Well, I've had a great time withm my 997S since buying it in 2005, but with small kids its time to move on to something more practical that will serve as an every day driver which can also accomodate a baby seat in the back. I know I can get a baby seat in the 997, but its simply too cramped to be of use on anything but a short journey.

Im looking for something with great performance, a bit of room to accomodate kids and gear - will not need to be a track star as I have that front already covered. Have been test driving a few vehicles, and its decison time. Dont want to spend any more than $100k.

Cayene Turbo is too much money imho, and Im not sold on the look either. E63 AMG is quick, but I didnt think that the drivability was that good beyond straight line performance. Have looked at the various SUV's such as the Range Rover and Merc GL - but want something quicker. ML63 looks scrunched up. Jeep SRT8 is quick, but scared the heck out of me on the test drive as it didnt corner well at all (versus everything else Ive driven) on a highway on ramp and generally felt unstable.

Concluding that the M5 with new 2008 SMG system is the way to go (sounds like the bugs have been worked out and the test drive went fine but Im not expert with this gearbox). Enjoyed driving the car, and with the research Ive done although you can get a 6 speed manual, sounds like it has a few cooling problems if driven hard which causes the management system to rev limit the engine. Also, as the wife will drive the new car having a semi-auto is a plus.

Dont meant to start a 997 bashing thread - very happy with mine but I need something practical and dont want to have a garage full of cars (wife has an SUV so that front is covered).

Before plonking down the money this week, interested if anyone has any real world ownership experience of the 08 M5, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.