Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera S - Carrera 4S comparison picture

Can you spot the difference?

Re: Carrera S - Carrera 4S comparison picture

I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE

One is silver and the other is grey.

I can see the slightest difference.
    What color is that 4s? it looks great on this picture!

Nice compasison Temm

You see the difference especially in the distance along the line (sulcus) that goes from the rear light edge to the rear wheel arch. And also in the angle of the hip post and anteriorly. Not something you would notice unless you were searching for it specifically IMO. Not like the 996 narrow vs wide body that really looks noticeable.

The only difference is that one has a 4 on the trunk lid and the color.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Nice compasison Temm

You see the difference especially in the distance along the line (sulcus) that goes from the rear light edge to the rear wheel arch. And also in the angle of the hip post and anteriorly. Not something you would notice unless you were searching for it specifically IMO. Not like the 996 narrow vs wide body that really looks noticeable.

Carlos,
    RE: the distance in the fender line. Is this what you mean ? Be kind please it is my very first attempt at modifying a pic in any way.

The difference is really that tiny (at least in pics), that I wonder why Porsche even changed the rear fenders at all?

you know, i think this is a case of "don't fix what aint broken!"

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Nice compasison Temm

Carlos,
    RE: the distance in the fender line. Is this what you mean ? Be kind please it is my very first attempt at modifying a pic in any way.

Thats exactly it Stradale. It shows perfectly with the white line you drew. Thats the quickest way I see of differentiating them.

However if you don't have the other one next to it, it would be a tough call to tell if its C4S or just C2S. I'm really curious if the difference is this small in real life too, I would think its more apparent

Ok guys!!!!!, I might be confussed or jumped a thread related with the C4S..

But the main differences of a C4S to a base carrera are the slight wide body(from turbo as everybody knows), which looks really good, the front bumper of the turbo, those lateral airvents in the rear bumper, the exhaust pipes of the turbo AND probably the main characteristic that made the C4S a beauty was the red stripe in the rear, a perfect touch IMO...

But seeing these pics of the new 997C4S this red stripe is not present....IS THIS WHAT PORSCHE HAS DONE TO THE NEW C4S???? , if yes...Porsche has commited a serious error..Ok it is a bit wider than the 997carrera and s, but cammon that red stripe was vital for the C4S,,,,so just wanted to know if this ARE THE REAL OFFICIAL PICS of the 4S or not

If they are I'll be dissapointed

Isn't it true that by focusing on these cosmetic differences one misses the main point of the C4S; it has wider tires combined with AWD and can therefore be driven in circumstances where the traction is less than perfect?

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Ok guys!!!!!, I might be confussed or jumped a thread related with the C4S..

But the main differences of a C4S to a base carrera are the slight wide body(from turbo as everybody knows), which looks really good, the front bumper of the turbo, those lateral airvents in the rear bumper, the exhaust pipes of the turbo AND probably the main characteristic that made the C4S a beauty was the red stripe in the rear, a perfect touch IMO...

But seeing these pics of the new 997C4S this red stripe is not present....IS THIS WHAT PORSCHE HAS DONE TO THE NEW C4S???? , if yes...Porsche has commited a serious error..Ok it is a bit wider than the 997carrera and s, but cammon that red stripe was vital for the C4S,,,,so just wanted to know if this ARE THE REAL OFFICIAL PICS of the 4S or not

If they are I'll be dissapointed

Yes official pics, and No, no red stripes.
    Perfect for me.
    I'm one of those who really didn't like the red stripe, cheap!
    As I wrote before, very nice on old air cooled models where the red stripes belonged to one line and much lower on the car body but on the 996, it really looked like a cheap add on.

they should bring back the red strip with "porsche" etched into it - like the 993 - now that would be cool.

... well in an '80s way at least.

Quote:
    NM said:

Exaclty NM!
    Which is why it looks so cheap today and tacky!
    I mean, come on guys, Don Johnson with his white testarossa!!!! Same stuff!

Quote:
    NM said:
    they should bring back the red strip with "porsche" etched into it - like the 993 - now that would be cool.

It started in 1974 with the red strip. So should it be a 70's thing?

Another comparison. I did my best to impose both pictures on top of each other C2 and C4S, Since C2 and C2S have the same body this picture was the only one that had the same pose as the C4 S.

The left and right sides that are blury are showing a wider hip, hope it helps.

Quote:
    Men007 said:
    Isn't it true that by focusing on these cosmetic differences one misses the main point of the C4S; it has wider tires combined with AWD and can therefore be driven in circumstances where the traction is less than perfect?

Men007, my main point was the red stripe... I know I left some other features of the car...my dad had one, not say that its my favourite 996, therefore I know everything (well may be 99% )...and for me was special because of the wider body and ALSO for the red stripe!! .
    its only my opinion though

Well may be I change my mind when seeing the 4S in real, but now I am a bit dissapointed

Nice comparison Ron!!!!

But at first eye it seems a 997 or 997S, only rennteamers will be capable of differencing them, if this is the real 4S

Yup. I see what you mean. I didn't catch that before from the pic.

IMHO The general public will probably not be able to tell the difference in real life. (Except for the model des. on the trunk of course)

Car buffs (especially Porsche fans) will probably be able to spot the difference easily CLOSE-UP. I don't think even car buffs will be able to identify one from the other driving by.......... There's parts of that I like and not others.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Another comparison. I did my best to impose both pictures on top of each other C2 and C4S, Since C2 and C2S have the same body this picture was the only one that had the same pose as the C4 S.

That's AMAZING.

Quote:
    Men007 said:

AWD obviously helps in wet or snow but wider tires actually hurt performance in the snow. Wider tires behave somewhat like snow shoes. The wider the tire the greater chance it has of supporting the weight of the car on top of the snow instead of cutting through the snow into the pavement. Slimmer tires have a better chance of getting passed the snow to grip pavemnet then wide tires.

This is my point exactly. Unless people REALLY need the 4WD system, they should stick with the Carrera S instead.
    Advantage: lower price tag, lower weight, better performance. If I have problems to tell the difference, "ordinary" people will never tell the difference. So why going for the C4S? Right: the 4WD. And maybe the 305 rear tires which, I'm pretty sure about it, will be available for the Carrera S too sooner or later.

I'm still waiting to hear more about the much talked about Turbolook rumour. Maybe we should wait for the 997 Turbo introduction first...

umm, how come the rear window in the C4S appears longer than in the C2S?

Unfortunately the images are not the same size ..

The upper image is slightly smaller than the lower one.
    That makes it impossible to accurately compare measurements.
    Look at the front of the 2wd car against the front of the 4.
    The backs of both cars are in line vertically but not the fronts.

Quote:
    RC said:
    This is my point exactly. Unless people REALLY need the 4WD system, they should stick with the Carrera S instead.
    Advantage: lower price tag, lower weight, better performance. If I have problems to tell the difference, "ordinary" people will never tell the difference. So why going for the C4S? Right: the 4WD. And maybe the 305 rear tires which, I'm pretty sure about it, will be available for the Carrera S too sooner or later.

Very well said RC! But IMHO no-one really needs 305 rear tyres on a 355 hp car, no-one.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Nice one Ron, that's a great way to compare them

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Yes official pics, and No, no red stripes.
    Perfect for me.
    I'm one of those who really didn't like the red stripe, cheap!
    As I wrote before, very nice on old air cooled models where the red stripes belonged to one line and much lower on the car body but on the 996, it really looked like a cheap add on.

I agree, I don't like the red stripe on the 996 C4S either.
    I think the 996 Turbo looks a lot better from behind, since it doesn't have the red stripe. It somehow looks much wider without it.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Can you spot the difference?

I am sceptical a little bit what these pictures concerns. The photographer has exposed the cars differently. The Reflektionen look a little bit different. However, after all, I agree with most. No one sees appreciable difference in these pictures and if it is "hard" for us then I don't think, that a layman might not see any differences.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

However if you don't have the other one next to it, it would be a tough call to tell if its C4S or just C2S. I'm really curious if the difference is this small in real life too, I would think its more apparent

I think it will be hard to tell that the 997 C4S is wider unless you are directly behind it.

Another thing - the 997 C4S (1852 mm) is 22 mm wider than the 996 C4S (1830 mm), which in turn is 22 mm wider than the Carrera S (1808 mm).
    Is it a coincindence that the difference is 22 mm in both cases or is there a reason behind it?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802493 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448325 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89889 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6368 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885263 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831775 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM