Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Picked up my 997S

I ordered this car (with a $4000 discount) in January and spent the next 4 months test driving virtually every new sport(y) car made. In the end I decided to pick up the 997S when it arrived last week. Ended up with a $4825 discount since they didn't charge me for the metallic paint.

Great car. The drive home from the dealership was a real treat. I put it in the garage and it rained the next two days (can't take a new car out in the rain), so Sunday was my first chance to got out and do a real drive.

That's when the problems started. After reading all these MP3 post I was anxious to try that out, so I tried to put the CD in the in-dash player. It wouldn't go. So I gave it a little extra push and it finally did pop in. But wouldn't play, wouldn't eject, and the player didn't seem to know it was in there.

That happens. Accessories sometimes don't work.

Then I put the car in reverse....or didn't. The car wouldn't go into reverse. It had earlier in the day, when I backed out of my garage. But no luck. To show how desperate I was I even read the manual. No joy.

That shouldn't happen.

I dropped the car off this AM. I was told I'd get a loaner car and "not an Enterprise". But lo and behold I'm now driving a Nissan Sentra Enterprise Rental Car, and not a happy customer.

When I get the car back I'll post some photos. Basalt Black Metallic, black interior, Bose, Nav, Adaptive Sport Seats (really nice seats!), etc.

Re: Picked up my 997S

sorry to read that !
    Is it a tip or a manual ?

It's a manual.

Just as well you got a big discount my friend,with all those problems you deserve a discount

I had the airbag bug, but it's all good now...

It sucks to have a new toy with issues, but Porsche will fix it and then you can get out and have a BLAST with the car. TRY not to let it get you down in the mean time.... Even with the FEW issues I've had with a 996 and my 997 I am still VERY happy with the car and glad I got them both.... When they are all working they are GREAT cars... soon you'll be out enjoying the car and this will be a distant memory....

One last thing. This wasn't a demo or used car. When I picked up the car it had -1 miles on it. They ship from the factory that way so it will about 0 miles by the time the buyer gets in the front seat. The salesperson and I drove around until it was 4 miles so the odomoeter statement would be legal. The drive to and from the dealership added another 116, so the car only has 153 miles on it right now.

I'm very pleased with the discounts and with the car. I'm whining because I want to be driving it right now!

It had negative one mile on it? I smell a troll. NO Porsches come with negative miles.

Quote:
    anotheruser said:(can't take a new car out in the rain)

Sorry, you've lost me. Why can't you drive a new car in the rain? Do they shrink or something?

Sorry to hear about your problems though. I'm sure they'll get resolved. Maybe your car was sulking with you 'cause you didn't drive it for two days.

Texas 911, not true. It's a fact. Ask your dealer if you doubt me.

Dealer is supposed to test the car before delivery. Hard to imagine a CD wouldn't work. Loaner etc: call Porsche and complain about this dealer.

The no-reverse problem is common. I had the same thing happen, my car sailed through the dealer check-list, and reverse worked fine, off the truck, in and out of the service bay, in and out of the wash area, and up to the front of the lot for me to drive away. I got in, drove 3 miles back to work, and couldn't get into reverse. WTF??? As it turns out, it's just a cable adjustment, that's all. It's an easy fix, it just seems that the factory is having a HUGE problem getting it right. Or, my other theory, is that the cable gets stretched-out of adjustment if the car is transported (either on the train, or the boat, or the final truck transport to the dealer) with the transmission engaged in reverse gear. Bouncing around, and tugging to and fro, could be a cause of the shift cable getting tweaked out of it's tolerance. In any case, don't worry, they can fix it in an hour with no parts.

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=102955&an=0&page=3#102955

Check this , it happened before..

throt

Quote:

One last thing. This wasn't a demo or used car. When I picked up the car it had -1 miles on it. They ship from the factory that way so it will about 0 miles by the time the buyer gets in the front seat. The salesperson and I drove around until it was 4 miles so the odomoeter statement would be legal. The drive to and from the dealership added another 116, so the car only has 153 miles on it right now.

porsche does test drive every car (in stuttgart traffic!) before it gets shipped in order to spot flaws. so every "brand new" porsche comes with around 20 miles on it. "-1" on the odometer is impossible IMHO.

but anyway, congrats to your car! enjoy it!

Sorry to hear your problems, the - mileage really doesn't make sense; I bet if we were to start a delivery mileage poll, you'd be on your own. You need to ask your dealer some questions.

yikes, i hope they sort things out quickly anotheruser!

lol @ the -1 miles, i wish you had taken a picture!

zzboba: I wish I had taken a photo of the -1 as well. I didn't think it was big deal at the time. The legal odometer statement is 4 miles, I can take a picture of that if it will help you believe me.

Got some good news. The reverse problem is a cable that came loose and is fixed already. Was relieved to hear that, since I had fears of it needing a new transmission. The CD is a bigger problem, and has be overnighted (they didn't say from where). I should get the car back tomorrow night, though.

Can't wait. It is sunny and hot and I'm ready to roll!

69bossnine: Yup. Apparently the same problem as yours. The dealer backed it into the spot I pulled it out of at delivery. I backed out of my driveway once. And that was the last time it went into reverse.

Thank goodness it's already fixed.

Hope to see you soon on the pics;
    On the other hand mine didn't come without probs neither :
    -Clock is losing 2 minutes a week
    -Their were little spots onto the paint (from the uppercables on the train )
    -The windows and hood are sometimes open without pressing the key...
    -I get a failure indication on the central display from time to time..

Except for the paint, nothing has been resolved yet...

But it drives like hell

I know how you feel. They seem like minor things, and for the most part they are, but they are disappointing. I was in a mood most of yesterday after it happened. I kept having thoughts like "I have to have the car pushed out of the garage tomorrow so who am I going to get to do that", and so on.

It does drive great, so I'm sure once it is on the road again I'll forget all about these teething troubles.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

porsche does test drive every car (in stuttgart traffic!) before it gets shipped in order to spot flaws. so every "brand new" porsche comes with around 20 miles on it. "-1" on the odometer is impossible IMHO.

but anyway, congrats to your car! enjoy it!

Actually they do not test drive every car. While at a factory visit in Stuttgart last month, we were told that some small percentage of cars are test driven in the Stuttgart public road area (not on a test track). That's why some cars arrive with something less than 10 miles on them and others may have up to 30 - 40 miles on them.

Did you see any with less than 0 miles on the odometer while you were at the factory?

Regardless, shipping a car with negative miles is illegal at best. They are misrepresenting the car, how do you know it didn't have negative 10,000 miles before you got it?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    It had negative one mile on it? I smell a troll. NO Porsches come with negative miles.

Indeed, that's suspicious. I assume that mileage counting is done in an unsigned long variable that can't become negative. In some rare cases there might be a difference between the internal mileage counting and the display to indicate errors, though. '-1' might be an indication of such an error case. I would question a service person about that. A factory new instrument cluster reads out zero miles. If the car leaves the factory after a possible test drive it has positive miles one it. The dealer is able to reset the test drive miles or the miles resulting from transport to zero (if they don't exceed a certain limit) but not to less than zero.

I had the same thought that it might be an error code and not the actual mileage. But it went away during the test drive, and starting reading positive numbers up to the 4 delivery miles that are on the odometer statement. It now shows 153, which seems right given the trips I've made.

My salesperson told me that Porsches and BMWs reach these shores (US) with less than zero miles on them now so by the time it is driven from the port, checked out, and ready for delivery it is as close to 0 as possible. She also said that they can't deliver a car with less than zero miles.

Quote:
    My salesperson told me that Porsches and BMWs reach these shores (US) with less than zero miles on them now so by the time it is driven from the port, checked out, and ready for delivery it is as close to 0 as possible. She also said that they can't deliver a car with less than zero miles.

The old saying, when do you know a salesman is lying? When their mouths are moving. What a total bunch of BS. That's misrepresenting the product, if it were true, we could all sue Porsche.

there seems to be some suspicious theories here....

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    My salesperson told me that Porsches and BMWs reach these shores (US) with less than zero miles on them now so by the time it is driven from the port, checked out, and ready for delivery it is as close to 0 as possible.

That makes no sense. Better ask a service person about that. Every instrument cluster with a digital odometer that I know has the possibility to reset a small number of miles to zero (if mileage has not passed a limit). Usually, this is done by just pressing a few buttons in the right way. So, if they have such an easy method to reset the odometer, why would they play around with negative miles and unpredictable miles of test drive and transport?
    If you still have just 153mls it might still be possible in your car to do that reset. While you are asking your service person about the '-1' you could also ask for the trick to do the initial odometer reset

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779504 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442299 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263142 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85661 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5826 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881127 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817736 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM