No guys, I've only done about 2700 miles in my 997S so far so I have plenty of treadwear left!

I just posted this thread out of general curiosity and so that it might be informative to others here.

BTW, just fyi, the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (N0) tyre (rated 7th) is Porsche N-spec approved but is not the same thing as the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tyre (which is rated 1st but which is not Porsche N-spec).

[I'm no tyre expert but I am aware that Porsche N-spec tyres are produced in collaboration with Porsche. Such N-spec tyres tend to have stiffer side walls for instance. Also, in the UK, OPCs tend to state that they will only sell a car if it has Porsche N-spec tyres fitted].

Here in the UK, Kwik-Fit, a major chain of garages carrying out tyre, battery and exhaust replacement has, from time to time, had a promotional offer where, if you buy 4 Michelin tyres in one go, you get 25% off the total price. It's been a very popular deal.

My local OPC (Porsche East London) also told me that the only tyre they keep in stock at all times is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (N1). All the others have to be ordered in (takes anything from 1 day to 2 weeks).

Since I only use my car on the public roads, I must say that, one day, when I need to change all 4 of my tyres, I might be tempted to try the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for their longevity. They are rated 400 AA A compared to 220 AA A for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I did a quick search on the Tire Rack website and the RE960AS were listed as one of the 'best sellers'. I know that different tyre manufacturers measure these ratings somewhat differently but if you compare within the same brand (to eliminate any discrepancy caused thereby), the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres are rated only 140 AA A. It is theoretically possible therefore that the RE960AS tyre may last 2-3 times longer than the RE050A tyre. Let's see how long my currents Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s last!

Being frank, IMHO there's a certain amount of showmanship at play in my view i.e. enthusiasts like to think of themselves as people who always put performance first and cost a distant second. As such, they couldn't be seen fitting anything less than a max performance tyre to their sports car for fear of what others might think. I think that's indicative of some kind of insecurity on their part. Don't get me wrong - there are people out there who buy a more expensive tyre (like the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2) for good reason and who may appreciate any additional performance they might offer.

Overall, I think we should all just choose the tyres that meet our needs. A guy who only drives 3000 miles per year using his 911 for pleasure at the weekends may treat cost factors differently from someone doing 30000 miles per year in a 911 used as a daily commuter car.

Just my thoughts....