Omigod, I swear I am starting to like it.  The first side view (in another thread) really threw me off, especially the apparent front/rear disproportion.  But I think the direct side view may distort the overall 3-D look of the car, since I think the front/rear and angled views are attractive. 

Also, as I read the press release accompanying the official pics above, I began to appreciate that Porsche is really not making a four door saloon, but more of a large sports car with the characteristics of a 911 (use of inside space, view outward, the focus on the driving experience and passenger experience).  I began to focus less on design, and more on function/driving aesthetics first with design to follow.  I thought of how, if Porsche were to introduce the 997 FL as the very first new model today, how it would be ridiculed for its shape and design.  It is much like the Cayenne, which really introduced the concept of a true SPORT utility vehicle (as opposed to a luxurious utility vehicle).  The Panamera, one could argue from Porsche's standpoint, is  introducing a true sports four door sedan, not a four door sedan with a lot of power (DB9, Maserati, BMW, etc.).  This sports focus will certainly be enhanced with the rear spoiler, and--dare I say it--the rear hatchback design which eliminates the design extension of a more rectangular trunk space.

Of course much will depend on performance.  If it is lackluster or indistinguishable from its competition, focus will remain on the design.  If, however, performance is superb, the car will be hailed as a design breakthrough which introduced a new niche.