SciFrog:
The 997TT better be significantly faster on the NBR the the pre FL...

Every time I see a US amateur driver (like me) talks about the Turbo's 7:52 ring time as if it were a failure, I almost want to cry. This is an example of magazine racing at its worst. Wasn't 7:52 the fastest time ever for a 2+2 with manual gear box, let alone one designed to be a daily driver?

Has any car with manual gear box surpassed that mark (or one whose gear box doesn't fall off Smiley)? Seems to be zero, right? http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID=0&gID=3&tID=10073&viewThread=y

We all want the current Turbo to be faster, and it is not without flaws, but you must remember it is 7:52 and not 7:32 for many reasons: some passenger comfort, ride height, rear seat, easy clutch & control effort, 4wd, easy ingress and egress, etc. Many owners, including me, want those features. You could have a all-out race car such as the great GT2, or a daily-driver sport car that is stupendously fast, but to expect both might lead to unreasonable and excessive preoccupation with ring time.

--

Regards,
Can
997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)