Quote:
MAVERICK said:
What is the difference between RUF and Porsche Gmbh in terms of quality, reliability, and warranty? RC is not impressed by RUF's products. Why? Is RUF not respected in Germany? Is there a German aftermarket tuner who is better than RUF and offers better quality, reliability, and warranty?

I try to make it short without too much bla bla.

1. Alois Ruf and his wife are very nice people and Alois for sure is a car nutt, no doubt about it.
I'm also pretty sure that Alois Ruf, from what I heard from some of his customers, cares very much about customer satisfaction and personal contacts to his customers resulting sometimes in a real friendship relation.
2. Ruf uses Porsche cars for his products, so I don't see where the better quality should come from? He could be at the same level (although I doubt it because he can't test his products as Weissach does) but not better.
3. I never saw a current RUF Porsche win a race, RUF also doesn't take part in the Tuner Grand Prix or other comparable media events where similar products are tested one against another.
4. RUF is not supported by Porsche. I know that some RUF fans claim that but this isn't true. As far as I know, he buys his Porsche parts from Porsche dealers (like anybody else ) and he doesn't get them from Porsche directly.
Even worse...there is a strong rumor that RUF is on Porsche's "blacklist" regarding parts and support.
5. The pros who professionally race Porsche cars in Germany and other countries, usually use Reinhold Schmirler (RS-Tuning) for engine building and tuning. Mr. Schmirler is a former employee of RUF and there is a rumor that he didn't leave RUF in a peaceful manner.
6. RUF seems to "live" from his past, his reputation is still high but right now, there are various other Tuners (well, RUF is actually a manufacturer ) who are specialized in engines, or suspension setups or even specialized on certain Porsche models.

My personal conclusion: to impress me, it needs more.