Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

ALDO:
    RC:

Just click on the photo and look around...if you don't see it, I'm fine with it. 

997 prices didn't depreciate due to oversupply but because the 991 is such a success and tons of (used) cars are available on the market as well.

you mean the "Erlkönig" under the cover far left in your garage? What is it?

But this is OFF-TOPIC

Good eye. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    .my customer wanted to get a silver/grey one because he doesn't want it to be too flashy (coming from a SL500...), so this will be perfect to show him. Smiley

what is wrong in this statement?

--

AM

ALDO:
    RC:
    .my customer wanted to get a silver/grey one because he doesn't want it to be too flashy (coming from a SL500...), so this will be perfect to show him. Smiley

what is wrong in this statement?

Smiley I think the grey color looks perfect if he wants to fly a bit under the radar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

sorry but a Mclaren in grey is far more flashy then any SL500, so it will be a huge jump for him. I get so much attention - far more then in GT3RS - and mine is white (not so flashy like orange or yellow)

--

AM

RC:
    ALDO:
    RC:

Just click on the photo and look around...if you don't see it, I'm fine with it. 

997 prices didn't depreciate due to oversupply but because the 991 is such a success and tons of (used) cars are available on the market as well.

But this is OFF-TOPIC

Good eye. Smiley

did you take a look under the cover? BMW?

--

AM

I have no proof to my Theorie - but I believe that lot's of People are "not yet" ready for a Mac even if the is "better" than many of it's competitors. I absolutely love it - and would choose a any Mac over a Lambo or Ferrari anytime (normal range models - R8;s are below anyway indecision) but I also think - which is partly reflected here too - that lots of potential buyers are going the more traditional way - hence even if produced in much smaller numbers it will be hard to sell. The blue 650S we were aiming once was proof that they do not turn around quickly despite a huge hit vs NP. To me I would choose it right after a Porsche - but McLaren is mostly not on a Radar of a car-Lover person who wants to try something new. What I can say thou is that the LT is way above anything I have experienced and I would consider it the best sports-car below 1 Mio....

ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    RC:

But this is OFF-TOPIC

Good eye. Smiley

I actually drove in it... Smiley Smiley Sorry, cannot say more. No, not mine...

Regarding that grey 540C: It is still less flashy than those orange, yellow, green press cars. Smiley

--

RC:
    ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    RC:

But this is OFF-TOPIC

Good eye. Smiley

I actually drove in it... Smiley Smiley Sorry, cannot say more. No, not mine...

Regarding that grey 540C: It is still less flashy than those orange, yellow, green press cars. Smiley

--

new Audi Q5, the wheels are not BMW wheels. 

A 540c spider would be a perfect sportscar  - about 190.000 € and a top performance

--

AM

Is McLaren even considering a 540C Spider? 

--

RC:

Is McLaren even considering a 540C Spider? 

No McLaren considers a special MSO special MSO variant of the special MSO 675 lt spider Smiley

A 570 s spider will come and then a 540 is not far away.

--

AM

Of course 540 will have a spider.

Nice review here, in wintry conditions earlier in the year, by the Autovisie people (Dutch, English ST) comparing the 570S to the R8+.   The host is IMO quite fair in pointing out limitations of both cars... in the end prefers the 570S.  (apologies if a repost; could not find it in this thread at least....).  

My only quibble might the host's comment on the R8 as being great at  "show" which in English has a "poser" implication - however it is also possible this is a translation shift from his actual comments in Dutch - maybe someone fluent in the language could comment if there is a better equivalent to what he said... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaQoGQNkgBg

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

How many years of warranty you get with the McLaren? If you plan to keep the car for years it would be very expensive to maintain as there is only one supplier of parts (McLaren factory). Unlike Lambos where you can buy parts from Audi and even Skoda. That alone would make me look for a Huracan over a 540.

One thing sticks in my mind a bit - McLarens have open diffs afaik. If I had one it would do light winter duty with appropriate tyres, but I'd worry that it might just take a little uneven ground in an icy ski carpark to leave it stranded.. I wonder if that's a real concern - or whether it has some clever system that might help..

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

One thing sticks in my mind a bit - McLarens have open diffs afaik. If I had one it would do light winter duty with appropriate tyres, but I'd worry that it might just take a little uneven ground in an icy ski carpark to leave it stranded.. I wonder if that's a real concern - or whether it has some clever system that might help..

I know they have a winter mode that overrides other settings, re-calibrates torque, shift points, etc. to make sure it is not too easy to overpower grip, but I would expect that the brake-steer electronics are also supposed to optimize grip at each rear wheel, simulating some degree of lockup.  Still, my winter experience with sports cars is: tires are still 90%.  There are some Canadian 12Cs that do winter duty as long as there is not a heavy unplowed snowfall.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

RC:

It looks like the new Cayenne from the slope at the back, I can tell having owned Cayenne's for over 13yrs

Thanks, 4trac - might look into the topic a bit further..

--

wantone:

How many years of warranty you get with the McLaren? If you plan to keep the car for years it would be very expensive to maintain as there is only one supplier of parts (McLaren factory). Unlike Lambos where you can buy parts from Audi and even Skoda. That alone would make me look for a Huracan over a 540.

3 years warranty. Maintanance cost for 1 year for 650s is 1700€. 

When you have a Lambo you buy parts from Lamborghini and not Audi or Skoda, or do you do the service by yourself??

--

AM

Not me. I have a friend who owns a 2004 Gallardo and does his own servicing (not difficult if you have access to a lift) when possible. He says there are many parts directly sourced from VAG (and common to other VAG cars) but of course there are also lots of unique Lambo parts. Lambo parts are very expensive (due to the low volumes). We had a discussion about keeping a McLaren for a few years after the initial depreciation period (first 2-3 years?) and how expensive would be to service it out of warranty when you have to go to a McLaren dealer from pretty much everything... 

My buddy is in Wales and has rented this car for a couple days (nicer than the typical Chevy from Hertz!):

570s.JPG

He is very impressed with the 570S - he is also on the waiting list with me for a GT3 or 4 for Euro Delivery...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

wantone:

Not me. I have a friend who owns a 2004 Gallardo and does his own servicing (not difficult if you have access to a lift) when possible. He says there are many parts directly sourced from VAG (and common to other VAG cars) but of course there are also lots of unique Lambo parts. Lambo parts are very expensive (due to the low volumes). We had a discussion about keeping a McLaren for a few years after the initial depreciation period (first 2-3 years?) and how expensive would be to service it out of warranty when you have to go to a McLaren dealer from pretty much everything... 

Regardless of make I go with all my cars to an official dealer/service - not matter 1,3 or 5 years old. What does the warranty has to do with service costs? Service is service which deals with parts which get used and schould be exchanged due to a service interval. Warranty is for parts which a broken or defect before the service interval ends (if it is a service part). So two different things. If you are scared about costs for broken parts you can applicate for an extended warranty (I would suggest this for all high end cars).

--

AM

How many years you can extend the warranty on the McLaren? Cost?

I should clarify, service plus repairs & modifications.

Warranty offerings vary depending on how you buy the car. Typically if you buy a used car from a dealer, it cant be certified up to the original amount for $3500/year. An additional warranty beyond that is $4500/year, though I believe some places offer deals on this if buying multiple years + service contracts. I've seen 2 year warranty + service for $9000.

wantone:

How many years you can extend the warranty on the McLaren? Cost?

I should clarify, service plus repairs & modifications.

If it's anything like Porsche, these things vary market to market.. best to talk to a UK dealer I'd say..

--

wantone:

The Gallardo, especially the 2004 model, has basically nothing to do with Audi. 

The Huracan and the current (2nd generation) R8 are a different story, over 70% shared parts.
    However: If you think you can just use Audi parts for the Huracan, it is not really possible.

Huracan parts, incl. the engine, gearbox and chassis parts which are basically the same as in the R8, have different part numbers and they do not fit the R8 for various (mostly software but also hardware related...mounting points, etc.) reasons.

My mechanic, who is a R8 and Lamborghini specialized mechanic in the dealership, told me that there aren't many parts  exchangeable, actually he doesn't know of any, not even interior parts.

Yes, Huracan maintenance is more expensive than the one for the R8 and I got a 5 year warranty (well, almost...) or 100000 km (which comes first) for the R8, something which apparently is available for the Huracan but it costs serious money (the R8 extended warranty is 3500 EUR but I got it for...free), if you're looking for "low cost" super sportscar experience, the R8 is definitely the better choice. Huracan full coverage insurance would be 3000 EUR for me, the R8 costs me only 1500 EUR, half. Just another example...

Last example: If I want to get, let's say, a next gen RS6 or a facelifted R8 in a couple of years, my dealer will gladly take in my R8 because this is also supported/endorsed by Audi. With the Huracan, things look different. Used Lamborghini have a certain target audience over here and they aren't always easy to sell. Also, Lamborghini cars are officially "separate" from the Audi business, so the conditions are usually worse. Unless you buy a new Lambo of course. Smiley

Only downside of the R8 experience: People who don't have a clue about sportscars think that the R8 is "just an Audi" and the Huracan is a Lamborghini. Smiley I think I can live with that as long as I can afford driving such a car. I doubt I would have been able to afford a Huracan for now, financially and socially.

Back to topic...McLaren. My neighbor, the one with the 12C Spider, would love to get a 650S Spider. Only problem is: The McLaren dealer is offering a ridiculously low deal for taking in the 12C Spider and my neighbor doesn't want to give it away for free. Smiley Selling the 12C privately wasn't a success either because everyone wants a 650S Spider or a 570S instead for similar money. So right now he is evaluating his options but in the end, I think he will bite into the sour Apple and accept the dealer's offer. I think.

--

All true what you write above, only problem with the R8 is that it looks like an Audi, whereas the Huracan looks like an exotic. I hate to say that, because I really admire the technology behind the Audi, but I can't get over it looks. enlightened

The Huracan on the other hand just looks like a proper junior super car, to me it is the best looking and most desirable sportscar currently available. 

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

RC:

Only downside of the R8 experience: People who don't have a clue about sportscars think that the R8 is "just an Audi" and the Huracan is a Lamborghini. Smiley I think I can live with that as long as I can afford driving such a car. I doubt I would have been able to afford a Huracan for now, financially and socially.

The R8 is just an Audi and I have a clue Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

J.Seven

Rossi:

All true what you write above, only problem with the R8 is that it looks like an Audi, whereas the Huracan looks like an exotic. I hate to say that, because I really admire the technology behind the Audi, but I can't get over it looks. enlightened

The Huracan on the other hand just looks like a proper junior super car, to me it is the best looking and most desirable sportscar currently available. 

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

+1

I am only looking for a Huracan for that exact reason.

wantone:
    Rossi:

+1

+2

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Rossi:

--

The Huracan looks amazing, no doubt about it but I like how the R8 looks, even if I got it mainly because of the tech (engine, etc.). Also, why should I lie, there was a serious financial advantage involved, price...lease cost...five year warranty...insurance cost, a (I did some numbers crunching) 70k EUR advantage over a period of four years. This money buys me a lot of fuel... Smiley

Considering the reaction of Italians regarding my R8 here at Lake Garda, taking photos and videos of the car all the time, I think I'm good in the design department as well. Smiley It gets however a little annoying when people run around your car all the time, especially at stop lights.

1472385838313image.jpegdas 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688200 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408564 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857457 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773151 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM