Quote:
Carlos from Spain said:
Interesting read thanks

You can mod a Viper and get the same power and acceleration for much less... a car is more than straight line acceleration, so what good is a 1000HP if its an overweight pig?... asnwer: childish remarks from some reporters who get a kick from starighline acceleration only, and bragging rights for the owners.

Sorry but I have to disagree; the Bugatti does not want to compete with other cars on the Nürburgring at all. nor does it want to compete with an Nox powered Lingenfelter Corvette or Viper in the straight line.
what it does is just - but no less - making a statement on what is technologically doable nowadays. In concept it is similar to the Bentley GT. heavy but fast and extremely refined. It's the classical car no normal carproducer/manager would dare to produce (he'd loose his job rightaway) but only someone in the position (now 20% ownership in VW) and with the curriculum like Piech (porsche 917, audi quattro, W engine and 3L car to name a few) can pull off. knowing people who worked heavily on that car from the suppliers side, I have been assured that this is the technologically most complex machine around by far (including the yet to come 997tt!). It is admittedly perfectly useless, but so is a Global Express. it's a very bold statement and a car conceived by a dreamer. and therefore it gets my thumbs up.