ALDO:

OEMs like Porsche or Mercedes have a relativ narrow vertical integration. The knowledge is spread between OEM and supplier. Opposite is KIA or Hyundai.

You can think about 30/40 OEM and 60/70 % supplier.

So it is not Porsche alone having some knowldege about suspension it is Porsche 40% and 60% the supplier. Sometime the development is secured for one OEM for 1,2 or 3 years but it is more usual to have the supplier develop the part/module/system and it will be offered to all OEMs with minor modifications.

Speaking about cornering capabilities of MB S class and Porsche Panamera - > if MB would like it could be nearly the same. But MB doesn`t like it. The same applies to Tesla If they would like to have a stiffier suspension with higher cornering speeds the supplier will do the project for them.

Yes and no. Mercedes and BMW have problems keeping up with Porsche in various domains and this isn't only a band culture issue only. One of my close friends is an engineer for BMW. I could tell you stories (which unfortunately I can't because it would be a breach of trust)...but in general, Porsche has a lot of respect in the car engineering world. My friend once said "with a lower gain margin, Porsche would destroy the competition" and I think he is right. If Porsche would accept a lower margin per car, let's say half of it (which would still be pretty profitable), their cars would be amazing. I know for a fact that Porsche development is often constrained and limited by budget limitations and unfortunately Porsche doesn't seem to make much difference between a Boxster, a Cayenne or a 911 supercar.

Porsche could easily cope with McLaren but they don't. Why? Again...gain margin. A car like the 720S from Porsche would cost the customer more than 300k EUR. Base price. Ouch. JFYI: The 720S base price (incl. VAT) is 247k EUR. This is why the cost reduction from the synergy with Lamborghini and others is needed for the "960" project. A 960 base model for a 300k EUR starting price would not be competitive.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)