Quote:
milkee1991 said:
Hi fellow rennteam members. I would want to know if buying a 996 with high miles (60-80ish) would be realiable. What kind of problems would i be facing? How much are the maintanence services? Is it worth buying one still or should i just go and buy different car.

I'm soryy to say this, but stay away from the 996 series. These cars are very prone to engines and gearbox are severe failures and problems
I've had a replaced engine on my 50000Km 996 3.4L. 10.000 euros bill including a new clucth. Two friends of mine had a their 996 and 986 S engines replaced too, it's a desgrace believe me.
Here's some links to 996 blown out engines and gearbox.

996 blow out with engine pics

My own engine blown out

996 Broken engine

996 engine failure

996 engine failure from 2002 MY

more

And more

Died 996 engine

996 with engine and gearbox replaced

Several 996 broken gearbox

986 Broken engine

Interesting read

5 RMS and three engines blown at the dealer. Read Scouser post. on this link. (pics)

Another comun 996 engine problem

Áfter reading your post I've made a 5 minures search over the biggest internet "used car for sale" site mobile.de, all cars are in Germany There are several 996 used for sale runing on their second engine and other's being sold with broken engine.

996 for sale with broken engine

Another 996 for sale with pictures of broken engine

If you make a search on mobile.de for used 996 cars , you'll find many engines replaced.

Here's a sad storie of a long term test made to a 2003 996 Carrera 4 S made by a known magazine. 996 car was fantastic on every aspects but had a blown engine that made the author questioned Porsche reliability.
When I had my engine replaced , on the day i went there to talk with Porsche tech, he had the nerve to show me a remanufacter 996 engine they had just received from Germany for a 996 Carrera from 2001 (oil in water another comun problem) and he told me "that's what your remanufacter engine will look engine would look"
Ever since 1997 the 986 and 996 have been blowing at a scary rate, and many more will explode thrue out the years, it's just a matter of time and kilometers before it happened.
I'm a Porsche lover and had a Boxter and 996 Carrera who gave me much pleasure to own, and the fact I had a blown out on the 996 and a replaced gearbox on the Boxster wont be the reason for me not to buy a Porsche, but never the Boxster and 996 series, 996 GT3 and 996TT apart, bacause those are among the best engines Porsche ever made, their base is the GT1 engine, the bullet prove engine