Quote:
carlos fromspain said:
...and like you said, I bet many are waiting for the facelift 997 which will be what the first 997 should of been....

Funny thing is most people called the 997 the true successor after the 993...

Carlos, out of curiousity have you driven / owned the 993 prior to your current one?

I honestly would consider a decent 993 for weekend use OR a brand new 997 for everyday use. The depreciation on the later is immense though - I could finance the 993 with the depreciation only and have enough money left for repairs...

The air-cooled 911s were anachronisms, the fastest cars of the bunch but with components dating back four decades! It was more of a couch on steroids for me than anything else. The 996 lost this character completely and since I could excuse the fit&finish on that car the improved handling and the different but nice looks on that car would've made it attractive to me.

Porsche has the great situation that they received a lot of new customers with the 996 yet have a lot of 993 owners waiting for a true successor of their old sweetheart.
What would a company want more...?

When Porsche released a new model in the past it usually had about the same hp figures in std. version as the predecessor with Powerkit (e.g. 993 LK to 996) so we have an S-version now that is not even superior to the 996 with powerkit. I'd say a lot of people would buy this car for the upgraded engine alone if they would've been provided a decent bump in output.

RC, what is your opinion about the Boxster? Judging by your comments you are not too convinced about it.
I'd say they improved it in the right spots, e.g. chassis, interior, and I bet the headlights look much better in reality than on the pictures...

Greetings!