Quote:
STRADALE said:
Quote:
Crash said:
Quote:
STRADALE said:
Quote:
cannga said:
I don't sit at idle at start up, but do at the end of any drive, when I have time and particularly if the drive has been "exciting."
As you probably already know, it's a good idea to let any turbo engine idle after a spirited drive to allow the turbine to cool off, as it has been spinning at a much higher rpm than the engine. At least that's what some mechanic told me.

Actually it mentions that in the manual as well; that you should let it idle a bit after a drive. It's interesting though regarding their recommendation to drive right off. You think that has something to do w/ the dry-sump? I looked in my F430 manual but didnt see any mention of the same but most guys I know let their F-cars warm up first.

Anyway, it's actually a very nice convenience, I mean who wants to sit there waiting for temps to come up before driving off.

That's recommended for all the cars here. Something to do with the engine not getting to working temperature just sitting there and thus wearing out quickly.

So you're saying w/ the F430 you should also drive off instead of letting idle first? I know the vast majority of Ferrari guys that I've driven w/ do the opposite. Obviously we know what the official recommendation is from Porsche but I couldnt find anything in my F430 manual about the same. I was just wondering if Porsche's recommendation had anything to do w/ dry-sump engines & hence the difference vs. the old theory of letting the car warm up a bit before driving off.

Just drive off. Letting the car run idle does more harm than good.