Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust audio file comparison

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    how bout you just put it on and if she asks why the car is louder say that the engine is more run in? or just leave it off sport mode when she's around and she won't even know!

My wife has already seen the funny looking tail pipes of the PSE. So it's going to be difficult to fool her.

Thanks Carlos for all the hard work.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    how bout you just put it on and if she asks why the car is louder say that the engine is more run in? or just leave it off sport mode when she's around and she won't even know!

My wife has already seen the funny looking tail pipes of the PSE. So it's going to be difficult to fool her.

it's times like these which make me glad i'm not married

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it

BTW, when you first turn the key and start the car, PSE cars start with the exhaust ON for the first blip, it sounds really nice as it makes a nice deep "growl" when it starts. Then after that the PSE is off until you press sport chrono

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

BTW, when you first turn the key and start the car, PSE cars start with the exhaust ON for the first blip, it sounds really nice as it makes a nice deep "growl" when it starts. Then after that the PSE is off until you press sport chrono

You know you can enable sport chrono after you turn the key to the first position but before you engage the starter. I wonder if PSE is on and stays on???

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

it's times like these which make me glad i'm not married

Actually, my wife doesn't care whether I get PSE or not. And, she kinda likes the new Ferrari 430 so maybe that's coming around the corner??? You gotta find the understanding wife, that's all...

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:[/bYou gotta find the understanding wife, that's all...

That's the problem , when we got in love 24 years ago, my wife didn't came with the option: "porsche-lover"
    So she has a point when saying: It's your 4th p now, other complaints???
    I guess , I can't go on complaining about PSE, circuitdriving etc... she's top

Beltar, isn't it a possibility to say you just changed exhaust tips?
    And everytime she drives with you, you just use the PSE-off mode... as simple as that.
    We call that 'een leugentje om bestwil '

Good luck with the wife

And Carlos, thanks for the sound files, it really gives an impression of PSE. Do you think of keeping the cut-off?

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Beltar, isn't it a possibility to say you just changed exhaust tips?
    And everytime she drives with you, you just use the PSE-off mode... as simple as that.
    We call that 'een leugentje om bestwil '

Good luck with the wife

And Carlos, thanks for the sound files, it really gives an impression of PSE. Do you think of keeping the cut-off?

That could be a possibility, but honesty in a relationship is important to me, and i wouldn't feel comfortable doing something behind her back...

So I think, one possibilty is left:
    When she's complaining too much about reving till 7000o/pm , i could explain there's a possibility to hear the beautiful flat 6 better at lower rev's...>>>>PSE

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

You know you can enable sport chrono after you turn the key to the first position but before you engage the starter. I wonder if PSE is on and stays on???

I haven't tried it but I will. The PSE is always on when you start the engine and then turns off, but if the chono sport is on already before you start the engine then I'm sure PSE will stay on as well.

Porker, I want to get rid of the cut-off but keep the on/off switch, preferably also independant of the sport chrono. I.e. I will try to get an extra swith for the PSE on the console (like in non sport chrono cars) and disable the cut-off. That would be the perfect arrangement.

Carlos,
    Thanks for your great work
    Considering 1) the price of this option, 2) that I don't like a noisy exhaust at low rpm, I would like to hear the PSE over 5000 rpm...to see if it's worth the money of a retrofit. Because, as you know, I do like very much the trumpet sound of the standard exhaust above 5000 rpm...

I'm not quite sure you rev over 5000 in your sound file.
    Did you ?

WOW!!!! You are the man carlos!!!!!

I dont know what you do for a living, but between this and your other video, I think you might have missed your calling!!!! On other hand..... looks like you do pretty good for yourself with all those toys

Porsche should pay you for this comparison. If they put this on their web site I could only imaginge how many more PSE options they would sell!!!

Carlos - Very cool man.
    I agree the PSE sounds even better in real life than in the clips. And you can really hear the difference in the clips.
    In person you don't have to be a PORSCHE nut to hear the difference. The back throttle gurgling is freakin great.

As always - WELL DONE! *********THANKS************

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:[/bYou gotta find the understanding wife, that's all...

That's the problem , when we got in love 24 years ago, my wife didn't came with the option: "porsche-lover"
    So she has a point when saying: It's your 4th p now, other complaints???
    I guess , I can't go on complaining about PSE, circuitdriving etc... she's top

All I can say is....who is paying for the car? and PSE? If she is paying, then ok. If you are the one paying for the car, you should do what you like

Nice audio file Carlos and I can only agree - In real life the difference is huge between PSE on and off. The throaty growl at standstill and driving slowly in 1st gear is just amazing! I went by a garage which specializes in air-cooled Porsches and they just could not believe my 997 PSE exhaust was Porsche original

However, I still have not worked out how the cut-off works because it does not close at exactly 50km/h and open again at 80km/h. If you slowly increase speed in 2nd gear, pass 50km/h and then around 55km/h the sound gets very, very loud. I guess the cut-off does not get activated since there is not much labour on the engine plus the Helmholtz resonator kicks in around here. Then shift to 3rd, the exhaust growls like a litte monster sits under the engine and the cut-off gets activated. The side effect is that people stop and stare and small children starts crying... The same effect can be accomplished in 3rd gear around 80km/h which makes all tunnels very fun to drive through.

If you are considering PSE, there is only one thing I can say, get it! You will not regret it.

Amazing!!! Thank you so much Carlos! So far, the best sound files I've heard for PSE. Porsche couldn't have done better!

Special request: will you be doing the modification that RC explained to keep PSE ON all the time even when the SPORT button is OFF (removal of one of the 2 hoses) ? If so, it would be fantastic to compare what the PSE sounds like in each driving scenario you chose after the modification is done but while keeping the SPORT button OFF to compare it with (i) a car that doesn't have PSE or (ii) which has PSE without the modification and with PSE OFF.

Carlos, when PSE is ON it sounds absolutely amazing...the growling, rasping sound is deeper, louder....you really feel like you can hear the car's soul screaming out as the engine does its magic...

Thank you so much man It's guys like you that make rennteam so special.

Thanks guys

cartouge, I did go over 5k rpm it's just that the sound change is not as obvious as in real life. In real life the differnce of the 5k rpm sound change and the PSE is even greater than waht it seems in the recorded audio.

bluelines, the cut-off is intriguing since is not strictly speed dependant like the 996 PSE, in the 997 it's also throttle dependant, so the cut-off will start and end depending on the speed AND how much you press the throttle. If you fully depress the throttle then it with cut-off the PSE sooner and let the PSE back on later, but if you are just trailing the throttle the cut-off area is very small. There is no set cut-off speed area.

easy_rider911, I was going to try today unpluging that hose in the enegine compartment and having the PSE on all the time to see what its like without the cut-off, but maybe I won't be able to. If not I will this weekend and maybe record it if I can (if not the later on) so you can hear the difference with PSE through all the gears with out the cut-off.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Thanks guys

cartouge, I did go over 5k rpm it's just that the sound change is not as obvious as in real life. In real life the differnce of the 5k rpm sound change and the PSE is even greater than waht it seems in the recorded audio.

bluelines, the cut-off is intriguing since is not strictly speed dependant like the 996 PSE, in the 997 it's also throttle dependant, so the cut-off will start and end depending on the speed AND how much you press the throttle. If you fully depress the throttle then it with cut-off the PSE sooner and let the PSE back on later, but if you are just trailing the throttle the cut-off area is very small. There is no set cut-off speed area.

easy_rider911, I was going to try today unpluging that hose in the enegine compartment and having the PSE on all the time to see what its like without the cut-off, but maybe I won't be able to. If not I will this weekend and maybe record it if I can (if not the later on) so you can hear the difference with PSE through all the gears with out the cut-off.

Carlos,
    This is exactly what I've been experiencing as well. Same thing as what bluelines explained. The PSE doesn't always cut off at 30mph sometimes it seems to be on all the time but then if you press the accelerator hard it turns off at speeds between approx. 30-55 mph.
    Someone just mentioned that w/ RC's mod. the PSE is on all the time even with the sport OFF. Is this true ? I thought the mod. was just to keep the PSE on all the time when in sport.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Someone just mentioned that w/ RC's mod. the PSE is on all the time even with the sport OFF. Is this true ? I thought the mod. was just to keep the PSE on all the time when in sport.

Yes, it's true.

Thanks SoCalAlan.

RC IS THE MAN !!
    I just disconnected that hose. Took the car around the block and WALA - PSE ON ALL THE TIME ! Love it.
    Now I don't have to have Sport on with the firmer suspension setting to enjoy the rumble. The sport setting really is too firm imo for everyday driving. Especially on the roads I travel to work.
    I'm psyched!

THANKS RC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but stradale, you can still have sport mode on with the normal suspension setting, you just press the other button to have normal suspension. just double checking, so if you disconnect the hose your sport on/off button for the PSE no longer works for it?

You can have sport on and have the suspension set to the soft suspension ? Hmmm. Didn't know that. Guess I should really find the time to read the manuel. LOL!
    Which other button ? The one with the picture of the shock ?

Yes, if you disconnect the hose the PSE is on ALL THE TIME.

Absolutely wondeful. My S with PSE should be here around August 1st and I can't wait. Thanks for taking the time to put the recording together!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Yes, that button with switch off the firmer shocks even after you enable "sport".

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    You can have sport on and have the suspension set to the soft suspension ? Hmmm. Didn't know that. Guess I should really find the time to read the manuel. LOL!

Yes, if you disconnect the hose the PSE is on ALL THE TIME.

lol stradale! i fiddled around, k anyway, if your turn on sport mode, you'll see LED's of the sport button and that button next to it, once sport is on press that other button, suspension will go back to normal but sport mode will stay on, hope it helps

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM