Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

100,000 Cayenne

ATLANTA, June 7 -- Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, today celebrates a production milestone a little earlier than expected: The 100,000th Cayenne, a Turbo model finished in "Prosecco" metallic paint, rolled off the production line at Porsche's Leipzig plant. "You are proving that we can build excellent automobiles in Germany at competitive prices that people want all over the world," said Michael Macht, Production and Logistics Director for Porsche AG, speaking to the 400 employees in the Leipzig plant. "No one in the industry believed that we could achieve this level of success."

The Leipzig plant opened in August 2002. Porsche originally estimated unit sales of 25,000 vehicles annually. However, since its launch in December 2002, demand for the Cayenne has exceeded expectations. In the 2003/2004 fiscal year, Porsche sold nearly 40,000 vehicles worldwide. Porsche will reach the same volume in the current financial year. "We are operating at maximum capacity. And demand is showing no sign of slowing down," said Macht.

North America is still the key market for the Cayenne, where Porsche sells approximately 40 percent of the luxury sport utility vehicles. Porsche Cars North America sold 17,457 Porsche Cayennes in fiscal year 2003/2004 and is on track to finish the current fiscal year, which concludes July 31, at the same level. Thanks to the Cayenne, Porsche is also recording its highest growth rates - at times running to triple digits - in China, Russia, Latin America and Southeast Asia, as well as countries in the Middle East.

Text courtesy PCNA. Photo courtesy GermanCarFans (link)

Re: 100,000 Cayenne

I remember the days (not long ago) when people were predicting the Cayenne project would be a flop and Porsche would go bankrupt .... They were wrong and the Cayenne is still Porsche's best selling model ever !!!!

The previous all time high was reached in FY 2001/02 by the 996 reaching 32,337 units.

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

I remember the days (not long ago) when people were predicting the Cayenne project would be a flop and Porsche would go bankrupt .... They were wrong and the Cayenne is still Porsche's best selling model ever !!!!

The previous all time high was reached in FY 2001/02 by the 996 reaching 32,337 units.

And if they would listen to their long time customers and owners, they would have sold even more or at least they would have kept customers for the future Cayenne models.

Right now, I'm gonna retrofit the Powerkit to my Cayenne Turbo and that's it. No more Cayenne EVER because Porsche ignores customer complaints and even insults customers who make complaints. It happened to me and I have no plans whatsover to buy a Cayenne again.
    I stick with the sportscars, this is what Porsche knows best...still. If the 997 Turbo isn't the kind of car I and many other Porsche customers expect, Ferrari or Lamborghini will be very happy in the future.

Quote:
    If the 997 Turbo isn't the kind of car I and many other Porsche customers expect, Ferrari or Lamborghini will be very happy in the future.

It would not surprise me at all to see Lamborghini or Bentley producing an SUV based on the Touareg/Cayenne platform, or the derivative Audi Q7. VAG has already hinted at this possibility. The only thing that may stop it is the current slowdown in Large SUV sales. But, there doesn't seem to be any slowdown in the Crossover SUV popularity. It loooks like the RX400h is going to be a big hit. I hope the Toyota system is the technology Porsche eventually uses in their hybrid.

wow they've sold 100,000 cayennes in 4-5 years?! very impressive!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    wow they've sold 100,000 cayennes in 4-5 years?! very impressive!

The Cayenne was introduced in 2003 so 100,000 in two and a half years.

lol oops!!! i'm thinking about the x5 :P mixed up my dates, well wow, 2 and a half years. that's even more impressive! thanks for the correction GM austin

Re: 100,000 Cayennes, all with Throttle Hesitation

I really wanted a Porsche Cayenne for OFF ROAD use.

The throttle hesitation is obnoxious, the steep option price to get a locking rear and center diffs I could live with, but all combined with the lack of a manual gearbox(USA Only, WTF!!!!!) with the V8 I cant. The idea of driving a automatic Porsche truck with dubious gas pedal
    response is just too frustrating to buy into.

If they ever do solve the throttle delay, offer a manual
    gearbox with the V8, Locking diffs and tow hooks front and rear, I will get one.

Re: 100,000 Cayennes

The Cayenne is completely ready for off-road use!

Haven't you seen my gallery? --GM's Rennteam Gallery--

I would like the locking rear diff as well but it's not essential in anything but the most severe circumstances, I've found. Built in tow hooks would be cool as well but I have no problem screwing some in to the four locations available as needed. I also keep a large "D" shackle available for connecting to my towing receiver. The Cayenne's tremendous ground clearance when fully raisied really give it an advantage off-road compared to other vehicles. There are very few that can match it. I think the Cayenne is the best of both worlds, pretty darn good off-road and unmatched on road. It's a phenomenal vehicle!

Great off road pics

In the North Cascades you get alot of snow and rain when you least want it, or when you do

usually way way up its best to not go alone in case you do get stuck or go wayyyyyy of road

I looked at the Cayennes front towing eye system and it just doesnt look substantial enough to winch the truck
    from a steep angle. The rear towing mount can be modified
    for that, but goos luck finding winch mounts for the front!

I guess I was hoping that the Cayenne would be as capable in the extreme stuff as a G series or Wrangler with
    Porsches on road performance to make getting there more fun!

Maybe the 07's will have some improvements

Quote:
    Maybe the 07's will have some improvements

Not likely.

It would seem to me the momentum for SUV's is moving more toward no real off-road ability. The Cayenne has established it's off-road credentials in it's debut and it's audience has yawned. How many off-road accessories do you find for the Cayenne compared to the number of aerokit packages? Owners are only interested in it's on-road performance. My activities with the Cayenne are clearly an anomaly. Very few Cayenne owners would consider leaving the paved highway with their vehicles. I expect Porsche sees all of this and will respond accorcingly with what the customers are asking for.

Yes, the Cayenne is a real serious off-roader.

I had the opportunity to test drive its cousin the Touareg. I was most impressed with the 45 degree climb. You would stop in the middle and then (try) to start .... without ruining the poor clutch, thank you! ESP, it's very very impressive especially with wet tyres. the 45 degree downhill is nerve wrecking, as you think you're are going to roll over. Driving into the water was also very impressive (and scary). Bumps were just a "piece of cake". Lumbers were super tough but the car just did it smoothly.

Bottom line I couldn't believe such an heavy car would be that easy to drive and so capable off-road.

GM you're right to say that I'm sure for the next generation they will not focus that much on off-road capabilities and more on on-road ability.

Look at the tremendous success of the BMW X5 or the RX 430 that have extremely poor off-road abilities....

People want the look not the capacity.

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    Look at the tremendous success of the BMW X5 or the RX 430 that have extremely poor off-road abilities....

People want the look not the capacity.

how true, i must say the x5's (especially the 4.8iS) has TERRIBLE off-roading capability. there are a lot of dirt roads here in south africa and to even drive on a mildy bumpy road would probably smoother in my carrera S! the car is built for the tarmac and ONLY the tarmac but yet as you have stated, they have sold so many x5's to date it's beyond count(sarcastically speaking of course)

I must add that BMW has never ever claimed any off-road abilities for the X5. They call it a SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle).
    I attended, the X5 test drive when they introduced it. It was 100% on the road. As an option we were able to drive on a dusty road and then drive into 5" of water. They told us to go very very slowly. One of my colleague went too fast in the water, the engine was swamped and blew-up..... what a joke, needless to say that, the BMW people were embarassed .....

2-3 years ago, in Panorama, I read an article on 2 guys who crossed Autralia with a 996 C4. There was some pictures that were absolutely amazing with the "poor" 911 having water up to the middle of the doors.... They were saying, they just raised the car ground clearance and put some metal sheets underneath...

So I bet, a 911 C4 has better off-road abilities than a X5 (or X3) ...

Although I don't go off-road (much) my S is my daily ride in the North East and I need good capability to allow me to work in any weather, if they removed that capability I would not get another.

Quote:

This web site helped me make up my mind to stay clear of the Porsche Cayenne. On all fronts, Porsche sounds like a risk. I went with the Range Rover.

Quote:
    This web site helped me make up my mind to stay clear of the Porsche Cayenne. On all fronts, Porsche sounds like a risk. I went with the Range Rover.

I am sincerely sorry to hear that because, in my honest opinion, the Range Rover is no more reliable than the Cayenne, in fact probably less so. The Cayenne has some major issues, like the throttle hesitation, but that's not a reliability problem. Overall the Cayenne is an incredibly solid vehicle and the reliability problems have been mostly minor things.

Having said that, I do like the Range Rover. It is, however, a car with a different mission and a different customer appeal. No one who likes to drive their vehicles in an even slightly sporting manner would be happy with the Range Rover, which is better suited to boulevard cruising in style or in actually going on an adventureous off-road trip. Don't take those curves too fast though, it might scare you.

Yes I must say I agree with GM Austin, the Cayenne is also much much more comfortable than the Range Rover, it is still a nice vehicle none the less, but lots of other con's puts me off about it.

Oh!, I forgot to mention, we were talking about the X-5 and it's severe lack of off-road ability, which I completely agree with, and the fact that this quality has not hampered it's sales in any obvious way. I just read that the 500,000th X-5 rolled off the South Carolina assembly line yesterday.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    ...they have sold so many x5's to date it's beyond count(sarcastically speaking of course) ...

like i said earlier, they have sold a CRAP load of x5's to date

Our local BMW dealership could not sell more than one X5 4.4L for the entire year of 2004 after the Cayenne S was launched. Sales for 2005 looked bleaked too. The X5 in my country somehow cost more for much less.

Elephant Hill

Are you telling us that you did elephant hill (Canyonlands National Park) with a Cayenne? and you did not get a scratch?
    that is almost incredible!

Re: Elephant Hill

Quote:
    TT Peanuts said:
    Are you telling us that you did elephant hill (Canyonlands National Park) with a Cayenne? and you did not get a scratch?
    that is almost incredible!

You're familiar with Elephant Hill? Isn't that road incredible?! I loved it! That trail is relentless, one challange after another, something new at every bend in the road. What an adrenalin rush!

I don't think I ever said I made it through without a scratch. Mostly it was damage to the wheels in that narrow chute at the first big drop-off. I think I went down the chute fine but on the way up I was traveling a bit faster, trying to maintain momentum and not lose traction, and I believe my wheels scrapped the sides of that chute a few times then.

There was also a spot where even the Cayenne's generous ground clearance was not enough and I scrapped my drivers-side rocker a bit. Fortunately I had recently installed the rocker guards so that wasn't too big a deal. Otherwise just some brush marks along the sides, but not many really. I have many more brush scratches from the Tower Arch to Balanced Rock trail over in Arches National Park and on my many trips to Big Bend National Park. Most of those go away with a good wax job so my paint still looks pretty good. It doesn't look like some off-roaders I've seen, like the typical Jeep.

For more info Moab and my Elephant Hill adventure, see these threads:

Elephant Hill

Cayennes in Moab

Re: Elephant Hill

My wife has the X5 4.4, my brother just baught the Cayenne Turbo and I have driven a few ours.
    The Cayenne is much faster, BUT..I do prefer to drive the X5...on the road ( I wouldn' t even think going realy off road with it..as it has been said, it is not built for real off road. The Cayenne, on the other hand, is a great off roader

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM