Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Picked up my 997 S Cabriolet......

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    We won enough money to cover our room, dinner, parking (Had to give the guy a healthy trip so he would let me keep the car at the Hotels Front entrance)etc.

What did you play? Blackjack?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Two best options imo are the PSE and the thicker steering wheel.

Better than sport chrono?

Blackjack.
    PSE and Thicker wheel probably in a three way tie. The PSE is really worth it though. The gurggling and burburling from the PSE along the highway median and in tunnels is fantastic. Big difference vs. standard exhaust. The "thicker wheel" Think it is XPA on my 997 is not as thick as on my CS. I wouldn't want it any thinner. Plus the leather is nicer.

Quote:
    Seven said:
    Congratulations! Great Car.

Which one do you like more?? The Porsche or the Ferrari?

Tell us something about the differences in driving, feeling, and so on.

I like the Porsche more. It's just more fun. But I think that has a lot to do with the convertible roof. I forgot how nice it felt to spend a few hours along twisting back country roads with the sun on your face. Styling wise nothing comes close imo to Ferrari but for practicle everyday use the Porsche is more fun to drive. It feels a lot smaller then my CS. Steering is more precise with the CS but the 997 is so easy to drive. One of the biggest pains about the Ferrari is vision when pulling out from gas stations etc. (You pay the price for that roofline) In the Porsche your vision is 360 degrees.(especially w/ the top down) Even in my TT coupe vision to the rear quarters was very good. Another very big advantage is clearance. In my CS I always have to pay attention to the degree of incline pulling into a driveway etc. In the 997 there's loads more room. For sound the PSE and the 997 is aggresive but noting beats the sound in the CS imo.

beautifull cars... congrats 2u
    ferrari meets porsche,
    supergaaf

Sradale your car looks fab congrats on you new addition. Nice stable of vehicles. Weather has been so nice up here i think I'm regretting that coupe decision. Oh well maybe something else to look froward to for next vehicle.

Thanks for the pictures they've done a superb job.
    Enjoy and don't forget to run in

Quote:
    STRADALE said: But I have to say my favorite part about the last 2 days had to be THE DRIVE !!! I don't think I will ever be without a convertible again. What a car. a notch up in quality from my 996 Turbo that's for sure. Two best options imo are the PSE and the thicker steering wheel.

Now that is great to read! its not about the destination... its about the journey!
    You have two great cars under your garage

For those wanting to hear the PSE comparison file, it will be up soon, maybe tomorrow

Congrats Stradale, beautiful car
    I did the same as you right when I got my C4S....silver crest and 3M clearguard. In person you can barely see the lines of the 3M.

Great car Stradale,
    Congratulations!
    I am glad you're enjoying it 100%!!!
    Perfect combo with the Stradale for track days!
    How do you find that cut off thing with PSE? Not too intrusive?
    Thanks.

Congrats Stradale thanks for the fantastic pics of your cars

Very nice car!!!..PSE looks awesome in the 997

Your pic of the 997 factory covers remind me of our 1rst one, we said exactly the same to the dealer, leave the covers on!!

Congrats Stradale!

Thanks for the beautiful pics of your gorgeous baby!

I'm planning to order pretty much the same color/options, except for a grey top and int. instead ( it gets very hot here in Central Ca).

Does anyone know if there is a difference in total dia. between the thicker wheel and reg sports wheel(is it wider)?

All the best,
    Richard

CONGRATS Stradale!! beautiful car! first thing i noticed was the PSE, i'm so jealous!! does your PSE switch on and off according to the sport mode?

fantastic Stradale!!

gorgeous car, and i definitely subscribe to your thought process as well with respect to options, driving style...

continue to enjoy~~

Very Nice PICS Stradale... don't you just love that feeling of relief that its here and time to drive.....

Congrats once again

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said: But I have to say my favorite part about the last 2 days had to be THE DRIVE !!! I don't think I will ever be without a convertible again. What a car. a notch up in quality from my 996 Turbo that's for sure. Two best options imo are the PSE and the thicker steering wheel.

Now that is great to read! its not about the destination... its about the journey!
    You have two great cars under your garage

For those wanting to hear the PSE comparison file, it will be up soon, maybe tomorrow

Carlos,
    For my wife and I, the trip truely was about the journey. I knew I wanted a route for the trip that would keep us away from 18 wheelers and traffic. I found the PERFECT route out of NY up the "Merritt Parkway" (Route15). If you live around the tri-state area and want a beautiful parkway to drive on this is it. : http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2452/overview.html

We then took 15 North to route 66 to route 16 -> route 6 -> route 2 -> 395. 16 is a great two lane country road. We didn't hit an ounce of traffic and the sun was shining all day Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday I took it easy because of the brand new tires but I Sunday drove more agressively. The cab's body is really stiff. Braking feel is exactly like my 996TT which is incredible. In "Sport" the difference in suspension is very noticeable. I really like the stiffer sport setting. Plus that's when the PSE kicks in so the whole car feels meaner.

SoCal Alan - I'm at the office now and don't have a camera for a pic of the steering wheel. I'll get one taken as soon as I can.

FARGO - Thank you !

pic911s - Thanks. I would definately recommend the convertible for next time. It brings a whole nother experience. Driving into work this morning was fantastic. Even when I had to slow for about 15 minutes worth of traffic I couldn't care less. The sun was shining on my face so I just tilted my head back and relaxed. I think the biggest surprise for me with the cab has to be how unbeliveably calm it is in the cockpit. Without a doubt it is a lot less noisy and windy then the coupes I have owned with the drivers window HALF opened. I have the wind-stop in place but even without it the car is so quiet inside at highway speeds with the top down. I expected turbulence and expected the need to raise my voice to speak with my passenger but you really don't need to shout at all. In a coupe if you put a window down the level of the noise at highway speeds is really annoying to me. In this cab with all windows down the cabin is surprising quiet.

med - Thanks.

JP66 - I was really pleased the dealer did what I wanted with not drilling license plate holes or cleaning the car.

Fanch - Re the PSE cut-off. It's weird I thought I had the cut-off mph thing figured out but I don't. Yesterday when I was monitoring the sound/mph it appeared to cut off between 41-49mph. But this morning on the way to work it cut-off around 35mph. I haven't had time to review RC's solution and apply it to my car but I feel I'm going to give it a try. To answer your question - It's "Not too intrusive" for my tastes yet but that's probably because the car is brand new. I'm just excited with everything. After a while it will probably become annoying.

robbo - Thank you.

Alex18_996CC - Thanks. Yeah, my first Porsche -996TT had some hard water spots on the rear wing and front bumper that I was never able to get out. The car was black and the person that washed it at the dealer probably let the water from washing bake in the sun (I picked the car up in very Hot August). The paint being fresh didn't stand a chance. I wasn't going to let that happen again.
    COOL PIC

SVNSVN - I really don't think a grey or black top will have that much difference in cabin temp. Grey is nice but if you like the black top better imho I would go for the black. Regarding the Thicker steering wheel. Because Porsche uses the same size inside frame (airbag/horn) for the Thicker wheel as the standard the total outside diameter is probably an 1/16th to 1/8 of an inch bigger. There would be no way to tell this with the naked eye. The actual rim of the Thicker wheel is wider. You also get the "smooth leather" option when ordering the thicker wheel. You also get a leather covered airbag. (I'm not sure if the standard wheel's airbag is covered in leather-can someone confirm ?) Good luck with ordering your car. You'll love the Artic Silver.

Mike S - Thanks man. Yes, the PSE only turns on when I switch to "Sport". I'm actually really glad there is a way to turn it off and have it run quiet. The PSE sound is great but for very long journeys I wouldn't want it on all day. A very good feature vs. an aftermarket non-Porsche exhaust.

igzaklee - Cool. Thanks.

tooner - Exactly. It is such a relief that I finally have the car. Your car is gorgous. When I was waiting on mine I was drooling over your pics by the S.F bridge.

Thanks for the nice comments guys...

very nice Car!!!! Congrads!!!! I LOVE Arctic Silver!!!

Have 1000 nice rides in it!

CONGRATS Stradale, really Beautiful Car !!
    It was worth the waiting, wasn't it !!??
    Did you get your valve caps coloured ??
    ENJOY !!

Hot looking machine. Maybe we'll pass each other when I visit friends in Oceanside. The very Best

Awesome piece of machinery Stradale, congrats man!

Stradale,

Thank you very much for the info regarding the steering wheel, and the top color!

Enjoy!!!

All the best,
    Richard

Stradale,

Just got back from a weekend out of town and saw your post. Congrats on finally getting your car. You know I like it since our cars are almost twins. I enjoy every minute I spend in my cab. I haven't driven it since Thursday and am in need of a Porsche fix. Enjoy!

Phil

Nicholas,

Better not bring your 997 to the 'side. haha. I grew up there by the park and dread the time when i need to return.

Stradale,

Congrads dude!!!!!! Finally!!! worth the wait huh?!?!?!? Car looks great and Matt did a great job. I should have done the same as you and had him detail mine. Had a few swirl marks from the dealer, but with a few waxings most of it is gone.

Pretty crazy that we can compare this car to a TT (and it better!!!). It actually makes the commute to work something to look foward to

Ill be looking out for you on the Hutch. Best of luck and Enjoy!!!! Drive Safely.

2k5c2scab,

Thanks man. Yes, really worth the wait. They did a great job on the car. You really can compare it to the 996TT and a lot of the aspects of the 997 S I like better. Shifting being one. Even brand new the shifting is so much smoother than on my 996TT. The clutch also feels smoother. One thing for sure is engaging first gear and taking off from a dead stop on a very steep hill is easy with the 997. I used to cringe every time I had to do that with my 996TT. It's also really great to have the different suspension settings. Driving in this morning I was switching back and forth between Sport. I took a co-worker in with me today and he said the same thing from the passenger side - 'you can really feel the difference'. He also loved the lumbar and the inflatable airbags in the seat bolsters. One of the things I did on the way home from my trip this past weekend was turning off the air conditioner compressor by way of the "ECO" button. I gauged the gas mileage and it appeared to make a small difference. I didn't have that in the 996. Overall fit and finish is the biggest cosmetic difference I think between the 996 and 997. A big improvement. The handling of the 997 is also improved. The car feels easier to turn-in and when you're accelerating coming out of a turn it feels more planted then my 996TT with all-wheel drive. I can't wait to see how it feels and sounds in the higher rpm's. Incredible but I read in a magazine last night that there will be a brand new 911 - the 998 for model year 2008. That's only 2 years and 2 months away. Do we trade for the 997TT cab or wait ?

Phil - Thanks. Yeah, I'm having fun too Interesting that my dealer's service manager said "just drive it" when I asked him about break-in procedure. Since I plan on racking up a couple of thousand miles within 2-3 weeks I'm not rushing it and so far have kept the car under 4200rpm. I will probably increase that after 1000miles. I have to remember to check the oil level today. I asked and the service manager gave me 2 free quarts of oil. My 996TT needed 1 quart after 500 miles and another after 1000.

SVNSVN - You're welcome.

Rami - THANKS !

nicholas j - Thanks.

Dilinger - Thanks. I love the Artic too. If/when I get the 997TT cab I think I'll stay with the same color combo.

Freak 2 - Definately worth the wait. YES, I colored the valve caps and it came out awesome. I showed them to my detailer and he was cracking up laughing saying "You're NUTS, you're NUTS". Appreciate the tip. I have a picture of them on my car but my CD-Drive here at my office is being repaired. I'll show you how they came out asap. THANKS AGAIN !

FREAK 2 - A friend at work was nice enough to let me use his drive. Here's a shot of the painted valve caps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    2k5c2scab,

Thanks man. Yes, really worth the wait. They did a great job on the car. You really can compare it to the 996TT and a lot of the aspects of the 997 S I like better. Shifting being one. Even brand new the shifting is so much smoother than on my 996TT. The clutch also feels smoother. One thing for sure is engaging first gear and taking off from a dead stop on a very steep hill is easy with the 997. I used to cringe every time I had to do that with my 996TT. It's also really great to have the different suspension settings. Driving in this morning I was switching back and forth between Sport. I took a co-worker in with me today and he said the same thing from the passenger side - 'you can really feel the difference'. He also loved the lumbar and the inflatable airbags in the seat bolsters. One of the things I did on the way home from my trip this past weekend was turning off the air conditioner compressor by way of the "ECO" button. I gauged the gas mileage and it appeared to make a small difference. I didn't have that in the 996. Overall fit and finish is the biggest cosmetic difference I think between the 996 and 997. A big improvement. The handling of the 997 is also improved. The car feels easier to turn-in and when you're accelerating coming out of a turn it feels more planted then my 996TT with all-wheel drive. I can't wait to see how it feels and sounds in the higher rpm's. Incredible but I read in a magazine last night that there will be a brand new 911 - the 998 for model year 2008. That's only 2 years and 2 months away. Do we trade for the 997TT cab or wait ?

Maybe 2y2m for the 998.... but then another 6+ months for the cab, etc.... for the 998tt Will be real tough to pass up when I get that phone call next spring that my turbo is in

And yes..... if you think you're having fun now, wait until you see 6000 rpm!!!

btw.... did you go with the sport shifter?

Beautiful cab. Enjoy it. I really think Artic looks better contrasting with the soft top of a cab...

Quote:
    2k5c2scab said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    2k5c2scab,

Maybe 2y2m for the 998.... but then another 6+ months for the cab, etc.... for the 998tt Will be real tough to pass up when I get that phone call next spring that my turbo is in

And yes..... if you think you're having fun now, wait until you see 6000 rpm!!!

btw.... did you go with the sport shifter?

That's EXACTLY my thinking too. The 998 TURBO will add time to that estimate. And when the 997TT cab is out it would be very tough to pass up............ Before I picked up my cab I was debating whether to wait for the 997TT cab or tell the dealer to put my deposit for the 997TT coupe instead. Now that I have my car I have NO doubts. I'm a convertible guy now 100%. Sold, sealed and delivered! You know what I've been missing!.......You think the 997TT cab will be out by the spring ? Man, that would be sweet.

Regarding the shifter - I had the TechArt one installed. The one from this pic.

its really strange to introduce 998 in such a quick time i think this info is trash.....

They made so many variations of the 997 that thigs show they ll keep the production going...

And if 998 appears what will Porsche do with the "power increases" that used to "add" in the past at the facelifting period 2 years after launch??

Will they throw us the 25 HP power increase in the 998 series??

irrational to my ears, moreover they need at least 2 years to identify all the problems that will arise from the 997...

According to this source by that time they will be launching the 998... It think its way too wrong info

Hi Stradale,
    Help me out please.. i ordered my car (997 S coupe) in March... and the dealer told me then and also last month as I was finalizing my order, that the PSE was not available in the USA... looks like you are in the USA... was I lied to? I am really upset... car is on the boat from germany right now and I don't know what to do... plus I paid full price (no discount in LA) :-(

Quote:
    adam s said:
    Hi Stradale,
    Help me out please.. i ordered my car (997 S coupe) in March... and the dealer told me then and also last month as I was finalizing my order, that the PSE was not available in the USA... looks like you are in the USA... was I lied to? I am really upset... car is on the boat from germany right now and I don't know what to do... plus I paid full price (no discount in LA) :-(

WOW, a March order ONVESL already? My Feb2/05 order is still waiting for a boat ride....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5506 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM