Until a few months ago I knew nothing at all about Porsches, and it has been a steep learning curve. I had set foot in a dealership once about 3 years ago, and was ignored, so I left and bought an XK8 cabriolet, a stunning looking car and as far as I was concerned very sporty.
On looking to change I went into the dealership again, this time they took some notice of me (possibly because I had a car which made me a realistic prospect). I was given an hours test drive in a facelift 996 Tiptronic, which was OK but the car seemed noisy and tiring to drive, although very quick and with wonderful brakes.
I was at this point wondering whether I could put up with the 911 because it looked Ok, was a little fun to drive but held it's value very well. I was then lent a 996 Targa manual, which I was given for 3 days by the dealer (enlightened policy). I returned determined to have a Porsche, I had learned to listen to the engine and enjoy the handling a little.
I am an experienced driver, I have held a licence for 30 years now, and drive 20,000 miles a year at least I have completed 3 month long Police driver training courses (but not high speed or pursuit driving), so I have a vague idea about the right line for a corner.
Rather then buy an outgoing model (I am still interested in the depreciation remember) I put my name down in May for a 997 Tiptronic. I read this forum and some reviews and that changes to a 997S in manual.
I now have my 997. I love it, I love the sound, I love the handling I love the gearbox, I love the colour. My biggest regret is not discovering Porsche 20 years ago, for the last 15 I could certainly have had a decent one and enjoyed it. I have a friend who bought a used 993 Turbo and who had it for 18 months then sold it, he made Pounds1500, I though this was the cleverest car deal I had ever heard of, I now think he is an [censored], imagine selling a car like that to return to normal motoring (Alright so his kids had to go to University).
I went for a drive 2 days after getting the car, I booked lunch in a restaurant 125 miles away for my wife and I, just to give me an excuse to drive for a while, almost all of the 125 miles were on country roads. I got used to the car and the way it feels, the weather was spectacular and the route was through the Lake District National park (although the best parts were on the outskirts where it was very quiet. On the A686 between the market town of Alston and the top of Hartside Bank (A cross between Lombard street and Pikes Peak) with spectacular views across moor land you hit a series of bends that you might drive at 40, or 50 if you were in a hurry, but in this car at 60 the bends simply swept past one to the left one to the right, as if set up perfectly to keep a type of rhythm, just stunning. The feel of the car the view, just wonderful.
The car just feels right, it has made driving a pleasure again, I don't even need to speed to get the fix on the right road. I am still inhibited by the running in requirements, and looking forward to the feel of the car when I can get between 5,000 to 7,000 RPM, which ought to cause another dimension of acceleration, which is already spectacular. Even my wife (Who has a RX300 Lexus 4X4) enjoys driving it (Cayenne next?).
The car was comfortable and although I was a little tired after 250 miles or so, I had a great day. I am now determined to explore the cars limits and will sign up for a Porsche drivers training day (unless anyone has a better idea), and I have put my name down for another 997 next year or when ever it arrives, this time with DSG, but then there is the Turbo to look forward to. I am seriously hooked on this.
(Lunch was pretty good too)