Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Should I cancel Boxster S order and order a 997 instead?

(I originally posted this in the 997 forum; apologies RC! I just wanted to pose the same question to the Boxster owners to see what you all have to say )

Ok my fellow helmets, I need your advice:

After test driving both the Boxster S and 911 Carrera Coupe I fell in love with both cars. I wanted the Carrera, but at the time decided on the Boxster S for cost reasons.

I placed my order for a '05 987S on Feb. 14, completion date estimated June 4.

Generously specced:

Slate Grey
    Blk Full leather
    19" Carrera Classic wheels
    Wheel caps
    S/S tailpipe
    Sport Shifter
    PASM
    Sport Chrono wart
    Bi-xenons
    Sport seats
    Heated seats
    Sport steering wheel
    Porsche crest on head restraints

Since then, I've been able to rationalize spending the extra cash to afford a 997 albeit lightly loaded:

'06 Carrera Coupe
    Arctic silver
    18" Carrera III wheels
    Wheel caps
    Std leather sea blue
    Bi-xenons
    Sport shifter
    Rear ctr console in exterior color
    Sport steering wheel

So my thinking is less options, but still "more" car(??).

Now another issue is my dealer is telling me something like a October arrival date for an '06 (which of course will cost a bit more).

What would you folks do? Get the Boxster S due in less than two months, or throw down the extra cash and P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E to get a Carrera Coupe?

Your feedback/opinions greatly appreciated!

Re: Should I cancel Boxster S order and order a 997 instead?

Well, at least you're aware of who will have what biases when you're reading the responses.

A decision like this would require knowing a lot about how you plan to use the car and what type of driving gives you the most pleasure.

Tell us a little more...

How attached to the convertible top are you?

The powertrain layout and consequent handling dynamics of these cars are quite different...are you someone who wants to "master" the 911's dsitinctive handling characteristics? Many posters seem to feel that the Boxster is easier to learn but the 911 is ultimately more rewarding. But maybe you envision yourself driving more midengine cars in the future, F430 or something?

Are you one of those individuals who thinks that the only "proper Porsche" is the 911? I personally think the Boxster is a fabulous car, but some people avoid it because it is not the 911 and is thus somehow deemed inferior. I'd hate to buy the Boxster and then somehow not be happy with it for psychological reasons.

How much more waiting are you prepared to do?

Is tracking the car something you will do often?

Your post doesn't mention it but perhaps if you are planning on purchasing the car? Perhaps it would be better to lease it so you can more easily change your mind?

And last of all I'll give you my 100% biased opinion.
    If, like me, this is your first Porsche and you really are ambivalent about which car to get, I'd get the 987S and follow it up with several Porsche Driving Experiences or other track based education.

Many people don't use anywhere near even the Boxster's potential. By getting the cheaper car and using some of what you save to become a better driver you should have the best of both worlds. Fully exploiting the easier to learn car should be a lot of fun and long after your lease expires or the car depreciates you'll still have the improved driving skills.

Anyway maybe none of this applies to you, that's why it would help if you could tell us more about what you plan to do with the car. If only every decision one makes had such choices to pick from!

mcdelaug

mcdelaug,

Yes you're right, I should have included more pertinent information I planned on using this as my daily driver, putting 15K+ miles on it anually. I'm married, no kids (yet- gotta do this NOW lol!).

As for the softop, I actually prefer a hardtop. My wife however will want to fight me over this issue!

I'm a racer at heart (former shifter-karter) and a F1 nut case (see screen name), and although I've never owned a rear engine sports car, I'm excited about learning and experiencing a new driving dynamic. But on the other hand I cannot overlook how much of an advantage the mid engine layout of the Boxster can be as well. It's like having to choose between ice cream/cookies, or gold/diamonds!

Psychologically, I don't feel the Boxster is inferior to the 911, but I do feel the 911 is "more" car, simply because it has more room, and more power.

I've just about exhausted all my patience waiting (mostly due to other delays in my life re: my new house), but I guess a few more months won't kill me

If I do track the car, it would be maybe once or twice a year. Autocross, Buttonwillow. One of my goals is to lap Laguna Seca with it.

Your suggestion to lease is most intriguing; I had planned on purchasing this car in cash outright, but leasing a Boxster initially might be worth looking into.

Either way this goes, I know that buying a Porsche is the right decision. Just from the time I've spent reading this forum (and other Porsche forums) over the last few months is an indicator; the most intelligent, articulate, mature and informative posts you'll find compared to just about any others out there.

Tough choice...I had similar problem last year. Choosing between 986S and a 996. I went for the 986S because I found an awesome condition car spec'ed the way I would have and for a good price. No regrets since. It would be hard for me to leave the soft top now because I love it...even if not the reason why I bought it. Ultimately, they are both fantastic cars and I don't think you'd be disappointed by any of the two. There are few 911 poseurs. That's their problem...but many enjoy the boxster too...In its class, the boxster is vastly superior to its competitors - for pilot wannabees that is...because of its response and handling...
    Good luck with your tough choice :-) (well, they are more difficult ones in life hey !)

OK, now that you've taken your quiz, let's check your answers!

You prefer a hardtop
    You'd like to learn a new driving dynamic
    The 911 is "more" car
    You'd like to lap Laguna Seca

From what you say, I think you'd be happier with the 997.

I would still ask your delaer to let you have a prolonged test drive of both vehicles to solidify your impressions, but I think (if I may be so bold) that what you are really seeking is justification for spending more money and waiting longer to get the car you really want.
    If the lower monthly payments and lack of commitment for a 997 lease sound like a really good idea, then I agree with the other posters...you really are looking for the 997.

Do try to get a test drive of both!

And be sure to post what you ultimately decide,

mcdelaug

I had the same dilemma - a t one stage I had deposits down on both the 997S and 987S - test drove the 997S when it came out before the 987 was available - decided to go for the 987 in the end for all the opposite resoning you used for the 997 (except I rationalised that the 997 wasn't 22K more of a car) and I luuurrrvvve convertibels - although funnily enough not the 911 . Both brilliant cars though...

Mhakkinen,

Sorry to change topic. Since you are from SoCal, was there any room for you to negotiate the 987S?

And do you recommend that dealership and which dealership is it?

Thanks.

Can you make a deal where you lease/buy the 987S now, order the 997 and then trade it in for a pre-defined price once the 997 is delivered (IF you still want it at that time)? That way, you have a great car to drive soon, and enough time with it to decide whether you want to trade it in later for the 997 or keep it and cancel the 997 order eventually.

Uk car mag EVO did a back to back track comparison between the two and the Boxster was quicker round the track, although they prefered the 997 due to tis extra 'charisma'.

I would prob go for the 997 if I could afford it due to history, icon etc, etc, although, I think you will get more smiles on your average day, on an average road in the Box.

HArd choice though. How about the Cayman???? It seems to fit everything you want, plus it'll be quicker than both?

997 is more of everything, go for it if you please

Said this elsewhere: I get next to a 997 with my 03 Boxster S and I feel inadequate. (not really though, just a poetic use of the word "inadequate").

I mean the 911 is THE porsche, it has THE presence. The Boxster is more like a toy car next to it. The 911 is MORE of everything.

Yeah there's the compensatory excuse that handling is different in Boxster, but capable drivers can reach extreme performance levels in 997S that the Boxster can't touch etc etc etc. Dumb comeback anyway, "handling is better in Boxster" people don't choose between the 997 and the Boxster because of handling!

Re: 997 is more of everything, go for it if you please

hummm....if you can wait, why not wait for the Cayman to come out before you decide? You sound like the ideal customer for it.....

Ask your salesperson to comp rentals for both

Some people do choose the boxster for better handling ...
    When it's about paying the price for a new car...

I had the means to pick between the 2 and chose the boxster for my wife. Even for myself, I would not take a new 911...mainly due to its cost/performance.

For the price of an 911, I can buy a boxster (convertible) + a G35 (sedan or coupe)..... hmmm....both of these handle pretty well...

then..if I wanted to take the car to the track and if I really liked the 911, heck I'd go out and buy a used 911/ and fix it up.

Unlike a lot of people, i do not put too much stock on history/name/prestige. Things are always progressing, so I pick cars based on that car's characteristics....

back to the post's original question:

why don't you try this on you sales person..
    tell him you concerns and asks if he would comp a weekend rental of both cars for you to decide.....

My salesperson for the Boxster offered this when my wife and i were deciding between the Boxster and the slk350.
    Assuming he/she thinks you will buy one of the 2, he should be willing. if not, I'll refer you to my sales person who was great... in southern cal also.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    people don't choose between the 997 and the Boxster because of handling!

I said this above. Very sorry, I don't want to offend or sound like a sh*t.

What I mean is, Guys who buy 997 buy it for different reasons than why guys buy Boxsters.

If you make a list of these reasons the 997 reasons will seem more "ultimately" Porsche than Boxster reasons.

For Example:

Boxster: fun, easy, spirited, capable

997: Powerful, serious, goal standard in ultimate sports car.

My lists is cursory and unrefined but if you did a better job you'd see that when people think of Porsche the list of words describing the 997 will be more appropriate.

Something like that.

That's where all that "not a real Porsche" BS comes from. There's a difference in perceptions between the two cars. Why? because they're different and the 997 is closer to the way Porsche identifies itself as a company.

again, I don't want to upset anybody, etc ... .

Thanks again to all those who responded. Very informative and creative advice!

I've been away for the last three days; but was able to speak to my local dealer rep on Friday.
    I've pretty much decided to go for the 911 Carrera as specced above. He told me that I'm looking at Oct/Nov delivery (OCT/NOV!!)

In any case, the Boxster is still coming regardless, and I'll have a chance to inspect it when it arrives. But to be honest, based on mulling it over the last few days/reading the responses on the Rennteam forums, I'm going the way of the 997. Now all I need to do is put myself in cryogenic freeze until Halloween.

I'll keep you updated as things progress. As in life, things can change. Until then......

Trick or treat anyone??

ARGH OCT/NOV

Chris217,

Since the car hasn't arrived, my dealer wouldn't negotiate a final number on the Boxster S, however they did give me in writing $2,000 off of MSRP when the car comes in. Well we all know that price isn't final until you sign on the dotted line!

I'm very confident there's alot more room to move when we get down sitting at the table after the car arrives. Only thing for me is that I'm in essence re-ordering (a 997 this time), so I'm not sure what discount I might be able to get off of that car.

If you are looking for a dealer try Newport Auto Center, and ask for Apollo. I found him very straight forward and so far extremely reliable to work with.

An additional note regarding Newport Auto Center; they are a "Power" dealership (as in Power Chevrolet, etc). I happen to also own a Chevy Avalanche that I purchased and service at Power Chevy in Irvine,CA and have had nothing short of excellent service from them. So take it for what it's worth, and I hope that helps.

(usual disclaimer: I am no way affiliated or work for Power Chevrolet/Newport Auto blah,blah,blah....)

Quote:
    I said this above. Very sorry, I don't want to offend or sound like a sh*t.

What I mean is, Guys who buy 997 buy it for different reasons than why guys buy Boxsters.

If you make a list of these reasons the 997 reasons will seem more "ultimately" Porsche than Boxster reasons.

For Example:

Boxster: fun, easy, spirited, capable

997: Powerful, serious, goal standard in ultimate sports car.

My lists is cursory and unrefined but if you did a better job you'd see that when people think of Porsche the list of words describing the 997 will be more appropriate.

Something like that.

That's where all that "not a real Porsche" BS comes from. There's a difference in perceptions between the two cars. Why? because they're different and the 997 is closer to the way Porsche identifies itself as a company.

again, I don't want to upset anybody, etc ... .

That's all a matter opinion. There are plenty who own a 911 and Boxster that don't have that opinion. Including me.

I love Boxsters but if you have the money I would get the 997.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811859 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452627 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272169 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91892 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8539 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890742 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    848022 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM