Let me put it this way, a FULLY optioned brand new Audi A8 4.2 (either diesel or petrol) costs as much as an equivalent Cayenne S, the Hybrid S being MORE expensive.  Same exercise of course with a Mercedes S and 7 series.  In fact a CT costs as much as a 4 door Bentley Flying Spur!!!

No offense, but we are talking about a car based on a Touareg chassis which probably costs P no more than E27.500 ex engine.  I love the Cayenne, and at £15.000 less (E17.000, car is cheaper in the UK on top of that) I would jump on it, remembering that in the UK you will not get much of a discount.

What annoys me more than anything though are the twin evils of Europe subsidising the US market, even the UK market now, and Porsche starting to really missplacing its range.  There was a reason the Cayenne sold so well, it targeted an area which criss-crossed between very high end 3 series / C classes / A4 estates all the way up to very low end 7 series / S classes / A8 taking all 4x4s with it.  In other words it is a very wide market where choices are dictated by a badge, style, boredom (how many of us are now on our 4-5-6 BMW / Merc / Audi of some kind of other) and family circonstances.

These prices though are different, they are targeted at the luxury end of the market, same as the Panamera which is far more expensive than equivalent save for Bentley and AM.  I voted with an XFR, I cannot see myself at all go for a Cayenne, especially once the BMW / Merc / Audi hybrids 4x4s are out.  As for the Touareg we still have a MkI in the family and I much prefer my own X5, although as per previous totally bored on BMWs now.