unotaz:

It's ok, most people hate the 911R because: 

1. They can't get one

2. They can't get one

Let's dissect the 911R in terms of pricing shall we? It's currently 55K (US Spec, in USD) more than a standard GT3, but it has the following features on top of the GT3:

- PCCB ($9210 option here in the US)

- Carbon fiber hood (Suncoast part has this part listed for $11,900)

- Carbon fiber fender (don't know the price, but assume it's probably the same as the carbon fiber hood at $10-12K)

- Magnesium roof (can't even fit this after market, let's call this $5K)

- RS 4.0 engine (how much would you value the RS engine vs. the regular GT3 engine? Let's call it a $25K premium)

- Houndstooth fabric ($5K, and it's not even available for the US market from Porsche Exclusive)

- Limited edition (priceless)

I think Porsche priced the 911R very fairly and honestly, I would have paid more for the 911R if Porsche raised the MSRP.  

-- 

Well, if the car appreciates, then any price is a good deal, but let's be honest here. Half that stuff no one would probably want to spec anyway at those prices. The vast majority of people would never spec stuff like $5K fabric inserts on the seats. $25K worth of CF that you'd never even notice being there because it's painted?

Porsche is throwing in all this stuff at premium prices. It's the equivalent of Porsche only selling $160K full-loaded C2S and calling it a deal. It's not a deal. They are just build very high priced options in the price, a lot of which most would probably never spec anyway.

What premium these cars will carry when prices settle down on the used market, I have no idea. That said, 991 cars is decent amount of cars. CGTs depreciated for quite a while and it was far more special and quite rare as well. There are no less than 20 GT3 RS on eBay last I checked the other day.

And again, if what people are saying is true, the car will be no more special than a badge if the 991.2 GT3 has a manual option and a wing-delete option. Time will tell I guess.