@Grant: Problem is, i wouldnt want to be seen in a Mitsubishi Evo with stripes and spoilers. 

The Golf in a nice color looks very subtle and serious. Not a problem to go to a business meeting with it and no problem to go to the supermarket either. 

@ Amazon: I dont like the styilng of the Audi and the fact that it is kind of an aspirational car i dont like either. A Golf is a Golf, whether you are professor, student, banker or housewife there is not really a clichee' attached to it. The  S3 is also based on the MQB but the setups of the cars are different. The jury is still out on the Golf R as no jouranlist have yet tested it (apart from snowdrifting).  The performances shown from S3 are very good. (0-100 5.2. 0-200 19.9 with manual shift). With a llittle tweak from mtm it does 4.9 and 17.5 in manual option!  As a refernece the old Golf R with 270 hp did 0-100 in 6.0 and 0-200 in 24.2. So there has been a massive increase in performance. VW claims 8.15 for the car on the Ring which would be quite impressive...

--

turbolite