Synthetic, yes, this is a good description. kiss Similar to the first 991 steering feel when they introduced the electric steering. Now they (Porsche) have improved it to perfection, the 991 GTS steering feels really highly analogue and extremely direct. I love it.

What I really like about the new Mini JCW is the small size (kind of) but the much higher level of "maturity" compared to the previous generation(s). I would not get a less powerful version and I would always order the options the car has, both really enhance the driving experience. Wouldn't have been happy with the Mini One, now I am 100% sure (thanks god I listened to my wife this time ).

A few more details:

HUD: Interesting concept (with that plastic screen, apparently the Mini windshield is too curved to use a "direct" projection) but the information displayed could be a tiny bit bigger and more detailed. I miss a boot pressure or oil temperature gauge in the HUD. Actually, the Mini JCW doesn't seem to have an oil temperature or boost pressure gauge at all. You can display the water temperature through the Mini Connect app though, even power and torque. Adding the chrono package would change that but considering where the chrono package resides, I'm not so sure it is a very good option.

Harman Kardon sound system: Highly recommended! Not very good but slightly better (more base available) than the Porsche BOSE system. 

Navigation system: Basically the BMW navigation. Works very well.

Mini Connect/Office: Works well, needs an USB cable to connect (doesn't work through BT, only BT audio is supported). Interesting functions, for example you can use Rhapsody (or other supported music services like Amazon Prime Music) through the Mini navigation command centre, incl. searches. Nice.

Steptronic: Best automatic transmission I ever encountered in a small car. If you set the Steptronic to "S" mode and choose the "S" driving mode as well, you get a perfect (honestly!) throttle/shifting response and a very direct steering feel. Very good setup, the engineers put a lot of work into that.

LED headlights: Wow, best light ever on such a small compact. Amazing. Highly recommended!!!

Chassis: Stiff but still (almost) comfortable. Side roll is quite limited, which is nice. Doesn't feel as go-kart like as my 991 GTS but almost...

Sound (engine/exhaust): Inside the car, you can hear a louder but typical 4-cyl. sound, outside the car the sound is a bit more noticeable and the exhaust makes those crackle/spitting noises when in S mode. Sounds OK but not spectacular but OK enough not to be annoyed...or bored, which is good.

Quality (interior): The quality look and feel is impressive for such a small car, better than BMW's 1 and 2 series for sure. Only downside: When driving on a bad road, you can hear some noises from the material "moving". My 991 GTS is much better in that (was to be expected) but still, very impressive quality for such a small car. Mini has matured.

Visibility: Amazing visibility from the inside, a very good car for the city or for older people/beginners.

Rear view camera: Excellent quality, much better than the quality on my 991 GTS. What is wrong with you, Porsche? enlightened

What do I not like too much?

Well...the fuel gauge for example. Too playful, too gimmicky. A simple and classic fuel gauge would have been nicer.

I also miss a gauge for oil temperature and boost pressure. C'mon, Mini...you can do better. 

The engine cover also looks boring, when you open the engine hood, you are expecting something nice, something worthy of the name JCW but all you get is a simple plastic engine cover with a barely noticeable Twin Turbo Power lettering (not even sure what this "twin turbo" power means since the car has a mono turbo as far as I know).

I also don't know why the Mini JCW comes with 205 tires, they just don't look good on the car. 245s rear, 225s front, best look in my opinion (or 225s all around).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)