Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera - Official Pictures & Specs

Stuttgart. Roughly nine months before the actual market launch, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has released the first official photos of the Panamera in its final look. In its design, profile and silhouette, Porsche’s unique four-seater stands out clearly as a new member of the Porsche family. Conceived and designed as a four-door grand touring sports car, the Panamera combines numerous talents in typical Porsche style: sporting driving dynamics, a generous and variable interior, and the supreme driving comfort of a Gran Turismo. Joining the 911, Boxster and Cayman sports cars as well as the sporty SUV Cayenne, the Panamera is Porsche’s fourth model series.

The designers of the Panamera have succeeded in positioning this unique car as a brand-new and truly different model while nevertheless retaining the looks of a typical Porsche. Through its proportions alone, the Panamera stands out clearly in its market segment: measuring 1931 millimetres or 76.0 inches in width, the Panamera is wider, and measuring 1418 millimetres or 55.8 inches in height, lower than comparable four-door models. The unmistakable, sleek GT silhouette is created by the car’s overall length of 4970 millimetres or 195.7 inches and short, sporting overhangs front and rear. In its styling and details, the Panamera follows the design philosophy refined over decades on the 911 and successfully implemented also on the Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne.

Through its design language alone, the Panamera will establish a new segment versus the competition. The symbiosis of sports car DNA derived from the looks of a coupé, the unique interpretation of the classical saloon body and the benefits of a variable space concept give the new Porsche its truly unmistakable appearance. As an example, the Panamera comes with highly individual, strongly contoured air intakes instead of a conventional radiator grille. Striking wheel arches and the long and sleek engine compartment lid create that typical 911 “landscape” at the front end of the car the Porsche customer has appreciated for no less than 45 years, with the distinctly contoured wings as flanks bordering on the flat front lid. The V-shaped seams along the engine compartment lid and the rear window tapering out like an arrow to the rear convey the features characteristic of a sports car to the new, highly individual Panamera class. The striking, muscular shoulders over the rear wheels, the dynamic sweep of the coupé-like roofline, and the visible tailpipes again bear out all the DNA so typical of a thoroughbred Porsche.

The elegant roof arch extends stylishly over the generous interior, simply begging the beholder to get inside. Like all Porsche models, the Panamera is oriented in every respect to the needs and wishes of the driver. But now, thanks to the new concept of space and the sporting architecture of the interior, the car’s occupants are also able to experience this special “pilot feeling” on all four seats. All four occupants enjoy supreme ergonomic comfort on both the front seats and the two firmly contoured single seats at the rear. The luggage compartment easily takes up all the passengers’ luggage. The variable space concept with its folding rear seat backrests enables the driver and passengers to adjust the luggage space individually to their personal requirements. And last but not least, the coupé tailgate in the sporting rear end combines superior suitability for daily use with stylish elegance.

Porsche has developed superior and up-to-date power units for the Panamera again reflecting all the qualities typical of the brand – the V-engines within the engine compartment come with six and eight cylinders and range in power from 300 to 500 bhp. Some of the engines use turbocharger technology, Direct Fuel Injection making them both fuel-efficient and powerful all in one. The flow of power to the wheels goes either through a manual six-speed gearbox or the new seven-speed Double-Clutch Gearbox, the so called Porsche-Doppelkupplung (PDK).
    In addition to sporting rear-wheel drive, the top version of the Panamera comes with even more sophisticated all-wheel drive, which is also available for the other versions as an option. As a further highlight, Porsche is preparing a particularly fuel-efficient version of the Panamera with hybrid drive. Further details on the engines, transmissions, performance, prices and equipment will be disclosed next spring.

The Porsche Panamera will be built at Porsche’s Leipzig Plant, where a production hall measuring some 22,000 square metres or almost 237,000 square feet and a logistics centre are currently under construction. While the engines featured in the Panamera are built at Porsche’s Main Plant in Zuffenhausen, the painted bodyshells will be supplied by the Volkswagen Plant in Hanover. The Leipzig Plant will then assemble the Panamera for final delivery, with an annual sales target of some 20,000 units. Porsche is once again cooperating largely with German suppliers in the production of the Panamera, with some 70 per cent of the car’s overall value being created domestically. Hence, the Panamera is most definitely a car “Made in Germany”.

The Panamera will be making its world debut in spring 2009 and the first models will be at dealers worldwide in late summer of next year.
    --
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: Panamera - Official Pictures & Specs

Some of you may ask why the prices and interior shots are missing: it is pretty simple. They haven't been "finalized" yet. Due to the current financial situation around the world, Porsche apparently needs time to adapt the standard  & optional features and maybe even the prices to the current world financial situation, so the Panamera doesn't become a failure.

Something which is actually good news for potential customers... Smiley

More car for the buck, I love it(if Posche is clever enough to make it happen).

I also like it that they seem to be realistic and rational regarding their estimated sales figures. 20000 Panamera per year sounds credible to me because there were figures of 50000 Panamera floating around the rumor mill a while ago.
    --
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Visually:

I like.... ...  ... ... the brakes...

I dislike the rest Smiley

Sorry Porsche.

I am reminded of Clarkson's Cayenne review on TopGear...

I have seen more attractive gangrenous wounds than this. It is a monkfish among cars. It has the sex appeal of a camel with gingivitis and frankly i would rather walk back to the studio than drive another yard in it

--

Click for bigger picture!

I like the wheels, the brakes, the front apron, the front seats and the door handles!

IMO this car is sadly a hideous monstrosity. It's as ugly as I was fearing it could be. We have been reduced to picking out bits that we like from the overall totality which we don't like.

--
    997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection: I love this car!!!

easy_rider911:

IMO this car is sadly a hideous monstrosity. It's as ugly as I was fearing it could be. We have been reduced to picking out bits that we like from the overall totality which we don't like.

Exactly.  This simultaneously saddens me and angers me.  Why are Porsche so good at engines/chassis but so AWFUL at design. 

It looks like a $10,000 Japanese sedan to me, and the essay's worth of writing on the back of the car is there to try and convince you otherwise.

--

I really like it, and the more I see it (especially this blue car) the more I like it.

Also - I think this car is going to be even better in the flesh. It is really wide and low which will give it a superb stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caEtURDic1A

Omigod, I swear I am starting to like it.  The first side view (in another thread) really threw me off, especially the apparent front/rear disproportion.  But I think the direct side view may distort the overall 3-D look of the car, since I think the front/rear and angled views are attractive. 

Also, as I read the press release accompanying the official pics above, I began to appreciate that Porsche is really not making a four door saloon, but more of a large sports car with the characteristics of a 911 (use of inside space, view outward, the focus on the driving experience and passenger experience).  I began to focus less on design, and more on function/driving aesthetics first with design to follow.  I thought of how, if Porsche were to introduce the 997 FL as the very first new model today, how it would be ridiculed for its shape and design.  It is much like the Cayenne, which really introduced the concept of a true SPORT utility vehicle (as opposed to a luxurious utility vehicle).  The Panamera, one could argue from Porsche's standpoint, is  introducing a true sports four door sedan, not a four door sedan with a lot of power (DB9, Maserati, BMW, etc.).  This sports focus will certainly be enhanced with the rear spoiler, and--dare I say it--the rear hatchback design which eliminates the design extension of a more rectangular trunk space.

Of course much will depend on performance.  If it is lackluster or indistinguishable from its competition, focus will remain on the design.  If, however, performance is superb, the car will be hailed as a design breakthrough which introduced a new niche.

Alex_997TT:

Visually:

I like.... ...  ... ... the brakes...

I dislike the rest Smiley

Sorry Porsche.

I am reminded of Clarkson's Cayenne review on TopGear...

I have seen more attractive gangrenous wounds than this. It is a monkfish among cars. It has the sex appeal of a camel with gingivitis and frankly i would rather walk back to the studio than drive another yard in it

Alex, you are wrong! Have a look at the short videos on the porsche.com microsite to get a 3-dimensional impression of the car.

Very clean shape, very unique amongst the typical 3-volume limousines and very Porsche.

If you can put up with the ugly detailing and the non-coherent design of the 997 Turbo, I am surprised you find the Panamera ugly!

As to the big wan**r-cum-jester Clarkson, he should eat his words and his balls when he sees how many Cayennes circulate around the world.

Yes, I have seen the videos.  Most footage is taken at dusk and the car is hiding in the shadows of tunnels!!

Sure the 911 Turbo at some angles is a bit of a quazimodo with parts sticking out where they shouldn't, but the Panamera makes me physically nauseous when I look at it from ANY angle.

The reason the Cayenne has sold so well is that it is a very good car DESPITE it's looks.  I am sure this will be the same for the Panamera.  I personally wouldn't have one if Porsche were offering them out for free!

Where are the design team that put together the Carrera GT is what I want to know?!

--

LED head lights

Alex, I was referring to a a video with a silvery car in full daylight, on the microsite http://www.porsche.com/microsite/panamera/germany.aspx

Anyway, you convinced me this car is not for you! Smiley

Wonderbar:

Omigod, I swear I am starting to like it.  The first side view (in another thread) really threw me off, especially the apparent front/rear disproportion.  But I think the direct side view may distort the overall 3-D look of the car, since I think the front/rear and angled views are attractive. 

Also, as I read the press release accompanying the official pics above, I began to appreciate that Porsche is really not making a four door saloon, but more of a large sports car with the characteristics of a 911 (use of inside space, view outward, the focus on the driving experience and passenger experience).  I began to focus less on design, and more on function/driving aesthetics first with design to follow.  I thought of how, if Porsche were to introduce the 997 FL as the very first new model today, how it would be ridiculed for its shape and design.  It is much like the Cayenne, which really introduced the concept of a true SPORT utility vehicle (as opposed to a luxurious utility vehicle).  The Panamera, one could argue from Porsche's standpoint, is  introducing a true sports four door sedan, not a four door sedan with a lot of power (DB9, Maserati, BMW, etc.).  This sports focus will certainly be enhanced with the rear spoiler, and--dare I say it--the rear hatchback design which eliminates the design extension of a more rectangular trunk space.

Of course much will depend on performance.  If it is lackluster or indistinguishable from its competition, focus will remain on the design.  If, however, performance is superb, the car will be hailed as a design breakthrough which introduced a new niche.

What you write makes a lot of sense!

From these 2 pics we can envisage how the detailing (curves and creases and impact of lighting elements) of the rear design will look in real life.

IMO this is a unique and pleasingly unusual aspect of the overall design, that cannot be appreciated in pics of single-dimensional views. 

I like the car the way it looks. I think is very Porsche design wise, has the lines and volumes of a real Porsche, and a lot of the comments are still made because of the inertia still from the camo cars. After we will see the car in real many will change their opinons.
    --
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

I saw the car live and I'm still not a believer. The rear is what I have a problem with, it somehow doesn't fit a limousine of this size. The Mercedes CLS is more streamlined, the proportions are practically perfect. Maybe Porsche wanted (intentionally) to create some sort of "rubbing point" with the rear, so the car doesn't get boring. I still think that the rear isn't a design masterpiece, things have been rushed. I remember that there were three variants of the Panamera design to "choose" from, and although I have to admit that the Panamera looks very special, the rear looks somehow, I don't know, like a big fat butt. Smiley
    --

I have to say that I still am not a fan. BUT, this Panamera could be new Citroen DS of modern days... Porsche is indeed very, very brave with this design.

RC:
    I saw the car live and I'm still not a believer. The rear is what I have a problem with, it somehow doesn't fit a limousine of this size. The Mercedes CLS is more streamlined, the proportions are practically perfect. Maybe Porsche wanted (intentionally) to create some sort of "rubbing point" with the rear, so the car doesn't get boring. I still think that the rear isn't a design masterpiece, things have been rushed. I remember that there were three variants of the Panamera design to "choose" from, and although I have to admit that the Panamera looks very special, the rear looks somehow, I don't know, like a big fat butt. Smiley
    --

You have to understand that this is Porsche's only "sedan" so they had to design something that stream lined but yet practical. The CLS is super gorgeous but the rear is no place for a man taller than 180cm. Porsche's aim with the Panamera was to blend sport and practicality, hence the huge rear to provide ample room as well as semi-generous boot. Mercedes on the other thand has more liberty with the CLS since they have the E and S-class to counter its mediorcre  practicality.

Unlike the CLS and Rapide the Panamera isn't a vanity four door car. This one can actually be used day in and day out like any normal car transporting four adults comfortably. 

RC:
    --

RC, IMO it is wrong to try to break down an object in small pieces of design and view each one in isolation and try to find weaknesses.

It is the overall impression that counts and I think it is positive. I see this car as overall unique and special and one  that will not pass next to you and go unnoticed or mistaken for something else. Sometimes from a distance I mistake the various models of M-Bs or Audi for example

It is the same with human beings. You are attracted to the overall appearance of someone, although one or more of her individual facial or body features might not be perfect in isolation. 

I also saw the car "in flesh" ...... and I like it. Obviously the rear is a bit controversial and that's the bit I like the least.

What I didn't like is the brand name. It could be deleted at "no cost" (thank you !!!!), it was a specific request from Emerging Markets customers ... that want to make sure people following them can see they drive an expensive Porsche.

Rear seats have plenty of headroom. They say, it is similar to the 7-Series or S-Class. The "benchmark" was that Dr Wiedeking could comfortably seat in the rear ....

Trunk is not huge but it's OK.   

as a self-confessed Panamera "hater," I have to say I am only about 2-3 weeks from actually liking it. That is pretty good compared to the 2-3 years it took me to tolerate the Cayenne, and 5-6 years until I became a Cayenne owner!

I agree with others in that adding the dynamics of lighting and motion in 3-D make the car less revolting than when looking at it as a 2-D study. At this rate I will probably buy one next year. 

--

track vid

0-300kph

chasing a 997GT2

When we told people more than a year ago that the Panamera will have S-class/7series size, they didn't believe us. They still believed that BMW 5series size fairytale. Smiley 

The badge on the rear with the classic Porsche name and the long Panamera model type designation is horrible, same as with the Cayenne. The first thing I did on our Cayenne Turbo S was to remove the lettering from the rear. So ugly.

The hybrid is a good idea, I already see many customers (like myself Smiley for example) who buy a Panamera Turbo but put the Hybrid badge on the rear. Smiley

I also have good news for Panamera Turbo customers: apparently Porsche also plans to offer a powerkit for the Turbo, rumored HP output is 540 to 550 HP.

Top speed of the Turbo version exceeds 300 kph, the Powerkit version will be faster than the current 997 Turbo.

--

In the picture from above with the doors opened, it can be seen that the doors are really as thick  it seemed form the spy pics. No cocoon whatsoever, just massive doors... :-P

(See the contourlines at the rear of the doorwell)

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

reginos:
    RC:
    --

RC, IMO it is wrong to try to break down an object in small pieces of design and view each one in isolation and try to find weaknesses.

It is the overall impression that counts and I think it is positive. I see this car as overall unique and special and one  that will not pass next to you and go unnoticed or mistaken for something else. Sometimes from a distance I mistake the various models of M-Bs or Audi for example

It is the same with human beings. You are attracted to the overall appearance of someone, although one or more of her individual facial or body features might not be perfect in isolation. 

I think the real reason for creating this "butt" is the rumored Coupe. Believe it or not but if it is coming, I think it doesn't get the same rear to avoid too much similarity with the 911.

Time will tell.

The only question remaining now is: how much will Porsche charge for the Panamera?

I'm afraid the V6 starts at 70000 EUR and the Turbo at 130000 EUR(incl. 19% german VAT).

For example: a BMW 750i (new F01) starts at around 90000 EUR incl. 19% german VAT, a huge difference compared to the Panamera Turbo (which of course has 500 HP but anyway).

If Porsche wants to sell the Panamera, they also need to offer current Cayenne owners a way to switch over, like a special lease offer or a special used Cayenne take-in. I doubt it will happen though, Porsche isn't too keen to loose Cayenne customers to the Panamera.

On the other hand Porsche has to realize that many current Cayenne owners may switch to another brand if they don't offer them an easy way out. After taking a look at CR's new 7series yesterday, I really have to say that I'm impressed. At a 90000 EUR entry price tag, you get the hell of a car for your money.

--

Yes, I noticed that Joost. 

Also- In the other pictures, one can also see the thickness of the A and B pillars. (that was also part of the cacoon theory)

me likey.....it looks different than the rest of the 4 door saloons.

the front is a bit corvette though.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I was wrong and my 'cocoon theory' proved to be a failure . If I annoyed some of you , here my appology .

Misha

Hey Misha! No need to apologize. You had your theory and it didn't work out. So what? No biggie! We all have theories here, and some will work out and other wont. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM