a bit...

Oh, BTW, Sta-bil is gargage. Yes, it DELAYS the souring of the fuel, but our experience is that if you let gas go sour with stable in it as well, that the resulting mess in your fuel system is exponentially worse. When fuel with Sta-bil in it goes bad, it clogs up everything like silly-putty. So it's rather pointless in my view. Much easier just to not leave gas in the tank. Pump it all OUT. If you really insist on having some fuel in it, use hi-octane racing fuel, it has a longer shelf life.

O.K., here goes some early-60's GM. First-off, two restored 1960 Pontiac Bonnevilles. The red hardtop is easily the best in the world, and has won an Amelia Award, and AACA's prestigious Baumgartner award. We went rather "nutty" on that restoration, as my dad's mother drove one identical to it when dad was a teenager.

Next is a 12,000 original-mile unrestored '63 Caddy Series 62, and the most valuable car in our collection, a 1963 Impala SS409 that is that actual, documented, 50,000,000th Chevrolet produced. It was driven off the assembly line to much fanfare and press coverage in 1963 by Nelson Rockefeller. It has only traveled 107 miles in its lifetime, and is absolutely like new.

Here's a 21,000 original-mile unrestored '64 Impala SS 327-300 h.p. 4-speed.

And I decided to photo these. They are not full-sized, but cool nonetheless. They represent some of the best years of GM "personal luxury" in the 60's. A 1966 Olds Toronado with 1208 original miles, and a 1967 Buick Riviera with 10,600 original miles. Both totally unrestored of course.

Wow---stunning. Thanks for pics. What a great mix...and the fact that you're cruising around in a 997S really takes the cake.

Impressive inventory in the background; looks like set to fill parts orders for the next several decades!

Wow! Eleanor.
    Jay Leno has nothing on the Boss man !

69 I know that you know that you are on of the luckiest guys around being around all those fabulous beauties all day long. That is an impressive display. Well i don't exactly know where your located but I'm down in Austin in November and I'd love to look at that collection if your open once again to the public.

It certainley speaks volumes that your a p car lover with all of that nostalgia around. I've always had a love for two cars 911 first and the gt 500 second man is she ever a beauty. I trust youve seen what Unique Performance does to build the eleanor look alike that Carol himself has endorsed. Obviously its nowhere near an original but still nice to look at from what I've seen on their website!

If I ever expand my collection that is my next car and I think I will have hit nirvana

Boss man, thanks for taking the time to show us some pics. You certainly have the most impressive car collection I have ever seen. I, like pic911s, wouldn't mind stopping by one day if I'm ever close to your facility. Usually go to Destin area during the summer (beach) and Orlando during the winter (Disney). Maybe one day I'll get my Shelby to round out my personal collection of cars for a total of two (2). Noticed in a magazine yesterday Ford/Shelby will start selling a remake of the 69 later this fall for about 40K. Looked pretty nice. Already started talking to the better half about this, but don't think she was listening....

Anytime anybody here is in the area and wants to take a look around, let me know, I'll give you the best dime tour you've ever had.

Thanks for the pics, that's fantastic. Any Ferrari's or exotics by chance?

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Thanks for the pics, that's fantastic. Any Ferrari's or exotics by chance?

Hell no, exotics are too damn expensive!!! LOL!!

But seriously, part of the fun of our collecting has been collecting SMARTLY. Buying cars that are undervalued, underappreciated, at the time. Speculating. There is NO END of cool cars for sale, at any time, to collect. Any rich dope can collect a ton, all it takes is money. Collecting WISELY, and finding one-of-a-kind virgin low-mile cars, and not getting duped or cheated, and having the knowledge and background to know and verify that what you're looking at is real (alot of fakers out there, especially with mileage and originality). That's an art and an adventure. It's a blast. That 1,200 mile Toronado took me 2 years to finally bag, from a community college teacher who had it parked in his one-car garage in his 1,200 sq ft house in a ghetto neighborhood with a hole sawed between the living room and the garage to keep it air conditioned. And he was TOUGH to finally turn my way, at the price I wanted to pay. Took awhile. I could have bought it the first time I saw it, but after two years of patience and friendly keeping-in-touch, I paid half what I would have splurged had I numbly just thrown his original price at him. That's fun. Seeing a Shelby or Ferrari on eBay, and grudge-bidding against a half dozen dopes with more money than brains, and then hauling it home after paying a ridiculous price, that's no fun, that's no feeling of accomplishment, that's just boredome and stupidity and vulgarity, Beverly Hills style. Collecting can be like hunting. You can head into the woods with your bow and arrow on your back and really have an experience, or you can put a tiger in a cage and blast at it with a fully automatic machine gun. We're more like bow hunters than sadistic fat cats. We've got money, but we didn't make it being numbskulls with it.

Also, we've got a penchant for digging stuff that's outside of the mainstream. It's a great way to find deals that really turn to gold with time. EVERYBODY drools over exotics, but a collection of them isn't terribly imaginative, is it?? And you're battling a crazed crowd of nouveau-riche doing it. It just takes a rich guy scratching big checks to create a bit collection of exotics. Our collection, you couldn't dream of duplicating, no matter how deep your pockets were. They may be mostly non-exotic American iron, but in the condition they are in, and the mileage, and the stories (we have alot of VIN # 00001 cars, "last" cars, milestone cars like the 50 millionth Chevy, the 100 millionth Ford, the 150 millionth Ford, we've got grandsons William Clay, Henry II, and Benson Ford's 1956 Mark II Lincolns.., etc.etc..), it's simply been a journey in finding cool stuff, right place, right time, right price.....hopefully .

Thanks for the virtual tour Boss

Well done, thanks for everything. Have you tried Zymol instead of Meguiars?

Once again wOw....

hey boss what are those under the car?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802450 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265868 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89878 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6347 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885242 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831666 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM