Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Clear Bra

The wait is just about over My 997S Cab (first porsche) should be here within the next few weeks. I have been condersidering the clear bra but have not made a decision yet. I would like some input from those who have the bra and also from those who don't. Is it necessary or just an added cost? Thanks

Re: Clear Bra

If you dont mind getting chips and scratches on the front-end (which will happen within the first 200 mi.) then take a pass.... otherwise it's probably the best investment you could make on your new baby!!!!

I've got the clear-bra. It's a small price to pay, money and aesthetics, for great long-term protection and ease of upkeep. We're just heading into "love bug" season here in Florida. Without the clearbra, I would be washing the nose of my vehicle nightly, struggling to remove the mess without scratching the paint. With the clearbra, my stress-level is much better, knowing that no matter what I do, my paint is safe and as-new underneath.

Quote:
    John MDF OR said:
    The wait is just about over My 997S Cab (first porsche) should be here within the next few weeks. I have been condersidering the clear bra but have not made a decision yet. I would like some input from those who have the bra and also from those who don't. Is it necessary or just an added cost? Thanks

What color are you getting? Some colors can be touched up better than others. I wasn't going to get a clear bra for my artic silver 997S cab, but on the way home from the dealer with my brand new car (15 mile drive) I got my first ding. When I went back to the dealer to buy some touch-up paint I got my second ding. Two dings and less than 200 miles caused me to re-think the bra thing. It is impossible to touch-up artic silver. I looks worse after trying to fix it. I spoke with two detailers and they said metallic silver was the worse to try to touch-up. I had some luck with my guards red cab and touch-up paint (I could make them dings almost disappear with some effort). If you decide to touch-up check at www.langka.com for some stuff that helps.

I did get a clear bra installed. From some angles it is invisible. From other angles you can see it from 10 feet away. The only places you can see it is where it meets the paint. See the attached picture for an example of how visible it is.

I am glad I got it. If at some point I decide I hate it, it is easily removed.

Phil

From this angle you can't see it at all.....

Phil

My clearbra is on black, which shows the edges and every little idiosynchracy of the install when viewed in the right light. So, in a perfect world, I'd rather not have it. But in the REAL world, It's that, or the nose of my car getting constantly waylayed by rocks and bugs. Neither way is perfect, but the clearbra is the better compromise.

My porsche is seal grey metallic w/blk top. Does the clear bra show up more on darker colors or lighter. Is it harder to repair chips on light or dark colors?

Clearbra shows up more on darker colors. Chip repairing has little-to-nothing to do with dark or light colors. FAR MORE CRITICAL is metallic vs. non-metallic paint. Non-metallic paints are much easier to touch-up. Because metallic paints refract light differently depending on the angle of refraction, it's virtually impossible to touch in a chip and not have it look darker or lighter, depending on how the light is hitting the metallic particles with respect to the surrounding perfectly uniform paint. Your touch-up will not lay flat, due to miniscus effect. So it will reflect differenly, and always look a different shade in most lights. You can sand it flat and polish it, but you'll still always detect the transition.

where can the clear bra be found?? local dealers or bodyshops?? and approx. what's the price range? thanks in advance

What are disadvantages of Clear Bra?

I'm not at all familiar with what people experience with this clear bra. All I know is I probably won't get one.

I figure you're gonna get chips and cuts in the clear bra and it's gonna look like chewed up plastic. Then what?

I just learned how to fill chips with touch up paint, use a bowed razor to scrape the touch up level and then polish it with 2000, 4000 6000 (?) sandpapers I have somewhere.

What are the DISadvantages of the clear bra?

Quote:
    aristal said:
    where can the clear bra be found?? local dealers or bodyshops?? and approx. what's the price range? thanks in advance

What part of California are you located? I had mine installed by someone in the Orange County area. You can check them out at http://www.ultimateautocare.com/. It will cost around $650 - $750 for the entire front end and mirrors. There are 3 major brands of plastic film, 3M, Venture or Avery. Each have their advantages. I found Ultimate Auto Care by doing an internet search of authorized installers of 3m Scotchcal paint protection film.

Phil

PS CA, i m located in the bay area. Thanks for the link and i'll def look into it.

Re: What are disadvantages of Clear Bra?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I'm not at all familiar with what people experience with this clear bra. All I know is I probably won't get one.

I figure you're gonna get chips and cuts in the clear bra and it's gonna look like chewed up plastic. Then what?

I just learned how to fill chips with touch up paint, use a bowed razor to scrape the touch up level and then polish it with 2000, 4000 6000 (?) sandpapers I have somewhere.

What are the DISadvantages of the clear bra?

I started off with no plan to buy a clear bra. I felt that dings were just a part of car ownership. After my first chip (which happened on my way home with my new car) I returned to the dealer to buy some touch-up paint. During that trip I got chip #2. I have had good luck touching up dings in the past, but I could not get my color, artic silver, to work at all. It didn't matter if I was able to get the touch-up level, the color never matched. I spoke with 3 detailers and they said it is extremely difficult to sucessfully touch up most metallic paint.

So, I was faced with a future of dings with no reasonable way to cover them up. I opted for the clear bra and I am very happy I did. It is very hard to see and gives me a more secure feeling while driving the car. And unlike paint, when the clear film gets hit by something like a rock, usually there is NO visible damage. So, it is not like you trade clear bra damage for paint damage. The clear bra material is MUCH more resistant to damage than any paint. And if at some point you decide you don't like it, you can just peel it off. If you do that the only damage you will have is to your wallet.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    The clear bra material is MUCH more resistant to damage than any paint.

Phil

Ohhhhhh, THAT makes sense. Hummmm, thanks for the clue Phil.

Hmmmm.

1. Clearbra ($550-750) gets used and abused and peppered, and you eventually peel it off, throw it away, and the car is as-new underneath, OR....

2. Original paint gets used, abused and peppered, and you eventually have to re-spray the entire front of the car, and the mirrors, at a cost of no less than $1,000.

Which option sounds better? Spend less long-term, and save your factory paint, or spend more long-term and deal with color-match, quality and durability of a re-paint??

If my car were an occasional "for fun" car, I'd probably get by without the clearbra. But with it having to take the rigors of daily travel, It's a nice layer of protection.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    2. Original paint gets used, abused and peppered, and you eventually have to re-spray the entire front of the car, and the mirrors, at a cost of no less than $1,000.

repaint the front end of you p-car and expect to lose quite a bit on your eventual sale. I for one would never even consider purchasing a car with the front repainted. Looks like the owner is hiding an accident.

could you post some pics of that bra?

Precisely. There's never an upside to any paint repair. And resprays never have the same adhesion qualities as the original job after the bare-metal acid bath, therefore the resprayed front end will chip and spider-crack FAR EASIER than the original paint did. It's a cycle of diminishing return. Do all you can to take care of the original finish, it pays dividends no matter whether you keep the car forever, or sell it.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    could you post some pics of that bra?

See the beginning of this thread. There are two pictures of my artic silver 997S with a clear bra on the front.

Phil

cant see clearly the bra sorry...........:(

Re: What are advantages of Clear Bra?

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

That is what is so nice about the clear bra. You hope it is difficult to see. In the first picture you can see a line where the bra goes over the fender behind the headlight. Look at the fender next to the side marker light. What you can't see in the picture is that the line continues all the way across the front hood.

Phil

MMD said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    The clear bra material is MUCH more resistant to damage than any paint.

Phil

Ohhhhhh, THAT makes sense. Hummmm, thanks for the clue Phil.

That was kinda mean MMD. Phil answered your question.

Phil,
    I don't think MMD wanted to hear any more about the ADVANTAGES of the clea bra. He changed the title of the thread.

Personally....... The thought of sandpapering a new PORSCHE gives me the heebee geevees "Dohhhh" (said like Hommer Simpson)

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Here is what the kit looks like:

Phil

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

And the rest of the kit..........

Phil

Phil thanx a lot, very nice view now

What are the small pieces near the mirrors? the ones showing down the mirrors

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    Phil thanx a lot, very nice view now

What are the small pieces near the mirrors? the ones showing down the mirrors

I don't know. You can go to http://www.xpel.com/ if you want to check out the available kits.

Phil

Maybe the wheel arches ?

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

That's the point

Cool.

"Our Paint Protection Products are made from 3M Scotchgard(TM) Paint Protection Film which is a rugged eight mil (.008") clear Urethane plastic employing a clear-coat finish for maximum shine. This durable material has been used successfully for years by the military, various auto manufacturers, and NASCAR race teams in rock chip prone areas with incredible results. Never before has a product been invented that provides so much protection with such low visibility.

Our products are so strong that not only are they guaranteed not to yellow, crack or peel for 5 years after installation, they are also covered by an unprecedented 5-year $1,000 Paint Protection Warranty against damage to your vehicle's finish.

Search for Clear Bra Paint Protection Products for your vehicle, or visit one of our certified X-Pel(TM) Dealers, and stop worrying about rock chips!"

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

"X-Pel Headlamp Protection
    Never break an expensive headlight or fog light again!
    With the average cost of replacement head lamps and fog lamps spiraling to nearly $300, it is nice to know that there is a product available to protect your car against the perils of the open road. Our Light Protection Products are made from a proprietary, scratch-resistant, urethane material coupled with the strongest optically clear 3M(TM) adhesive available. Designed for maximum durability, our light covers were originally tested under the harshest of circumstances with amazing results. Both in the real world and in the lab, our covers have proven that they will withstand a barrage of 1" diameter stones (about 1oz.) at speeds up to 120 m.p.h. with no damage to the lens they protect. Though the likelihood of this ever happening to your car in the real world is slim, it is nice to know that your expensive lenses are protected in any scenario. We are so confident in our product that we offer a $1,000 Warranty to leave you with complete peace of mind."
    http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

I initially decided against this, but after hearing everyone's opinions and experiences, I think I will start looking for a dealer to do this as well.

After 5K miles, I recently had a few rock chips repaired by a friend of mine, and yes it is very tough to watch someone wet sand the chip areas on your brand new Porsche. The chip repair ended up fantastic and is not noticeable unless you are looking directly at it, but I could only imagine what the front end will look like after 20K.

Does anyone have any experience pulling the clear bra off? Just wonder if there will be any discoloration with protected and nonprotected paint?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754895 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868835 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802764 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM