nberry:

REgarding reliability I can support Iain;s statement that Ferrari's have improved tremendously. Our local Ferrari dealer service department has suffered a dramatic decline in service work all attributed to better build quality of recent Ferrari models.

I also agree there is more passion in driving a Ferrari but I have come to believe it has more to do with the exhaust than the driving experience. I miss the Ferrari exhaust while driving the new Turbo.But I DO NOT MISS THE PERFORMANCE because the Turbo I am driving would have SPANKED all my previous Ferrari's. 

Also, I am amazed has to how many thumbs up from other drivers while driving the Turbo. I have always felt that there were too many Porsche's but the car has a rabid following. For some unfathomable reason women like Porsche's better than Ferrari's. I believe a survey was done supported that fact. I have experienced first hand when I owned Ferrari's. 

Give me the Ferrari sound in my wife's 997.2TT and there is no way I would pick the 458 over it. It is a $100,000 cheaper, better build quality and has equal if not better performance for public roads.

Finally, to repeat what I wrote above, today the major problem with Ferrari is putting miles on the car.  Go over 2-3000 miles and you are facing epic depreciation.

Nick thx... regarding the depreciation...that's something I don't know but ferrari and porsche are best when it comes to depreciation... I will lose may 20-25% even after 7000 km almost 24 months. Put that on the R8 you will lose up to 45% . Really 2-3000 is the benchmark for epic depreciation... that makes the california being a daily driver a weak proposition.