Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New C4 and C4S - check our NEWS

Please comment on the new C4 and C4S. How do you like them?
    What do you think about these models?
    We would like to hear especially from current 996 C4S owners and potential C4/C4S customers.
    A little note: if you don't like the 997 at all, don't bother to post your comment. We're really interested in honest comments from people who own a Porsche 911 and/or who want to buy one in the near future. Thanks.

Re: New C4 and C4S - check our NEWS

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. My mind was kinda set up. It was going to be a 997 C4S Cabrio with about the same options as the initial 997 S Cabrio. But I did expect a slightly different front, 381HP and perhaps some subtle C4S'ish accent on the back trunk.
    Right now it simple comes down to what will appeal more to me after I have driven a 996 C4S and a 997 S. My current car is a 365HP Boxster so perhaps I will feel better with a RWD. I dunno.
    It seems it might be better to go for the S after all and personalize it with some nice after market details from Tech-Art or Rinspeed.
    Will go to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can give me any other info. Altho I doubt there will be much more to say.

A front bumper like the one below would have been great (anyone knows which company designed this btw?):

You could order the Aerokit for the 997, check older threads for pictures.
    Here is a little comparison 997 C4S vs. 996 C4S. I didn't find a picture from the same angle but I think it gives a pretty good idea.

Rc ..sorry ....but for me this picture is a "mistake" .
    In that picture there is a 911 (997) Carrera 4 S version (355 hp) and a 911 (996) turbolook (called 4S).
    I'm sure that after the 997 Turbo ,Porsche will make a "turbolook" like the "old" 996 4s .
    Porsche buit : 996 carrera and 996 carrera 4
    now P builds : 997 carrera (and the S version) and 997 carrera 4 (and 4S version) .

but what is mostly unbelievable is that P. decided to wide the rear of 997S to make the two model different between each other ...but nobody will notice this because they look the same .

ciaaoooo

the best choice for me remains 997S -20 PCCB ---like our twins ....

As good as I could scale it.

From the photos the changes are subtle enough as to be indistinguishable from a C2, C2S (just as well that there's a badge on the back).....I had anticipated the resale value of the C2S to take a bit of a hit once the C4S came out.....I' don't think that will be the case....from a personal point of view I would have considered a C4S if it had been differentiated the way we all expected. As it currently stands I prefer my C2S....Living in CA I don't have dodgy weather to contend with (although it is raining today ) I find the C2S has mountains of grip, so for me AWD and extra weight are not a compelling story.....I'm really surprised the car doesn't have some additional styling cues. I'm sure it will be excellant, but it just feels like Xmas day, when the gift you really wanted isn't the one you got

I think the 996 C4S look a lot more interesting with the louvres and the reflector strip. But I'm sure the 997 C4/S will be an outstanding car in its own right.

Personally I can't stand the feel of AWD.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    From the photos the changes are subtle enough as to be indistinguishable from a C2, C2S (just as well that there's a badge on the back).....I had anticipated the resale value of the C2S to take a bit of a hit once the C4S came out.....I' don't think that will be the case....from a personal point of view I would have considered a C4S if it had been differentiated the way we all expected. As it currently stands I prefer my C2S....Living in CA I don't have dodgy weather to contend with (although it is raining today ) I find the C2S has mountains of grip, so for me AWD and extra weight are not a compelling story.....I'm really surprised the car doesn't have some additional styling cues. I'm sure it will be excellant, but it just feels like Xmas day, when the gift you really wanted isn't the one you got

I agree. Personally I wouldn't feel the need to pay an extra $10K for it. I'm very satisfied with the C2S. Of course this is a personal opinion.

Quote:
    Rami said:
    I honestly don't know what to do at this point. My mind was kinda set up. It was going to be a 997 C4S Cabrio with about the same options as the initial 997 S Cabrio. But I did expect a slightly different front, 381HP and perhaps some subtle C4S'ish accent on the back trunk.
    Right now it simple comes down to what will appeal more to me after I have driven a 996 C4S and a 997 S. My current car is a 365HP Boxster so perhaps I will feel better with a RWD. I dunno.
    It seems it might be better to go for the S after all and personalize it with some nice after market details from Tech-Art or Rinspeed.
    Will go to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can give me any other info. Altho I doubt there will be much more to say.

A front bumper like the one below would have been great (anyone knows which company designed this btw?):

I think that front bumper is Enco Exclusive, Check www.enco-exclusive.de
    I really like that front bumper, it really gives a little CGT-edge to the car.

I guess my view probably won't agree with most But... (You asked!!)..

I never really liked the 996 4S. I think those vents in the rear bumper date the car. And I am glad they didn't put them onto the 997. As for the rest of the car, I quite like the 997. I am glad they haven't carried any of the old 996 4s/turbo features over.

The extra 44mm looks so slight on the pictures (then again, the standard 997's rear end looks so much better in the flesh that in pics), that I am happy that with my order having been placed for a 997S (Rather have the aerokit, then spend the extra money on 4wd and a fat arse)

More to the point, I didn't really expect much other than this. As we know, the last C4S was aesthetically a turbo, without the turbo. The likelihood of this happening here was about nil. As Porsche have proved. (Maybe it will happen when the turbo has been released?)

But, Porsche know, that there are so many people out there waiting for a C4s, it wouldn't have made sense to release a 'turbo look' car. As it would have to be after the release of the turbo. And they want sales!

So, all in all quite glad really. Hell, if i had looked stunning (and made the standard S look weak), I'd have had to move my deposit to a 4S instead. And I can't wait any longer. The 9 month wait I have is long enough!! I wonder if this will cause 997S waits to increase or drop?

Just my opinion!

...Add

Porsche's decision to widen the rear fenders of the C4/4s cars doesn't make any sense to me. In a form-follows-function sense, shouldn't the awd 997s need *less* rear tire than their 2wd counterparts, now that the front tires are doing more of the work? Widening the rear fenders of these cars is silly, IMO. It's like they puffed up the 997 for better mating prospects (perhaps this is what the buyers are hoping for).

It's worth stating my bias, though. I'm only for wide rear fenders and tires when they are *needed* for performance reasons, which is why I've never been a huge fan of the 993 c2s, nor any of the c4s variants. I bought my C2 new in the US in '03, and would have bought a C4 (narrow body) had they been available.

Quote:
    RC said:
    We would like to hear especially from current 996 C4S owners and potential C4/C4S customers.
    A little note: if you don't like the 997 at all, don't bother to post your comment. We're really interested in honest comments from people who own a Porsche 911 and/or who want to buy one in the near future. Thanks.

IMHO the C4/C4S is somehow neither fish nor flesh.

Etiher the price increase of more than 7k Euro for AWD is too much for what you get or the changes are too subtle for this extra money.

Fact is, the 997/S is a very, very good car, nearly perfect. Great design (I never really liked the 996, so I like the retro styling of the 997), nice interior, good power. Of cource you can always argue about a little bit more power or less plastic inside, but overall I really like the 997/S. Also very important, that due to PASM you have a very stable, safe handling, even with only 2WD.

So if the C4/S gets only a 44mm wider body, which you can hardly recognize - at least in the pictures - and has an identical power output, I wonder if it's worth to spend more than 7 grand only for AWD. In my opinion it's not. For that money Porsche could have spent it a more distinguishable design or/and more power. But the way the the C4/S looks now, I would pay no more than 4k.

For me I would only consider the C4S if I lived in a region with regular and massive snowfalls - perhaps.

I haven't seen the C4 or C4S in person yet, but I do not see the 44mm increase in width or the AWD system to be a "must have" feature. Frankly the proportions of the 2WD cars look perfect to me. But seeing the car myself is always necessary for a final opinion.

I do think that there should be a little more detail added to the rear, as it seeems that there is a lot of sheetmetal without anything to hold one's eye.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    sergini said:
    Rc ..sorry ....but for me this picture is a "mistake" .
    In that picture there is a 911 (997) Carrera 4 S version (355 hp) and a 911 (996) turbolook (called 4S).
    I'm sure that after the 997 Turbo ,Porsche will make a "turbolook" like the "old" 996 4s .
    Porsche buit : 996 carrera and 996 carrera 4
    now P builds : 997 carrera (and the S version) and 997 carrera 4 (and 4S version) .

but what is mostly unbelievable is that P. decided to wide the rear of 997S to make the two model different between each other ...but nobody will notice this because they look the same .

ciaaoooo

the best choice for me remains 997S -20 PCCB ---like our twins ....

You are all asking for a turbo look. Have you ever asked the persons who gives 35.000 Euro more for the turbo if they like that a much cheaper car looks the same. As I had have my 996tt sometimes I didn't like to see a 996 4S and thinking "oh it is a 996 tt".

For the turbo drivers it is better the car is something different. For 7000 Euro you get AWD, wider tires and 44 mm wider body shouldn't this be enough.

Later there is a possibility to get 26 hp and ceramic brakes in a sports set for 12.000 Euro extra.

AM

Quote:
    RC said:

Comments are mostly negative IMHO bc as one of our members pointed out, most of us were wrongly expecting a 4WD turbolook Carrera.

The Carrera 4 is what it is, a Carrera with 4WD, just like 993 gen. and 996 gen.

This time, because there is 2 versions of the Carrera, Porsche throws in a bit of hips to help make the distinction even more, for the purists among us, it's negative, adds weight and drag but for the general clientele, this is awesome (cf huge success of the 996 C4S compared to the 996 C4!)

I personally like it, it does what it says on the box (it's a Carrera plus 4WD!!!) plus the extra hips which is fine because if you want the purest drive, you'd opt of the C2 or C2S anyway!

What about you RC?
    What is your opinion on this car?

I have a 997S and am considering a move to the C4S because of the lousy winters here in NY. It's a bummer about the price increse, but on the other hand if it lets me drive 11 months of the year instead of 8 or 9 then perhaps it's worth it. Especially as performance doesn't seem to have suffered (apart from top speed).

As for the 996 C4, didn't like the looks - the rear window forms the top of an inverted V that just looks weird to me.

A Porsche 911 is a stunning car. I feel this is true for all models, be it 2 or 4 wheel drive, wide or narrow body. I always thought that the C4S was the most beautiful car in the 996- range. The wide derrière of the car gives it a certain forcefulness that is lacking in the base model. The lines of the C4S are cleaner compared to the 996 Turbo due to the absence of the rear spoiler and the air-intakes. These differences make the term "Turbo-look" nonsense; nobody will mistake a C4S for a Turbo.

I live in a place with a lot of bad weather (Chicago, IL) and I wanted a car I can drive more or less year round ("ein Sportwagen für alle Tage"). The AWD system made a lot of sense to me, under ideal circumstances with traction to spare, the car behaves like a rear-wheel drive but power is transferred to the front when necessary. I don't track the car so I didn't feel the urgent need for the extra horses that come with the Turbo -I do realize that more power is always better than less power-.

I like the round headlights of the 997-range better than the ones on my current car (a 2004 C4S). If I were in the market for a car today and if I were in a hurry, I would give the 997 C4S serious consideration. If I were in the market for a car today and I had some patience, I would wait and see what the final version of 997 Turbo will look like.

Just my 2 cents.

I was hoping to migrate to the 997 C4S but it is almost indistinguishable from my 997 C2S. My C2S performed great during this past winter with the P-Zero winter tires so i don't see the need to move to AWD. I wanted the 'turbo-look' like the 996 C4S but i guess Porsche had something else in mind......

Porsche's decision to make the C4S similar to the C2S saves me $10K and now i don't have to worry about haggling with dealers this summer!!

Rami, check out the TTP website http://www.t-t-p.de they have a front bumper much like the one on your photo.

1) the old 4S gave you a different look and no extra power over the 4, the new one gives you roughly the same look but more power; personally I think that's a good deal

2) as for the Turbo look, i think the 996 4S was a Potemkin village but also the most beautiful 911, retaining the classic shape but looking more aggressive than the standard car. The new one is more 'honest' and more boaring.

3) At the end of the day these cars are about driving pleasure. After driving both the 996 and the 996 4S on the same track I was disappointed with the AWD steering. If the new 4S feels (almost) like the S it would be worth the extra money to me but given the fact that it features the same AWD I have my doubts.

Another "comparison" pic.

The new one looks much better!
    Never liked the cheap red plastic stripe on the 996 4S.
    Very nice on air cooled models, but out of place on the 996.
    Of course, it's totally subjective bc down to looks but I prefer the new one by miles, somehow looks like the lines/hips "flow" better too.

Porsche should've increased width of front fender as well. Then C4S would looked like our old dream super car!

I think either C2 with PASM is the best cost performance choice and C2S is the winner for over all performance. If C4 price is very close to C2 then many people would be happy to buy extra security of all wheel drive. However, I don't want to loose front trunk space and good gas mileage of RWD. lol

997 C4S do look wider than 996 C4S in those pics posted here. Wider front would made the eyes look cuter, I think.

LOVE the size of the rear tires. Definately looks meaner then the 997S.
    Looking from the back with those monster tires all it's missing is a wing to comlete the bad look!
    Bring on the TT

C4's in general seem to track better at hi speed and have less front end dodginess.

My vote would be for a narrow body C4 cab,cockpit adjustable height suspension, with a GT3 400hp engine, the GT3RS sequential gearbox and a extra set rims with studded snow tires.

Fat chance that ever happening!

Designwise the the new 997 4S is very clear, fare more modern than the the 9964S and 110% understatement. (which I like) Saying that, nobody can argue that this 4S is a poser car. What I miss so is the rear red band, which has been always part of the 4S. But perhaps a turbolike model will follow. But you knows, perhaps a change is nice, too. The front is classy, however, could be a little bit more aggresive.( with slightly bigger air inlets )

Deep in my heart I was also hoping that the 4S comes with the X51 kit and the C 4 with the standard 3.8 l engine. Anyhow, acceleration seems to be like the CS2 and this should be enough for american roads.
    Overall, at this stage, it seems a great choice for us and I am really thinking getting a C4S Cab once I am installed in the US.

Currently Seal grey C4S Cab
    CT black

Can we have the C2S with the extra 44mm less the extra $10k please!
    This would make the 997 the true evolution from the 993 for me.

I'm not disppointed with the looks of the 997 C4S but then I never thought the 997 C2S needed an improvement. Let's face it, the 996 C4S was styled the way it was to improve the looks of the 996 which many thought were frumpy - nothing more to it than that. Many who drive Porsche's for status also appreciated the obvious distinction and presumably didn't mind the resemblance to the flagship 911. I sense some of those sentiments surfacing here . . .

I agree with others who have hoped for form to follow function. Was there really a need to widen the hips by 44 mm? I thought the 911 Turbo was wider to accommodate the engine . . .

I do miss the wide rear red reflector, and I wish it were available on all 911's. I think it's just a unique 911 trademark from the "old" days. As has already been suggested, the lines of the body molding do not lend themselves to it on the 997.

Given how great the C2S already is, it seems that Porsche is having a hard time improving.

I'm dissapointed there isn't any further description as to how the new Multiple Disc Viscous coupling changes the drivig dynamics compared to before. Are these discs computer controlled as was in 959? This is the single most important change from 996s that I would like to find out as I am anxiously waiting for 997 Turbo.

Overall, I like it. Would have liked the rear deck lid lengthened to accomadate the strip, would like a more aggressive front bumper, I'd probably buy one, my 996 C4S has been the best, most dependable, daily driving/track driving car that I've ever owned, 30k and going strong!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM