Alex_997TT:
amazon:

The GT3 really is the real porsche nowadays. It's just so different than all those 997s, 4s and turbos out there.

When I first drove one (I'll always remember it as one of the best moment in my entire life) , right after a 997 turbo, I was so shocked by the experience that I know, for sure, that it's the best 911 ever.

There's such a difference between a everyday 997 and a GT3... people who haven't had the chance to drive one have no idea...

I must have missed something when I drove the 997.1 GT3 the other day on the Silverstone Porsche handling tracks.  I started in a 997.2 C4S, then went to a 997.2 C2S and then ended in a 997.1 GT3.  All 3 of them felt HUGELY under-powered when I put my foot down coming out of corners, I was frankly bored in the sections where I usually have the most fun.  The GT3 certainly felt the most nimble, being the lightest, but I think for a daily car I would have actually rated the 997.2 C4S as the best all rounder.

At the end of the day I got back into my Turbo, got to a stretch of dual carriageway and nailed the throttle.  OMG what a difference!  My Turbo's handling too is now on a par with the GT3, it's only the extra weight that cannot be hidden.  So you can indeed turn a Turbo into a GT3 with a few extras fitted but sadly you can't turn a GT3 into a Turbo.

The 997 GT3 as the best 911 ever?  I suppose it depends on what you are personally  looking for.  I myself will never get bored of shifting down to 2nd gear and nailing it  in my Turbo - the G-force is so absurd it's comical and always puts a smile on my face.  As the 997.2 GT3 is supposed to be as fast as a Turbo I wonder whether it would give me the same seat-of-pants G-force feel?  Most guys interested in a GT3 wouldn't care about such things I suppose, only how fast it can take corners...

--

Click for bigger picture!

The 997 turbo is quite impressive, but it's not to my taste. I guess it really is q question of preference and personal taste.

For me, tth Turbo felt like a train on rails. tons of power but not enough sensations. On the other hand, the GT3 felt light and aggressive, and the engine's response was immediate when you hit the throttle. The engine going up to 8.000 was giving me a smile on my face. 

I guess I don't really like engine with turbos. I prefer a simple and more linear engine with a higher redline. 

To each is own. Smiley  Smiley  I guess it's like trying to convince someone else that red is better than blue... everyone has its preferences and that's why Porsche offers such a range of different models.