Porsche-Jeck:

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to do some 400 km (half Autobahn, half winding mountain b-roads) behind the wheel of a 718 2.0. Porsche did a great job again in finetuning the suspension (PASM) and steering: more feedback compared to the 981 and excellent roadholding at topspeed. While the engine is powerful enough for a canyon carver and even climbs up to 275 km/h on the Autobahn rather quickly (for a 4-pot turbo astonishing push at high rpm all the way up to redline) the "character" of the engine (or lack thereof...) does not fit the car at all IMHO and definitely "cheapens" the Boxster driving experience (as described in the top gear report on the car). To me the engine feels like a rumbling rough thing compared to the silky smooth 6-flat NA and does not belong into a Porsche commanding a premium price (sticker price was 78 kEUR with partial leather and standard seats). And this is even before taking the "sound" into consideration. Comment from Mrs. PJ: "whoever said this car sounds like a Beetle is insulting the Beetle" Smiley The PSE makes it only louder but not nicer SmileyI never thought that a "wrong" engine can spoil the driving experience so much in an otherwise great and lovely car Smiley

I'd agree Achim having driven both versions of the car at Silverstone. The S version sounds even worse than the 2.0 Smiley and the new engines comprehensively ruin what otherwise would be a significant improvement over 981. It is priced crazily, but amazingly I have seen quite a few 718 on the roads in Southern England.

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive