Quote:
TX 911 said:
Why not use the current GT3 engine for the 380 hp versions? I'd rather have that than the M96 engine.

I think we all would. I don't know how the M96 motor would fare in racing conditions. I like my Porsches with engines proven at Le Mans, it doesn't matter to me whether it is in the GT class or prototype.

I certainly hope the weight isn't increased, not by one kilo. I'm not the type of driver who needs navigation systems or sound deadening, but since the current 996 has these types of things, what needs to added in the 997? I realize larger engines, wheels, and brakes add to the weight, but don't they have better materials and smarter ways to use them than before? Shouldn't the goal be to have the car be lighter than the previous version, instead of saying: "oh ten kilograms more isn't much more," with every new generation?

I keep hearing that Porsche is very profitable. Doesn't this mean to some extent that the profit margins on their cars is too high? I want Porsche to be profitable and I want it to remain an independent company even if it means doing things that we enthusiasts might not like (as long as they keep making pure GT models). However, I don't think a 997 widebody with 380hp should cost more than 100k. I think that the turbos were a good deal at their price, but the NA cars shouldn't be priced so high, especially if they are just 2 wheel drive.

There are some people that can afford to buy a new GT3 every 4 years and I think that is wonderful. I'd love to be able to do that. However, I probably won't be able to, although I think I could save enough to buy one and enjoy it for twenty years. The point is that Porsches, in my opinion, are not limited to the super rich like Ferrari. A hundred thousand US dollars is a lot of money, but it is possible for someone with an average salary to buy one new if they are a hard core fan and make a few sacrifices. I wouldn't mind spending 1-2 years worth of my salary for my Porsche passion and I hope Porsche continues to price their cars so that owning a new one remains an impractical possibility for the average man instead of an impossibility. This is one of the reasons that I'm working hard in college on a degree in physics and engineering so hopefully I'll make slightly more than the average man.