Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Or Used

Gents Please help...

As some of you know, i was going to get a demo model carrera S... After thinking about what you guys had to say and some advice from friends i'm kinda leaning towards going for a new car..
    The reasons i wanted the demo in the first place is mainly because i wont have to wait so long for the car to be made first... the demo i had a look at had all the basic extras that i wanted..another thing is that (depending on car) i wont have to run in the engine, so its basically just get in and drive like i want to...
    Now i understand that this would not be such a good choice because they use these cars for test drives, so the car gets thrashed.

Now, pros and cons of a new car: Its New!
    I can spec it to make it exactly like i want my car.
    Its "my" car..(i dont knnow if this matters to others but the fact that the car is made to my specifications etc and i will be the first to really drive it is appealing.)
    The interior smells like a brand new car, ha ha
    I know that the engine is in good condition, unlike a demo which has been driven hard.
    there are many more aspects to consider but i wont go into them now..
    on the other hand the fact that i'll have to wait so long for the car will kill me...
    Please help... it will be appreciated

Re: New Or Used

a new will cost you extra money
    but,
    he will playing mp3
    0 km on the dash
    it's smells better....
    you can choose your personal options
    but delivery time, waiting so long,
    i am waiting for the moment and i don't like that

The wait and anticipation is half, if not more than half, the fun of ordering to your spec...

From what I have seen the price of demos are too close to a list price of a new one , they dont even loose the damn VAT ( Value Added Tax 17.5% ) here in the UK which is taking the p**s but if people pay they will kindly accept , they take advantage ( as usual ) at the fact that someones going to think - " oh I dont have to wait its sitting there ready to be taken "..

Me , I would rather wait on principle , and not had one thats been scuffed on the panels upon entry and thrashed..

The waits worth it IMO...

throt.

A demo could be tempting simply because they'll make sure it's screwed together properly! No dealer would want to demo a sub-standard 911 or one that has strange rattles and teething problems.

Good luck with your decision either way!

BCE,
    Touch choice indeed that we've all faced at some point I am sure.
    And that's without telling yourself that for a brand new well specced 997S, you can get a nice second hand 996 Turbo S!
    My advice is, go for the new.
    Yes, depreciation will be super steep, and you will have to wait, but the feeling of being the first owner of a car, the first one to put your ass on the driver's seat (not quite with preparation km but still) and mostly to have the car to the exact specs you want is second to none.
    I guess it also depends how you want your car specced.
    If you just want a nicely specced 997, there are plenty of them out there with all the basics such as Full leather, Bose, Nav, PASM, etc.
    But if you want something tailored then you're better off ordering it, with extras like Sport chassis, PSE, PCCB, Stitching, Alu, carbon, etc.
    Good luck!

Quote:
    moose said:
    A demo could be tempting simply because they'll make sure it's screwed together properly! No dealer would want to demo a sub-standard 911 or one that has strange rattles and teething problems.

Good luck with your decision either way!

They should make this an act with ALL purchases , period.

throt.....

Quote:
    Fanch said:

And that's without telling yourself that for a brand new well specced 997S, you can get a nice second hand 996 Turbo S!

Now why did you have to go say that!!
    just kidding, i'm not interested in a turboS. its the 997 Cs that i want..
    i know, i know, the turboS is Massively powerful but i just prefer the Cs... Besides , i think it will be safer to make a jump from a 110kw GTI to a 261kw Cs. imagine me pulling out of the showroom with a 331kw TS and driving straight into the first light pole! LOL

like a said, my ONLY choice is between a demo or new 997s-im not really interested in anything else...

Quote:
    FARGO said:

i am waiting for the moment and i don't like that

and he only has to wait 5 or 6 weeks!!!! because he could buy a car that was already commanded by the dealer...
    Just in time to choose his own specs...
    We had to wait 8months for the cab

Quote:
    tooner said:
    The wait and anticipation is half, if not more than half, the fun of ordering to your spec...

the waiting is hard , but the tougher the challenge, the more you enjoy the reward when you get it delivered...
    The first meter is tempting...
    this is me driving backward out of the showroom...
    And who passed by, just at that moment... yes , Fargo so we got a pic of it

I'm sorry, but buying a demo is worse than a used car. Insted of one or two owners beating the cr*p out of it (hopefully AFTER the break in period), dozens of people who "test drove" it beat the cr*p out of it BEFORE it was even broken in.

Wait and get over it.

Beltar was very nervous when he start the first time
    he's very beautifull cabby(997s)
    I take the pictures for him,
    but forget to send the bill

Hey MMD,

the dealers are very different here in south africa, 1st of all they take good care of the car(because the tax makes the price tag double than what the car goes for in other countries). So buying a demo here is different than buying one from the US. 2ndly the wait for a 997s in south africa is LOOOONGG, if you order RIGHT NOW, you will only get it in march next year. buy then BCE will have to pay the increase on prices in august if he orders one.. if it's 2% rise in germany it's a 5-6% rise here.. so in the end BCE will be paying at least 3-4 thousand dollars more for a stock cs next year than getting 1 now.

I bit the bullet and bought a pre-registered 987S, because I did not want to wait half the summer to get my car though one was on order. It wasn't a demo but a Porsche manager car that had just been put up for sale hours ago... well, who knows if that's better or worse. So far, I haven't regretted it. It's _that_ close to my original spec, and some of the deviations are features I have learned to like, e.g. sports chrono mode and sportseats. Getting the baby at about 2000 miles and 2 months of age, I still spent app. 1000 miles breaking it in to be on the safe side and firmly believe it runs smoother because of that. There seems to be nothing wrong with the car aside from a slightly higher cost due to additional options. It even smells just as new .

The only time I was ever able to wait 4 months for a new vehicle to be tailored according to my order was at student age, when I stepped up from a VW Jetta to an Audi Cabriolet and needed every last day of the waiting period in order to get enough cash to pay for it.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Hey MMD,

the dealers are very different here in south africa, 1st of all they take good care of the car(because the tax makes the price tag double than what the car goes for in other countries). So buying a demo here is different than buying one from the US. 2ndly the wait for a 997s in south africa is LOOOONGG, if you order RIGHT NOW, you will only get it in march next year. buy then BCE will have to pay the increase on prices in august if he orders one.. if it's 2% rise in germany it's a 5-6% rise here.. so in the end BCE will be paying at least 3-4 thousand dollars more for a stock cs next year than getting 1 now.

yeah, I guess you're right, there're different circumstances. My opinion/advice has the characteristic value of us$.02.

Good luck to you whatever you do!

Where I'm coming from: My USA sales guy took me for a "test" drive and slammed the 997 into second gear at about 90 mph and then brutalized the car repeatedly magnificently at over 100mph.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Hey MMD,

I new a guy that purchased a car from South Africa and I could not believe the total price he payed it was so cheap even with the import charges..

Here in the UK we get well shafted , your a lucky guy Mike..

throt.

because he doesn't get the tax added onto the car if he's taking it out of the country so he basically paid MSRP for europe

just get a new one.

If money is no issue, order a new one and get a demo now which you then trade in when the new one arrives.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442198 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263078 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261357 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5786 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881057 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817353 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM