Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PASM in Canada

i was playing around with the build your porsche in the offical website..

it shows that PASM lowered the ride height by 10mm? not 20??

something do with the safety system??

and also.. do you think power seats are useful at all?
    i have to choose either one of them costing at the same price

Re: PASM in Canada

The ride height of a PASM equiped car is permanently 10mm lower than a standard car. I don't think it's anything to do with safety. PASM is a good choice if you have rougher roads than normal, or have a mixed use for your car (commuting and track), or if you find that the ride with 19" wheels a little hard. Some people prefer it, others don't.

Power seats are useful if you have more than one regular driver (the seat adjusts on unlocking with a different key), or if you need lumbar support. Whatever's comfortable really. I found the sports seats too uncomfortable for long distances as they pushed my shoulders forward too much.

As for a choice between... I have both PASM and power seats. (But not the adaptive sports seats - a little overkill in my opinion).

so basically PASM gives you a more comfortable ride?

PASM is the best of both worlds. A comfortable ride with no roll in corners, or front end dive even under hard braking. Then without touching any setting, drive fast through corners and it automatically stiffens up. Or, press "sport" for a hard suspension setting all the time. Porsche freely admit the latter setting is really for track work.
    PASM is especially worth having with the 19" wheel option.
    I specified PASM on my car and 3,000 miles later I am convinced it was worth every cent.

I am not affluent enough for PASM AND electrically operated memory seats so I settled for the basic sports seats.

In my own mind, in a sports car anything that improves the driving experience has to be the priority so for me, no contest, PASM it is.

Hey, if I was that affluant, I would have bought the car when I graduated. And I'm too tight for PCM or 19" wheels.

You need a nice long test drive or drives to compare cars with and without PASM.

is it retrofitable?

I don't think that PASM is retrofitable, but even if it was the cost would be prohibitive. I would advise to get everything you want with the car, rather than retrofit stuff, as Porsche often charge way too much to do it that way round, and in some instances (ie the Bi-Xenon lights) the retro-fit items do not include all the functionality of the factory fit items.

Don't even think about it, if you are referring to PASM. Anything is possible but the cost would be horrendous. If you want it, spec it.

Have you test driven any 987 Malmsteen? What did you think?

i havent test driven one with PASM yet

but i actually felt pretty good driving a 987 without it..

hmm perhaps i may change my mind when i drive a PASM one..

just wondering if it is going to be a big different with PASM or just something very small..

i am not a very sportier driver,, just driving the car for pleasure in the city

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    i am not a very sportier driver,, just driving the car for pleasure in the city

You sure a Boxster is the right car for you? May be an SLK?

umm..
    i am not sure actually

but i dont want to get the feeling of lacking of something haha you know what i mean...plus i really like the S design with the extra air inlet in the front.

i dont really like the new slk design...looks too much of a woman car to me...

by the way some off topic small questions

is the 6 cds changer retrofitable? and the chrome sports tailpipe

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    by the way some off topic small questions

is the 6 cds changer retrofitable? and the chrome sports tailpipe

Yes and yes. Wiring for 6CD changer is already there. Tailpipe is a simple clamp job. Off with the old, on with the new.

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:but i dont want to get the feeling of lacking of something haha you know what i mean...plus i really like the S design with the extra air inlet in the front.

i dont really like the new slk design...looks too much of a woman car to me...

I think the OLD SLK was more girly. They've butched up the new one a bit. But it sounds like your priorities are more on the looks of the car rather than how it drives, so I see where Dreamcar is coming from. If you're looking at an Auto-box 'look at me' car for cruising town, get an SLK and put a body kit on it. Or a C6.

Do what you like to an SLK but DON'T put an aerokit on a Boxster. Height of bad taste. Or is it depth of bad taste.

oh haha..

hmm i think my choice will still be the boxster s...

Quote:
    dreamcar said: ..Height of bad taste.

Yes, I could not recommend licking your Boxster, no matter how tempting it may seem!

and also in my location

i can almost see 2 to 3 slks on the street everyday the new one..

but since 05 boxster came out.. i havent seen one yet..

i have seen many 997s though

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    and also in my location

i can almost see 2 to 3 slks on the street everyday the new one..

but since 05 boxster came out.. i havent seen one yet..

i have seen many 997s though

Yes, but sods law states that as soon as you buy your car, there will suddenly be loads of them around.
    How about an AMV8? (Probably won't see too many of them!) Or are you on a budget?

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

yea i am on a budgest around 60$ US
    so the boxster s would fit in..or should i wait for the cayman?hmm cant wait anymore..

i have seen the v8 twice with the same colour.. maybe the same car?? hmm

You seem to have a problem. You want a sports car but you are not that sporty. You don't know if you want an open top or a coupe. Suggestion : drive a Boxster on fast sweeping roads and if you don't get out of the car back at your dealers with a huge smile on your face which cannot be removed how ever hard you try then you have failed the test. Don't buy one. You need a posemobile like an SLK with it's wonderful trick roof.

it was about the PASM at first... didnt know why it became a car issue...

anyways, the 987s will be my choice : )

If you want PASM you will HAVE to buy a Porsche.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a 987S. Apologies for the distraction. Try a PASM car. If you can stretch to it, it certainly is a more comfortable ride.

actually i am still deciding if i should just get a full load 987 ( like special metallic..special leather colour..19"s..pcm..pasm..sport chrono...etc)

any advice?...

A special coloured 987, not a 987S?
    Are you talking ludicrously expensive 'paint to sample' or just one of the more expensive special colours?

In my opinion it doesn't make financial sense to load up a base car to the hilt. You'd lose a bundle on re-sale.

It really sounds like you want a 'look at me!' car. Surely it's cheaper just to dye your hair pink!?

Seriously, I think a lot of people here buy Porsches because of the drive, rather than the look. We're having trouble getting on your wavelength!. Most people would prefer a budget 'S' over a fancy-looking plain 987. But that's obviously not where you're coming from.

Have you considered a 350Z? Much cheaper, and you could make that look as fancy as you liked for much less money. Nismo it up some.

If you really want a Boxster, maybe a used 'S' would be a better start, then body-kit it to your hearts content. There's probably a lot more after-market kit around for the 986, and it would make more financial sense. Probably.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    If you really want a Boxster, maybe a used 'S' would be a better start, then body-kit it to your hearts content.

haha.. hmm well just thinking about that..

but after what you said i will go for the S for sure...

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    haha.. hmm well i was just thinking about that..

but after what you said i will go for the S for sure...

by the way.. so in canada.. the pasm will lower the ride height for 10mm?? and not 20mm??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777786 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441917 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261104 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85365 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880780 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816275 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM