RC:

No, I'm not mixing up anything. I was just referring to thermodynamics, not to the technology (water spraying per se), simply because I don't know of any scientific study about that (I guess Porsche has some sort of technical documentation about water spraying but I doubt they will publish it Smiley). 

You don't seem to understand what I am referring to: Any change in temperature has a direct consequence for emissions. If you raise the power by lowering the intake temperature, the emissions will change. This is now the tricky part, to find the perfect balance between power, reliability, emissions and amount of coolant (water) you need.

It is possible to use the water spraying to control emissions. Of course Porsche could have raised the power of the engine to 700 hp without water spraying but then, they would have needed a different approach which would have required certain hardware mods. The water spraying solution was the most (cost) effective one in my opinion, without the need of a major engine overhaul and maybe different more expensive turbo chargers and intercoolers.

I get what you are saying and you're probably theoretically right but for official emissions testing the water spray will make zero difference as they are not carried out anywhere near the conditions where the water spray will be active yes  

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.