Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: C4 & C4S Brochure Scans

Here is the official press release from Porsche AG for all the doubters (I guess this will be on their website sometime today):

Quote:
    Stuttgart. The 911-type Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S all-wheel-drive coupes from Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG in Stuttgart are a further addition to the 911 model family and perpetuate a long and successful tradition. Porsche's legendary 959 model and the first Carrera 4, which dates from 1988, were early evidence of this manufacturer's competence in all-wheel-drive technology.

A striking feature of these new 911 models: they are 44 millimeters wider over the rear fenders. The rear wheels of the Carrera 4 can therefore be fitted with 295/35 ZR 18 tires, and its "bigger brother" with 305/30 ZR 19 tires. Powered by the proven 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine, which has an output of 239 kW (325 bhp), the Carrera 4 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.1 seconds and has a top speed of 280 kilometers per hour. The 4S model, with a 3.8-liter engine developing 261 kW (355 bhp), can reach 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds and has a top speed of 288 km/h.

The all-wheel drive system has a multi-disk viscous coupling and transfers between five and 40 percent of the tractive force permanently to the front wheels, giving the two new coupes excellently balanced performance on bends until close to the handling limit, absolute straight-line stability up to top speed and improved traction on slippery roads.

Porsche Stability Management (PSM) now has two new functions: the brake system is pre-filled ready for a full brake application, thus eliminating the air gap between the pads and the disk and making stopping distances even shorter.

The second new PSM function is activated if the driver depresses the brake pedal quickly but not forcefully. In this situation, the hydraulic pump builds up extra pressure to bring all the wheels into the ABS range and ensure optimal braking.

In its regular setting, Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) offers a sporty but comfortable basic shock absorber setup, but operation of the sport button activates a noticeably firmer mapped setting. In both settings, however, the suspension ratings are matched at all times to the driving style and road conditions. The active shock absorber system is a standard feature on the 911 Carrera 4S and an optional extra on the Carrera 4. On request, both models can also be fitted with sports suspension to lower the body 20 millimeters closer to the ground; this option includes a mechanical rear axle differential lock.

The optional Sport Chrono Plus package is also available for the new all-wheel-drive models. It modifies the engine management characteristics and the control behavior of the PSM and PASM systems.

The list prices in Europe are 71,100 Euros for the Carrera 4 and 79,900 Euros for the Carrera 4S. Prices in Germany (including value added tax and country-specific requirements) are 82,657 Euros for the Carrera 4 and 92,865 Euros for the Carrera 4S. The two models will be launched on the German market on October 22, 2005.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Wolvy said:
    Got a letter and brochure in the post this morning (i'm in the UK).

The thing that gets me is there is a Pounds6000 difference between C2S and C4S!

Pounds6000 for an old viscous coupling from the 996??
    Did I mention ripoff in my previous post?

I know it's shocking! When I received the brochure on Saturday morning I was pleased Porsche announced the launch date but then I started reading the details, quite quickly my initial excitement turned to complete and utter disappointment.

All of you on Porsche mailing lists should be receiving this brochure within the next few days so please, please stop saying these scans are fakes, my PS skills are good, but not that good!

Damian

Quote:
    damianc4s said:
    I know it's shocking! When I received the brochure on Saturday morning I was pleased Porsche announced the launch date but then I started reading the details, quite quickly my initial excitement turned to complete and utter disappointment.
    Damian

Damian,
    I have to agree with you, I find the new C4S a major disappointment. I personally thought the 996 C4S was the best looking of all the 996's, but the new one looks pretty much identical to a C2S. Let's hope the turbo is significantly different

how can one be added to the Porsche mailing list?

Pics and details are now up on the AMS website:

Click Here

Hi!

For me it looks like a fake!
    For example: It's not porsche-like to take the "old" viscous coupling from the 996 ind the 997. Another thing I'm wondering about is the design... it doesn't really look wider (like the other widebodys in the past) in my eyes and in the past the wider Carreras always have had diffent rims and front- and rear-bumper. Or should I be wrong?

If it's not a fake I would be quite disappointed about the 4WD Carrera (S) and will also order the Carrera S. I'll know it for sure, when I return from the IAA in Frankfurt.

Greetings

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    how can one be added to the Porsche mailing list?

By buying or servicing a Porsche at an OPC, although Porsche may only send C4/C4S information to existing customers (that just might be PCGB sometimes snotty attitude!)

Damian

but i got my 997 at february shouldnt i be in the mailing list?

Here's my theory... The C 2 was released last year, a few months later we see the first pics of the GT3 cup, shortly after an aero kit is announced that looks very similar to that of the GT3 and costs about Pounds3k. Now the C 4 has just been announced, the turbo will no doubt be announced in the next few months and I'd bet a pound to a penny that a turbo look kit is announced for the C4 only, again at a cost of about Pounds3k. So, the C2 will have a GT3 as a cost option and the C4 will have a turbo kit.
    They just want to bleed every last penny out of us.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    but i got my 997 at february shouldnt i be in the mailing list?

You're a 997 owner

Seriously do you receive the Christophorus magazine? If you do then more than likely you'll receive all the notifications etc, it just takes time for Porsche to do all this 'stuff'.

Damian

Quote:
    Atlantis said:
    Pics and details are now up on the AMS website:

Click Here

Looks like you're right and I'm wrong...

I'll have a look how it looks in real and if you really can see that it's wider than the 2WD ones.

Thanks a lot for your informations, Atlantis!

Quote:
    Phoenix_911 said:
    Hi!

For me it looks like a fake!
    For example: It's not porsche-like to take the "old" viscous coupling from the 996 ind the 997. Another thing I'm wondering about is the design... it doesn't really look wider (like the other widebodys in the past) in my eyes and in the past the wider Carreras always have had diffent rims and front- and rear-bumper. Or should I be wrong?

If it's not a fake I would be quite disappointed about the 4WD Carrera (S) and will also order the Carrera S. I'll know it for sure, when I return from the IAA in Frankfurt.

Greetings

IT'S NOT A FAKE!

It's being announced to the press today, you will see all the details on the Porsche website shortly. Please don't shoot the messenger

Damian

I'm sorry for having doubted the information you posted, but I guess I wished it wasn't true. I am really disappointed that there's no new 4wd system in the car, and that the C4S is not "special" anymore. Just a Carrera S with an old 4wd system and a slightly wider body.

It's out on GFC as well:
    GFC Carrera 4/4S

Damian i am an 997 owner BUT in Greece you dont get christophorus for free You have to pay and subscribe!!!

Dont you get it for free as a new customer in the rest of the world??
    And for how long?

I'm not sure I like the bigger bulge over the rear wheel from this angle.

I know it's so depressing! Looks like I'll have to consider something else.

At least it will do wonders for the residuals on the 996 C4S!

Damian

temm what do you mean "bulge" the gap of the fender of the tire profile???

Ad Damian why you think the 997 C4S will do wonders?

Temm,
    The way to look at the 4S is not turbolook like the 993 and 996 but like the previous generations.
    It is just the 355 hp version of the 4WD 911, that's all.
    Potential costumers should be happy it comes with wider body, judging from the picture, it's actually very nice, I like it!
    I think, in due time, there will be turbo looks version for all models (just like the old days! ) but only once the actual 997 Turbo has been introduced.
    I'm speculating though, but that's the way I see it.
    No new 4WD system, never mind, viscous coupling is nice as it is, same system than on 993 and 996.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Maybe a more advanced system will be introduced with the Turbo with active differential Yaw control etc.

PS: Very nice pic, I like those hips! Sexy!

Dilinger, with the 997 C4S looking like that, it's not going to impact the 996 C4S as badly as it could have done.

Damian

The Turbo-look 996C4S was plain retarded and I'm glad Porsche has done things right with the 997. What's the point of making a car look like a Turbo? If you can't afford a Turbo and want a car that looks like one... TS!

no wide body for standard base carrera's i m afraid though Fanch

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    temm what do you mean "bulge" the gap of the fender of the tire profile???

No, I'm talking about the rear fender, the bodypart over the rear wheel. From that angle it looks a bit out of proportion, like a mid-80s turbo body (the regular 997 has perfect proportions IMO). But I like the way it looks from behind, so I guess we'll need some more pictures of it to better judge the looks. Or even better - see it live.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Well, if that was true, I guess they would still be making the 2.7 RS There's also something called progression

Quote:

Maybe a more advanced system will be introduced with the Turbo with active differential Yaw control etc.

PS: Very nice pic, I like those hips! Sexy!

Oh, I have no doubt that they will introduce a 997 Turbo without the turbos. If Porsche is going to keep setting new profit records, they need to squeeze every last penny out of the customers, by going forward as cheaply as possible and by making as many variants of the same model as possible. But I wonder what they are going to call it since they have already used C4S.

I like it the way it looks from behind as well.

well only matter is this 997 will not going to be a collectible's item with so many variants!!!

Guys, how do you all know that the new 997 4/S will have the old 996 C4 AWD system?

I have informed here month ago about the widebody (I have written 40 mm). The same source told me even before this, that the new awd system is much lighter then the old one. You see the car is wider and has bigger tires and despite this the acceleration times are the same! This wasn't possible before. On top speed there are only 5 km/h missing, this is due the higher Cw value.

So let's wait and then we will see what AWD they are using.

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Guys, how do you all know that the new 997 4/S will have the old 996 C4 AWD system?

I have informed here month ago about the widebody (I have written 40 mm). The same source told me even before this, that the new awd system is much lighter then the old one. You see the car is wider and has bigger tires and despite this the acceleration times are the same! This wasn't possible before. On top speed there are only 5 km/h missing, this is due the higher Cw value.

So let's wait and then we will see what AWD they are using.

AM

From the 996 C4S page at porsche.co.uk :

"Power is distributed to the front and rear wheels by an ingenious device known as a viscous coupling. As well as transferring drive to the wheels, the system compensates for any difference in the speed of rotation measured on the front and rear axles.
    At least 5% of engine power is always applied to the front axle, increasing to roughly 35% in normal driving conditions. In extreme situations, as much as 40% of drive torque can be delivered to the front wheels."

From the 997 Carrera Brochure, looks fairly identical to me, but I hope you're right:

another question1!!!!!!

will the 997 carrera 4 feature silver calipers just like the 996????nice one eh?

nice investigation it's like Scottland Yard and FBI are working on this thread

I don't know, but I hope the information I have heard long time ago is correct. For me the performance values looks great. The 996 C4S wasn't as fast as the 997 4S compared to the RWD cars.

AM

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    Damian i am an 997 owner BUT in Greece you dont get christophorus for free You have to pay and subscribe!!!

And for how long?

Hi Dilinger,

if we buy a new Porsche here in Germany, we get the magazine 12 month for free. After that we also have to pay.

Quote:
    Phoenix_911 said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

And for how long?

Hi Dilinger,

if we buy a new Porsche here in Germany, we get the magazine 12 month for free. After that we also have to pay.

Same here, I got it for free the first year then had to pay.
    I subscribed witough sending a cheque, still got the magazing for a whole year, until a german lady called me to tell me I had to pay.
    To which I replied it is pretty poor not to incl. mag subscription when you're a client.
    Funny enough, on my second Porsche, the 996, never received the mag!!!;)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM