Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

High speed experience with F430 anyone?

after 700km's breaking in i decided my F430 is ready for some high-revving autobahn driving.

performance is stunning.

but above 290 km/h (equivalent to approx 180 mph) the car fluttered and seemed to get quite light at the front axle. at least this was my impression. i felt quite uneasy in comparison to my GT3 RS which is planted to the ground even at (speedo indicated) 320 km/h.

anyone sharing this impression?

Re: High speed experience with F430 anyone?

Seems like a clear downforce-issue with the front spoiler or perhaps front suspension?
    What was the tarmac/autobahn like? Totally smooth or a bit bumpy?
    If the suspension is too hard or the bound/rebound on the dampers isn't reaction fast enough to bumps in the road, the car will feel light, jumpy and have reduced road contact at high speeds.
    Both uncomfortable and potentially pretty dangerous.
    I dunno the F430 very well, but if there's a soft and hard suspension option, maybe you should try the softer one for your next hi-speed test?

Damn, that's a beautiful pic you've taken. It looks stunning from behind.

The back of the 430 looks as if from a different planet. I just love the F430 as long as it's not red or yellow!

Quote:
    Seems like a clear downforce-issue with the front spoiler or perhaps front suspension?
    What was the tarmac/autobahn like? Totally smooth or a bit bumpy?
    If the suspension is too hard or the bound/rebound on the dampers isn't reaction fast enough to bumps in the road, the car will feel light, jumpy and have reduced road contact at high speeds.
    Both uncomfortable and potentially pretty dangerous.
    I dunno the F430 very well, but if there's a soft and hard suspension option, maybe you should try the softer one for your next hi-speed test?

that's right -- at first i was in harder "race" mode and then switched to "sport" which was way better. but far from optimal.

Totally agree - you're car looks perfect Zzboba! Keep up the fun

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    after 700km's breaking in i decided my F430 is ready for some high-revving autobahn driving.

performance is stunning.

but above 290 km/h (equivalent to approx 180 mph) the car fluttered and seemed to get quite light at the front axle. at least this was my impression. i felt quite uneasy in comparison to my GT3 RS which is planted to the ground even at (speedo indicated) 320 km/h.

anyone sharing this impression?

I don't think car so capable as a F430 would have any inherent decreased front end stability at 180mph+, though the GT3RS is not a good benchmark since aerodinamically is much superior due to its much higher downforce, the GT3RS actually has negative lift at high speeds which is rare to see. The F430 has a more conservative aerodinamics, and at 180mph thats a manyor role. Not many drivers test their cars at that speed and while downforce is of upmost importance at high speeds, it has the drawback of incresing drag (lower top speed, decresed acceleration at very high speeds, greater fuel consumption, etc) so makers balance that out according to the use intended for the car. Probably the F430 C.Stradale version will come with more downforce than the Monza.

Still, if you feel its still more than a Carrera or TT for example, then it could it be a tire pressure issue (maybe you have to play with the "slightly" lowering the fronts and see), but maybe the tires may just need some more settleing in, my PS2' didn't come to their complete full potential till 1000-1500km or so

Nice shot BTW, looks stunning, specially in that color for that car, it looks sort of special, not as "ordinary" as red.

last week I drove 285km/h, and had no problems, it felt good, a lot of times I drove 270, and the car felt great, but above that, I have to test it yet, I haven't take the car at highway's, because i prefere driving hard in the smaller land roads, but i will test it the coming days, at least when the weather gets a little bit better over here ...

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    last week I drove 285km/h, and had no problems, it felt good, a lot of times I drove 270, and the car felt great, but above that, I have to test it yet, I haven't take the car at highway's, because i prefere driving hard in the smaller land roads, but i will test it the coming days, at least when the weather gets a little bit better over here ...

270 km/h...on smaller country roads??
    I guess you mean highways...not freeways..but still, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. On freeways you have a chance of spotting traffic from on-ramps, but on the highway there are oncoming traffic and sometimes crossing traffic.
    Man, be careful, please.

Dr.Phil, "highways" are Autobahn, etc., no oncoming traffic or crossroads

I had a Stradale close to 175mph and it was rock solid. Front end well planted and no lightness.

Try different settings.I will be curious as to your findings.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I had a Stradale close to 175mph and it was rock solid. Front end well planted and no lightness.

thank you all for your tips!

i just figured out that tire pressure according to the tire pressure control is 2.4 bar on all wheels -- while the recommendation for the mounted p zero rossos is 2.2 bar.

why did they put so much air in it at the dealer?

nick: any update on when's your F430 coming?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

i just figured out that tire pressure according to the tire pressure control is 2.4 bar on all wheels -- while the recommendation for the mounted p zero rossos is 2.2 bar.

It is in the US and very hopeful to have it next week. However there is a software upgrade (for airbags) which may delay it. Dealer just called. The car is on a truck but will not get to SD until the 17th or 18th.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

There you go! tire pressures needed dropin' hope this solves it

Quote:
    zzboba said:i just figured out that tire pressure according to the tire pressure control is 2.4 bar on all wheels -- while the recommendation for the mounted p zero rossos is 2.2 bar.

Glad you figured this out. And of course the pressures will become very much higher than 2.4 Bar with very high speed as this greatly increases the tire temperature. I don't know the relationships for metric, but every 10F increase in tire temp corresponds to 1 psi increase in pressure. It is common to gain over 15 psi (1 Bar) with prolonged high-speed driving...

Man that car looks gorgeous
    Are you a photographer ?
    I love the way the 430 looks but haven't seen one look that good from the rear in a picture. Sometimes you just get pefect lighting. The color is really nice.
    Is that Titanium ? (my favorite color for Ferrari behind red) It looks like it has some blue hue to it.
    Nick must really be chomping at the bit for his car to be following you around in his mini.

I like the photoshopped "RENNTEAM" logo on the back. Nice touch.

great pics, continued success zzboba with your gorgeous ride!!

ZZOBA, where does the tire pressure montior output data to, the gearchange readout or a seperate lcd/ box?

Dear zzboba,
    the only way I can express my feeling about this awesome picture is:

Quote:
    I like big butts and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
    And a round thing in your face
    You get sprung, wanna pull out your tongue
    'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
    Deep in the jeans she's wearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh baby, I wanna get wit'cha
    And take your picture

ZZ, your opinion about the tire pressure control so far? Does it work properly? Many dealers still don't recommend it, as there seem to problems with reliability. I'm wondering whether to take or leave it.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    ZZ, your opinion about the tire pressure control so far? Does it work properly? Many dealers still don't recommend it, as there seem to problems with reliability. I'm wondering whether to take or leave it.

Same for me Rossi on the 997, it's called RDK.
    RC strongly recommands it, but everyone else has gone against it.
    My Merc contact told me it's often faulty on Mercs (although not on ours) but that they have in his opinion a much better option, it doesn't give you the pressure of each tyre but warns you if a tyre goes below the recommanded pressure. It is 100% reliable.
    Frankly, I check my tyre pressure regularly (at petrol stations with a good old gauge!), modify it accordingly when tracking, don't feel the need so far for the option.
    My Ferrari contact has told me that so far, 100% of the option has been faulty on the cars when installed.
    So caution here...

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

My Merc contact told me it's often faulty on Mercs (although not on ours) but that they have in his opinion a much better option, it doesn't give you the pressure of each tyre but warns you if a tyre goes below the recommanded pressure. It is 100% reliable.
    Frankly, I check my tyre pressure regularly (at petrol stations with a good old gauge!), modify it accordingly when tracking, don't feel the need so far for the option.
    My Ferrari contact has told me that so far, 100% of the option has been faulty on the cars when installed.
    So caution here...

Francois, before I got my 997S, dealer told me NOT to order RDK, because it's not reliable. Even more, you couldn't even order RDK and as far as I know that situation hasn't changed. So no RDK for 997 at the moment.
    Same opinion at the F-dealer, he voted against it as he hasn't seen a troublefree car with tire pressure control yet (it's standard at the 575M I guess). That's the reason why I was curious if it works in ZZ's F430.
    Only dealer that recommends it is BMW. Obviously they experienced the same problems with the first generation RDK, but now they've changed the sensivity threshold and it should be fine.
    I also know the system you mentioned, I have that in my Mini and it works just fine.

One more thing to remember at a sports car: if you order CCM or PCCB also for the advantage of less unsprung weight, the RDK sensors at each tyre bring up the weight again. I've heard it's 300 to 400g per each tyre.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

So caution here...

Francois, before I got my 997S, dealer told me NOT to order RDK, because it's not reliable. Even more, you couldn't even order RDK and as far as I know that situation hasn't changed. So no RDK for 997 at the moment.
    Same opinion at the F-dealer, he voted against it as he hasn't seen a troublefree car with tire pressure control yet (it's standard at the 575M I guess). That's the reason why I was curious if it works in ZZ's F430.
    Only dealer that recommends it is BMW. Obviously they experienced the same problems with the first generation RDK, but now they've changed the sensivity threshold and it should be fine.
    I also know the system you mentioned, I have that in my Mini and it works just fine.

One more thing to remember at a sports car: if you order CCM or PCCB also for the advantage of less unsprung weight, the RDK sensors at each tyre bring up the weight again. I've heard it's 300 to 400g per each tyre.

i have found the RDK in both the cayenne and CGT to be very usefull. it's +/- 1 lb but it is very useful. it's particularly useful in the CGT in monitoring hot tire pressures - especially when you are trying to figure out the right cold ones to get to optimal hot. in our late 2003 M3 model, it sucked arse though. it failed to go off once which resulted in a ruined $300 tire. as well, it often went off and stayed off for no reason whatsoever.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

So caution here...

Given the consequences of a blown tire at higher speeds I can well understand why RC highly recommends the RDK system.

I have it in my Audi A8 and I higly appreciate it. No wrong warnings to date. And even if the system were prone to malfunctions you would still be warned with a rather high likelihood wheras in a car without RDK you would not notice a low tire pressure at all. It cannot hurt to have RDK

with the challenge rims, it was even impossible fpr me to order them

MKSGR, Ben,
    It's a monitor device, not a blown tyre preventer.
    You can get a blown tyre on the motorway starting your journey with perfectly inflated tyres!
    Also Ben,
    Yes, I do appreciate the added safety of the device, but the only time where my tyres were actually under recommanded pressure, I felt it in the handling.
    Ben, did you feel a difference too in your BMW handling before adjusting the pressure back up?
    End of the day, I agree with you guys, it's a great device as a Monitoring device, not as a preventer.
    I hope you get my point.
    At this point in time, I'm still not going with it. Might change my mind, but from Rennteamers experiences on others brands, it doesn't seem to be working 100% yet.
    I'll wait a bit more.
    Thanks.

I had heard about posible problmes with it, but I believe its so useful and added safety if it works (especially if you do lots of constant prolongued highspeed driving like I do) that I took my chance with it and ordered it with mine in case it works.

Tires are getting so stiff/sporty and sidewalls so narrow with larger wheels these days that I am not confident about feeling soon enough an underinflation until its too severe, and not only blown tires at high speed is a risk but also loss of grip in over 200km/h curves.

I have had two slow leaks with two of my previous cars and felt it both times, but in one case I was doing 200km/h and by the time I stopped I had scrubbed off the top part of the "michelin" lettering on the sidewall of the tire in the curves!! I didn't think it was that bad so didn't stop inmediately in the middle of the highway, I'm glad the tire resisted like a champ (it was the Mich MXX3 with very stiff carcas).

I think tire pressure monitors are a must in these type of cars and the use we give them, its also good to know when they are heated up by looking at the pressures in hot like Ben says too. Worth taking the chance to see how they work, just hope it does on my 997S.

I'll let you guys know if it does for those that are thinking of getting it in the 997S.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I had heard about posible problmes with it, but I believe its so useful and added safety (especially if you do lots of constant highspeed driving like I do) if it works that I took my chance with it and ordered it with mine in case it works.
    Tires are getting so stiff/sporty and sidewalls so narrow with larger wheels these days that I am not confident about feeling soon enough an underinflation until its too severe, and not only a blown tires at high speed is a risk but also loss of grip in over 200km/h curves. I have had two slow leaks with two of my previous cars and felt it both times, but in one case I was doing 200km/h and by the time I stopped I had scrubbed off the top part of the "michelin" lettering on the sidewall of the tire in the curves I'm glad the tire resisted like a champ (it was the Mich MXX3 with very stiff carcas).
    I think tire pressure monitors are a most in these cars and the use we give them, its also good to know when they are heated up by looking at the pressures in hot like Ben says too. Worth taking the chance to see how they work, just hope it does on my 997S.
    I'll let you guys know if it does for those that are thinking of getting it in the 997S.

Thanks for the explanation Carlos,
    Makes more sense now, I see what Ben was talking about.
    Let me know if your works well please,
    I have until June to change options!

You bet Francois, I'll give a report on it... lets cross our finguers!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    MKSGR, Ben,
    It's a monitor device, not a blown tyre preventer.
    You can get a blown tyre on the motorway starting your journey with perfectly inflated tyres!
    Also Ben,
    Yes, I do appreciate the added safety of the device, but the only time where my tyres were actually under recommanded pressure, I felt it in the handling.
    Ben, did you feel a difference too in your BMW handling before adjusting the pressure back up?
    End of the day, I agree with you guys, it's a great device as a Monitoring device, not as a preventer.
    I hope you get my point.
    At this point in time, I'm still not going with it. Might change my mind, but from Rennteamers experiences on others brands, it doesn't seem to be working 100% yet.
    I'll wait a bit more.
    Thanks.

the tire in the bmw didn't blow. however, it lost air and my wife drove on it for considerably less than a mile which put a rip in the sidewall. had the POS correctly notified her of the low pressure, she would have filled it up. hence, as you say it's a "monitor device" and it did a lame arse job of monitoring. it also "monitored" low pressure several times when they were spot on.

try RDK on the track and you'll love it. i can tell you it's been on one of my cars and accruately told me when the tires were too hot (and worthless) when the monitor indicated within 1 or 2 lbs of X lbs (hot) which is not something you'd know w/out it. sure you could guess and know when it's sloppy, but you screw up your tires that way too and will spend a buttload of time with a pyrometer to get the same useful info.

as well, the RDK in the cayenne alerted us to a tire that was 2 lbs down and sure enough it was the only one without a valve stem cap.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM