In DOT terms, there's very little that can change (carpets, maybe...) before they want the revenue from repeated crash tests and paperwork. In the 964, it was not possible to delete electric window winders because of their role in side-impact testing ... madness.
Porsche is too small and sells too few cars to deal with government bureaucrats and red tape.

The Carrera GT is a marvel and the number of new technologies in the car (equal to the Enzo) leave me without any answers for how Porsche can sell the car in the US. From environmental impact issues (use of Magnesium) to crash safety (bumper height, seat and passenger cell testing) and I have no explanation for how they get those wheels through testing -- I guess it's still a stud system, but it's so easily converted to centre-lock, there will surely be C-GT's running in "track" trim on the street and the track exhaust will be awesome even in comparison to the already spine-chilling sound of the street system ... great times ahead for the Porsche wealthy ...