Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016)

I don't get the idea for a diesel Panamera, even if it is the great Audi V8 diesel. And at 150K+ EUR...what' the point? I've driven that engine and it's the best diesel in production but it's still no match for a petrol V8 turbo. No way. Someone who truly appreciates driving can't be fooled by the torque and will always be bothered by the characteristics of the diesel engine. The whole car has been designed to be sporty and to have as much as possible from the 911 genes even at the expense of some practicality....and then to put a diesel engine to it to save some money on the gas pump...Not cool.

It's like putting a quartz mechanism in a high-end swiss watch...

Conny997:

I just configured the 4S Diesel with all the goodies one could wish for that. To my surprise it costs "only" 154,000 Euros. Compared to my BMW 740d this is just € 20,000 more. This is actually not much. Just the better engine (V8) will be worth it. Maybe I can change my BMW? indecision
    Have just experience with car switching anyway...smileyangry

Well I wouldn't do it. The G11 7 series is so awesome, nearly perfect. Best all-rounder I've ever had. I love everything about it, it feels like a 3 series, it's like flying on a magic carpet, the 1100km+ range (at least with my 730d), the seats, all the tech gizmos...

Personally I even do prefer the 7's look over the Panamera, which especially from the rear looks weirdly cheap, IMHO. But I've always had a soft spot for the classic limousine silhuette and am quite immune to "Coupé"-esque 4 door cars and SUV's.

zzboba:
    Well I wouldn't do it. The G11 7 series is so awesome, nearly perfect. Best all-rounder I've ever had. I love everything about it, it feels like a 3 series, it's like flying on a magic carpet, the 1100km+ range (at least with my 730d), the seats, all the tech gizmos...

Personally I even do prefer the 7's look over the Panamera, which especially from the rear looks weirdly cheap, IMHO. But I've always had a soft spot for the classic limousine silhuette and am quite immune to "Coupé"-esque 4 door cars and SUV's.

The new Panamera will have a stunning presence in person, I am sure about that. The G11 is nice, but nothing special both inside and out. It goes comfortable and unnoticeable. It's not the 7 series that will help BMW catch up the S-class and with the A8 getting better and better it might soon become the 3rd choice in the segment. But al least in its 730d variant it is an honest, perfectly balanced car at the right price. I wouldn't say that for a 150K EUR diesel Panamera.

Herbaliser:

The new Panamera will have a stunning presence in person, I am sure about that.

Haven't seen it yet, but I know 2 people who've seen it and they both say the Panamera does look better on pictures and slightly boring in real life. One of them even prefers the Gen 1 because "it's more special".

But well, there's no accounting for taste.

The G11 is nice, but nothing special both inside and out. It goes comfortable and unnoticeable. It's not the 7 series that will help BMW catch up the S-class and with the A8 getting better and better it might soon become the 3rd choice in the segment. But al least in its 730d variant it is an honest, perfectly balanced car at the right price. I wouldn't say that for a 150K EUR diesel Panamera.

Personally it suits me that the 7 series is kind of a stealth car without the S-Class "Gangsta" vibes. And the on-road presence is there anyway. But the interior outclasses any competitor IMHO, quality is 2 steps ahead from any other BMW,  it's looks so lovely and modern, also (and especially) in the rear, at least if you've got Touch Command and the adjustable rear seats. S-Class is too baroque and looks like a plush grandma living room, current A8 is outdated... ok, Panamera is nice, but I don't like the gearstick, the PCM screen which looks slightly aftermarket and that they've kept the analog rev meter, would have preferred full digital dash. And I hate these cupholders.

I was at a private pre-presentation of Panamera G2 and the car looks in flash much much better then on the pictures. 

The BMW 7-series looks to ordinary compared to the new Panamera. Someone mentioned +20.000€ for Panamera diesel and I think that every Euro of this 20.000 are worth it.

--

AM

ALDO:

I was at a private pre-presentation of Panamera G2 and the car looks in flash much much better then on the pictures. 

The BMW 7-series looks to ordinary compared to the new Panamera. Someone mentioned +20.000€ for Panamera diesel and I think that every Euro of this 20.000 are worth it.

+1 kiss

The farmer:
    ALDO:

+1 kiss

This may be because Porsche's pictures are all CG. The few real pictures of the car look better than the official ones.

The farmer:
    ALDO:

+1 kiss

Completely agree; I believe the 7 is way too plain and lackluster overall [chrome does not a classy car make] while the rest of BMW's line is fraught with over-styled cars that don't stand out... Well, except the i line.

Looking forward to seeing the G2 in the flesh sooner than later.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Mostly a compilation of other shorter videos already posted, but interesting all together.  Sorry if repost--I did try to search the thread first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jZ7aZ3beNE&sns=em

After my Panamera Turbo S, I kind of lost interest in any sedan on this planet. Not because it was a bad car, by no means but it just isn't my thing...sedans, can't help it.

In Germany, many are using the 7 series or S class for both, comfortable (business) traveling and representation of some sorts but I wonder where the Panamera would fit in because it is a bit flashier and sportier.

I assume the biggest single market for the Panamera could be the US.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC, I understand your curiosity about where the Panamera will fit into the luxury sedan market.  In my area I see a few Panameras, but primarily pre-facelift ones.  I see mostly Cayennes, 991s, Macans and Boxsters--in that order.  Lots of BMW 7s, Mercedes S class.

I came extremely close to getting a Panamera two years back, then went for a Cayenne Turbo because it better suited my daily needs for hauling kids, making family trips, loading miscellaneous gear.  I made the right decision, but admit I remain enthralled by the new Panamera.  My guess is many potential buyers feel the same way--love the Panamera but like/need a Cayenne.  

Most probably the Sport Turismo will convince those of us who are reluctant to the 4 seat only configuration and small trunk. Otherwise, the new Panamera is very appealing.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

I think the outgoing Panamera had a more sedan-like character (or limo-like, some might say) and was a more direct competitor to the 7 or S. The "hump" actually gave it a certain gravitas that the new Panamera lacks. The current design seems more of a grand tourer and, as such, has little in the way of high volume direct competitors. On the other hand, a 4-door grand tourer is much more of a niche market than a sedan.

The Sport Tourismo could be a Cayenne alternative, but the hatchback lacks the "U" of SUV.

cars have generally become a lot larger. so for travelling by car usually a 5 series e series a6 or the like suffice, furthermore, the top class suv's can do all the big limos can do and even more.

the bigger limos are more for representation or status. I feel they belong in places with little traffic....but in crowded cities with little parking spots and heavy traffic they are just a nuisance.

the panamera being a sporty alternative is somehow an oxymoron....but its success speaks for itself.

in many countries, especially developing countries, these cars are regarded as status symbol.

here for example you will always get more 'respect' in a 7 series than in a 911.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I agree with you! Cayenne Diesel and Cayman GT4 could cover all needs that one (not filthy rich) petrolhead needs kiss

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Seems the new Panamera will be over-tire-ed, 275/40ZR20 front and 315/35ZR20 rear angel

Wonder how good it will handle.

--

Yesterday I was at the "sneak preview" of the new Panamera in Dusseldorf. Very nice location in a private house/apartment the middle of Dusseldorf centre. Although de G2 is only 7 cm longer compared to the old one in person the car looks much bigger (very big). Design is nice inside is nice very elaborated PCM system with all kind of functions you will need an extra SIM card for internet access.  I wonder how much of these search functions in combination with the navigation will be used in practice. Together with the car a special cloth is supplied so you can keep the pressure sensitive buttons clean!!! Also the visitors could hear the sound of the car(s) via a Porsche sound box. This meant we were all standing around a sound box listing to the sound of a car; like school children listing to the sound of animals in the wild.

If find the design more main frame, the G1 Panamera design was new and different. You could argue if you like the G1 one yes or no but it was different. I am sure that the G2 and new Audi A7 will look very similar. Anyway for me this car is too big and bulky.

@Whoopsy it is still a Porsche it will handle very well

Panamera 4 E-Hybrid officially announced:
    https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-panamera-4-e-hybrid-launch-2016-12868.html

Already available in the configurator... Price vs performance is almost a surprise. MSRP in Germany 107.533 EUR. The 4S cost 113k EUR and 4S diesel 117k EUR. 0-100 in 4,6 and top speed of 278km/h. 50km range on electricity only.

The hybrid got 462hp (combined), Air Suspension with PASM and Sport Chrono as standard. Both these options costs extra for 4S/4S Diesel (3.500EUR approx).

For the first time it is possible to select brake caliper color. Either the acid green or black.

This seems like the pick in the range if not going for Turbo/Turbo S! If I had a diesel on order I would cancel it...

German MSRP for 4S is €113k, 4S Diesel €116k...not €133 and €137k, respectively.

Of course. Slipped the keyboard there with the prices. Updated my post. Thanks olli. My point however is still valid, amazing that the hybrid is cheaper than 4s/4s diesel...

Lukas:

Panamera 4 E-Hybrid officially announced:

On paper this one seems like best buy SmileySmileySmiley

--

It seems to be a bargain - 30k below the 4S Diesel. This would be my preferred combination! Especially - for a sedan you don't need the power of a race car. 

Lars997:

It seems to be a bargain - 30k below the 4S Diesel. This would be my preferred combination! Especially - for a sedan you don't need the power of a race car. 

Just did see, that the Diesel is only 3k more expensive not 30 as you posted. 

But still, the Hybrid seems to be the better deal. Also - it is good to show a sense of sustainability when driving a luxury sedan.

Sorry Guys, I, of course, totally disagree....smiley And had the last hybrid as a loner for one day. Terrible !!!mail

The farmer:

Sorry Guys, I, of course, totally disagree....smiley And had the last hybrid as a loner for one day. Terrible !!!mail

So your point is, 918 Spyder as a hybrid, is terrible Smiley

--

Well.... According to Whoopsy the GT3 RS is way more fun to drive than the 918 so if not terrible at least not as good as the super terrific New Panamera 4s Diesel....

And honestly, the buying of the diesel is somewhat a gamble, so let's see where it ends up. Let you know in December if deliverance goes according to plan. yes

BUT.... The old Panamera hybrid was booooooring to drive 

Well your diesel is fun too, if you ever run low on fuel, you could always just pour in some fryer oil or something and keep going, a diesel engine will basically burn anything smiley

Man I am so tempted to buy the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid now. I loved the look of the new interior and the exterior, but didn't want to get a Turbo and then they come out with a Turbo S. But buying the Hybrid version means I am going down a different path and it would not be odd to go back to the performance side and buy the Turbo S when it comes out.

--

What is the point getting a Panamera when you have the FF?

Sometimes buying a car has no point laugh

--

Hilarious  and true! wink

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753157 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430752 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255469 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79520 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868351 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801910 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM