Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Sport Exhaust audio file comparison

OK, as promised here is an audio file comparing the sound of the Porsche Sport Exhaust vs off.

This is the best I could do to capture the sound, like in photos; the car always looks better in the real life, well same with the Porsche Sport Exhaust, but you can get an idea.

I added a video stream in order to put subtitles so you know exactly what you are hearing at each moment; PSE on, PSE off, under cut-off, clears cut-off, from inside, from outside, pass by, launch, etc.

Its a 5.7MB .mpg file which RC uploaded to the Rennteam server for us.

Use right-click and "save as...":

997S Porsche Sport Exhaust

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust audio file comparison

thanks carlos, you are the best!!! downloading now...

Thanks Carlos, your the man...
    The pass by sounds awesome and highlights the sound difference.
    Is PSE noticeably louder when diving normally?

thanks Carlos, great job and sound. my tt sounds really poor against that...

wow carlos, it sounds great, i especially like the one where it drives past with PSE on, it sounds AWESOME!! have you spoken to seven about the cut-off thing yet?

OH king carlos of spain....This was something you'd better NOT done...
    Such an enhancing comparison
    I thaught my car had a beautiful sound, but now i'm going to have nightmares hearing your files over and over again...
    Lady beltar will never agree to spending money on a louder "noise" .... Explaining her that it's not a "noise" but a "beautiful song" will be impossible i suppose

how bout you just put it on and if she asks why the car is louder say that the engine is more run in? or just leave it off sport mode when she's around and she won't even know!

Nicely done Carlos Just another one of the users that makes this such a great forum for all us newbies

Hope it helps you guys get an idea

med, yes its "noticeably" louder also. Not obnoxiouly loud, just that you can tell its louder. And due to the sportier sound the effect is increased. If you look at the part:"Outside, accel. from a stand-still" listen closely at the incredible sound it makes as it clears the cut-off and I shift into 3rd gear (min 1, sec 35).

MikeS, Seven has no news yet as to how the techs at the dealership got the cut-off removed while keeping the switch working, but I'm hoping the techs themselves knew how they did that

beltar, I said just that before, once you hear the sport exhaust the stock sound sounds completely different now since you have a new reference to judge by. So be warned! but MikeS had a great idea, thats how we men usually get by these car related "obstacles"

Thanks pic911s and turbolite

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hope it helps you guys get an idea

med, yes its "noticeably" louder also. Not obnoxiouly loud, just that you can tell its louder. And due to the sportier sound the effect is increased. If you look at the part:"Outside, accel. from a stand-still" listen closely at the incredible sound it makes as it clears the cut-off and I shift into 3rd gear (min 1, sec 35).

MikeS, Seven has no news yet as to how the techs at the dealership got the cut-off removed while keeping the switch working, but I'm hoping the techs themselves knew how they did that

beltar, I said just that before, once you hear the sport exhaust the stock sound sounds completely different now since you have a new reference to judge by. So be warned! but MikeS had a great idea, thats how we men usually get by these car related "obstacles"

Thanks pic911s and turbolite

OK, that's it, I'm phoning my dealer tomorrow, its retro time....

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Thx for the tip, but i think i'd rather wanted to stay married for a while longer Since my wife is blond but not stupid, she'd notice it immediately... tju toch (that's flemish for: damn )

oh well, was worth a try....

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    oh well, was worth a try....

Maybe change wives?? See you live in south africa... she's dreaming of visiting that country for a long time...

LOL!!!! hey at least she will have a basalt black 997s cab to climb into when she gets here too! just kidding, i'm not married yet! give me a ring if you ever decide to stop by!

Wicked Carlos wicked ,,

The birds in the background added to it too , they sure were egging you on..

throt

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    give me a ring if you ever decide to stop by!

I'll sure do, but it won't be in the first year...
    We can't close our business long enough to make long trips...
    +/- 3 times a year , but never more then one week...
    Whenever someone's visiting europe (esp; belgium ofcourse) let us know...
    We'll be happy to meet you

Great record Carlos.

It gives you a good impression about the difference. But be assured. The difference in reality is much much bigger than on the video. The PSE is much louder in comparison than you think. I have to say that I have a Cab. Of course you hear it much better. But the difference is huge with the top closed as well.

By the way I don't have any news about the cut-off. Of course I will keep you up-to-date on anything I hear.

suuure seven, go make us w/o PSE people sob more thanks for the input!

Nice work Carlos I like the ending..."Carlos from Spain...(PSE on!)"

"Your the man " Carlos
    Do you guys think the 997GT3 exhaust will sound louder than the standard 997 exhaust

/reaches for towel

Was it as good for you as it was for me?

Beautiful sounds! Makes me want to change my order to an "S" instead

thanks carlos, pse is a "must" ..

Cheers

Hmmph! Thanks Carlos! And here I had myself convinced PSE was purely a vanity option not worth the extra cabbage.

Color me vain.

What I'd like to hear are some examples of USA 997S' with and without the PSE option under the Carlos testing regimen. I recall some speculation that the USA exhaust note was already more aggressive due to looser noise pollution standards.

Anyone?

SWEET!!!

I still want to find out if the mufflers are normaly on like the 996 PSE mufflers

Carlos -- Zuffenhausen should give you a sales commission, as you've undoubtedly increased the number of PSE orders by 100%! Fantastic job, and many thanks...

Carlos, I knew when you said you'd make an mpeg we'd get the real deal. I've listened to this about 50 tiems already.

Thanks for making my wife hate me!

mcdelaug

simply wOw MR CARLOS... thanks a bunch my dealer said a few more days and mine should be here...

Quote:
    beltar said:
    OH king carlos of spain....This was something you'd better NOT done...
    Such an enhancing comparison
    I thaught my car had a beautiful sound, but now i'm going to have nightmares hearing your files over and over again...
    Lady beltar will never agree to spending money on a louder "noise" .... Explaining her that it's not a "noise" but a "beautiful song" will be impossible i suppose

lol... I never thought of telling my wife i bet she wont notice unless she's told

Carlos!
    Awesome man! Thank you so much!
    My thoughts: Of course, I am yet to hear it for real but it does sound similar to the 996 PSE which is a good thing!
    The cut off is actually much less intrusive than I thought, reminds me of the 360 Modena (is also has a cut off but that is rev dependant, once you pass 2700 rpm, the change in noise is orgasmic!), seems like it's the same for the 997 PSE.
    Will definitely keep the cut off to start with and see how I feel about it.
    Other users,
    Would you say that PSE off is same as standard exhaust?
    From a tech point of view and from the pics RC has posted of the PSE itself, it would make sense.
    Carlos, thanks again! Very helpful!

Thanks Carlos! Now I just have to get over my fear that my dealer might mess up an install of the PSE...The TSB looks pretty complicated...I just wish it was available when I ordered my C2S...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777847 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441947 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261119 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85385 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5652 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880800 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816311 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM