Today, read on Autouno Magazine's front page June issue describing the BMW Z M Coupe as Cayman S for Nutters. I read some details on the article and it looks like BMW is really beefing up its full M lineup and its Z lineup. The Z4 M convertible supposedly propels the car from 0-100 in 5.0 seconds flat and it looks like the Power Game is really on. Even the normal 3 series lineup get a Twin Turbo 335i version and this is all before the rollout of the V8 300 + horsepower M3 coupe. I have this feeling that the powergame is really on again and BMW is taking the lead (of course we also have the SLK 55 AMG 300+ hp mini slr on steroids) by rolling out the M Coupe.

I suddenly have this feeling that Porsche will definitely be under some pressure to upgrade its full lineup soon as well as its antiquated fiddly tiptronic system (BMW's SMG and Audi's gearbox...). It is to my belief that Porsche is never about raw power but about handling, balance and proportion. Some will argue that there is no better candidate to pick except the Corvette Z6 if you wanna get a car 2/3 the price of a porsche that could put dust on even the carrera s (or head to head with turbo).

But I mean for Autouno to call BMW Z M Coupe as Cayman S for nutters definitely carries a negative tonality in my mind. I can't help but start to think that no matter how Porsche strives to focus on balance and proportion, it is definitely under a lot of pressure to upgrade itself. I mean even the 330i or 335i can give the 987s a run for its money and for the much touted cayman s, at 295 hp... I can't stop but think that it is only a matter of time before Porsche must give it at least 300+ hp. Even the Carrera S (to me the base carrera, the legend, may now only be marganally called fast BY COMPARISON) must upgrade itself soon in terms of the power department. Can someone shed some light on this? Of course the 911 Turbo is still the Turbo and it is still most respectable but any other lineup just feels a bit too ordinary. Porsche has a legacy and it is to me DA SPORTSCAR... A Porsche is not only balanced but also fast but given what I had read lately, I can't help but have this dismal feeling that Porsche might have no choice but to get into this powergame to keep up its reputation. Afterall, Porsche is a Porsche... there is no substitute right?