Carlos from Spain:
MKSGR:

A Tesla is mainly offered for the not-so-clever masses that check out cars in the shopping malls (as mentioned in the other thread). That tells a lot...

Ouch! Smiley

Smiley OK, Markus may have been a little bit harsh here and last time I remember, you were visiting the Aventura Mall as well, Markus...so... Smiley Smiley

Joking aside: A Tesla is no bargain. A P100D costs around 160k EUR in Germany with most important options and incl. VAT. So the price difference to a Panamera Turbo S isn't really that big, same goes to the Model X and the future Cayenne Turbo S with the same hybrid tech. 

I assume ELVs are the future, I really don't know because ELVs have so many downsides and I won't even start with resale value because unlike cars with a regular petrol engine, you won't see a Tesla S from today driving around in 10 years. I am actually pretty positive about it. ELV tech changes almost by the month, so today's tech may be obsolete in five years and I doubt that collectors will find most of these cars attractive enough to collect them.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy any ELV or hybrid model right now anyway. I would only lease. Just imagine a battery and/or charging tech breakthrough at some point in the future, and it will happen (this tech is just too young) and then you can literally see the resale value of any ELV tank over night. Hybrids? Not so much but similar situation: New tech, lots of advances over time and resale value will be horrible.

This is why I meant that it is going to take at least another 20 years before ELVs will make it to the mass markets. People who drive nowadays new cars costing 15-30k EUR...new...won't be interested in an ELV and the others may have higher expectations when it comes to range, quality and comfort (luxury).

I do not envy Tesla, this is a very very difficult market. Probably the major reason behind Porsche's hybrid approach and I am pretty sure others will follow. Putting your money (and tech/development) on ELVs only may work for Tesla because they basically have a monopoly in this domain right now but god forbid if the big manufacturers wake up and they will. As soon as this makes sense and as soon as it is profitable for them.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)