Whoopsy:

If my memory serves me right, the AMG V12 is the oldest among AMG's engines, I think it's a combination iron and aluminum block, hasn't switched to the new process, unlike the all aluminum V8s. Then there is the beefier blocks, have you see how BIG an AMG engine block is? Have a look at the 6.2 V8 and compare that with say the V8 from 430/458. The Ferrari engines, fully dressed looks quite a bit slimmer even account for the smaller engine size, there is no spare metal in the whole block.

Then there is the turbo chargers and intercoolers and all their associated plumbing and fixtures. These are all absent from Ferrari and Lamborghini V12s. More added weight.

Pagani are super light weight compared with other cars so they do not need as much low end torque as the Mercedes AMGs, the added torque is just going to overload the rear wheels and kills acceleration time from stop or low speed.

I loved AMG engines, I missed the 55K in my CLS55 the most to be honest. But I mentioned Lotus simply because they do outside contract work, unlike AMG who only deals inhouse with Mercedes. Porsche Engineering could be another choice.

So a clean sheet design along the Ferrari architecture, NA engine that makes power up top with minimal torque down low would be a great match for Pagani. It's doesn't have to be a V12, could be a V10 or a V8. But you get my drift.

Yes Zonda is super fast around the ring, but can it last? A GT-R is fast around the ring too, but only for a lap or 2, it doesn't have the endurance to run the same lap time lap after lap. A Porsche GT3RS or a Ferrari Scuderia maybe a bit slower on a single lap, but they are race proven and can pretty much lap at the same pace for 24hrs straight without any problem. That's racing heritage and pedigree, something Pagani is still lacking.

I think you're basing a lot of your opinion on conjecture. What "looks" heavy does not have to be. Yes an combo iron aluminum block is heavier than an all aluminum one, but I doubt it's significant, definitely not 100 lbs, probably less than a 40lb difference. The fact that the car is so much lighter than its competitors is a strong indication that the engine is not unduly burdensome, but again this is conjecture. FYI the Zonda has no turbos or intercoolers, just a shit ton of power and torque.Smiley The Huayra uses turbos, but the car remains a lightweight by comparison.

Various reviews of the Zonda have praised the car for its drivability and linearity of power and performance. I don't think we should bash (or unduly praise) Pagani cars based on our assumptions. Based on the words of people who have driven the cars, they are absolute masterpieces. Smiley