Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Carrera Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II)

Love the book collection, and Marcus Aurelius's  Meditations is wonderful. Pity it is sometimes a little lost on a lot of the younger generation just how developed thinking was in classical times. 

Continuing the off-topic theme.... there is an interesting new series on Netflix called "Barbaren" (or Barbarians in English). It is a German production, and shot in latin and german, which was quite fascinating in its own right. Six part series on the Varus expedition into Germany / Teutoburg Wald in the rain of Augustus.

Enmanuel:

This thread really has it all. Dogs, Ferraris, and now beautiful book recommendations?! I've never read Meditations, but have always wanted too. Maybe this is a sign to finally do it. 

Yes, why not?  I've just finished 1,000 pages of MiddleMarch, now am deep in War & Peace, both of which I haven't read since 7th grade, so such a pleasure!  Such glorious literature, the soul of life.Smiley

And for a Sailor, one of my all time favourites I just found rebound by Chelsea Bindery:

4349c23d-a120-4d7c-9379-974e0069a245.jpeg

996FourEss:

Love the book collection, and Marcus Aurelius's  Meditations is wonderful. Pity it is sometimes a little lost on a lot of the younger generation just how developed thinking was in classical times

Continuing the off-topic theme.... there is an interesting new series on Netflix called "Barbaren" (or Barbarians in English). It is a German production, and shot in latin and german, which was quite fascinating in its own right. Six part series on the Varus expedition into Germany / Teutoburg Wald in the rain of Augustus.

They had a lot of free time at their hands, no distractions. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Anyone has spare minutes for reading if they choose, RC!

Still snowy Way Back In, so one armed Daddy needs to be careful, but the Crewe is howling for lunch break!

IMG_2602.jpeg

Nice to be getting Back In!

IMG_2598.jpeg

Sabre, the Snow King, dreaming of Ice and Snow.

IMG_2595.jpeg

May and the white stuff is back!!!!!

IMG_2614.jpeg

Carlos from Spain:
    W8MM:

Sunrise (maybe sunset?) while descending to land @ Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México.

Cockpit view from right seat of American Airlines 738.

IMG_5943.jpeg

Here is an interesting facts fo think about that image next time one looks at a sunrise. The sun at that moment is actually higher already, that sunrise moment happened aprox 6 minutes ago in reality, and you are looking at the past. The sun light takes about 8 minunes to cover the distance betwen the sun and the earth and reach you eyes, but because the photons slow down when they enter the atmosphere compared to empty space, the light also gets refracted (like when it goes through a diamond or water) half a degree downwards and the sun takes 2 minutes to cover that half of degree so the light you see is 2 minues bellow the horizon, that means that overall the sunrise happened 6 minutes ago. And in the case of the sunset its a 10 minute deleay aprox. So I always find it interesting that that beautiful sight you see is not really there right now.

Also I always find interesting that we all instinctively think of the sun as yellow when I'm fact it's white, but because of the particles in the atmosphere the blue light wavelengths are more easily reflected and scattered away and the light left that reaches us is more predominantly of the opposite side of the spectrum, yellowish. The more atmosphere the sun light has to pass through the more blue is scattered and the closer to orange or even red it appears to us, that is why the sun at noon is closest to white in color and the clouds are completely white not yellow, but the lower it gets on the horizon the more atmosphere it goes through as is hits earth in a tangent and the closer to orange or red it appears, and the scattered blue light in turn is what gives the sky its blue color.

Completely off topic I know but it wouldn't be rennteam otherwise Smiley

To be even more pedantic, the sun emits more green photons than any other and could be considered green…the color white is a lie cause by our brains.

lexs4:
    Carlos from Spain:
    W8MM:

Sunrise (maybe sunset?) while descending to land @ Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México.

IMG_5943.jpeg

Here is an interesting facts fo think about that image next time one looks at a sunrise. The sun at that moment is actually higher already, that sunrise moment happened aprox 6 minutes ago in reality, and you are looking at the past. The sun light takes about 8 minunes to cover the distance betwen the sun and the earth and reach you eyes, but because the photons slow down when they enter the atmosphere compared to empty space, the light also gets refracted (like when it goes through a diamond or water) half a degree downwards and the sun takes 2 minutes to cover that half of degree so the light you see is 2 minues bellow the horizon, that means that overall the sunrise happened 6 minutes ago. And in the case of the sunset its a 10 minute deleay aprox. So I always find it interesting that that beautiful sight you see is not really there right now.

Also I always find interesting that we all instinctively think of the sun as yellow when I'm fact it's white, but because of the particles in the atmosphere the blue light wavelengths are more easily reflected and scattered away and the light left that reaches us is more predominantly of the opposite side of the spectrum, yellowish. The more atmosphere the sun light has to pass through the more blue is scattered and the closer to orange or even red it appears to us, that is why the sun at noon is closest to white in color and the clouds are completely white not yellow, but the lower it gets on the horizon the more atmosphere it goes through as is hits earth in a tangent and the closer to orange or red it appears, and the scattered blue light in turn is what gives the sky its blue color.

To be even more pedantic, the sun emits more green photons than any other and could be considered green…the color white is a lie cause by our brains.

It's peak frequency is green-yellow wavelength but only within the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum, and t's still seen as white because it emits all the colors and the peak frequency of green-yellow wavelength is to small to make a difference, so it still appears white, so you could say that because we are talking about only "visible" light, what is visible, what you see is what defines the color it has, what our brain/eyes see, so it's not really a lie that it's white in that sense, guess it depends on your definition.

Hoping not to come off as pedantic (again?Smiley ) but If we are talking about what frecuency photons it emits more than any other then it's not green either, it emits infrared photons in much higher abundance than green, in fact more than all the visible frecuency photons put together, so in that sense then the sun would be infrared color, but the sun emits photons in the entire electromagnetic spectrum, not just visible light, from the lower frecuency radio waves to highest frequency gamma rays. It all depends which you can see to define it's color, because we cannot see the infrared the sun is white because we only see the visible frecuencies and the visible combine to yield white, but we can still precieve the infrared rays from the sun though since the infrared is responsible for the heat we feel from the sun on our skin, the warmth we feel from the sun is mostly from the infrared radiation it emits.

Other animals (some cold blooded ones) can see infrared so wonder what the sun looks to them? and birds are tetrachromatic because they have an extra fourth cone in the eyes that can see ultraviolet so often wonder what they see? not just UV but because of that extra UV cone they also see more non-spectral colors that we do (we just see magenta) so wonder what how colorful flowers look to them? Smiley ... we need Georgie La Forge's visor Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    lexs4:
    Carlos from Spain:
    W8MM:

IMG_5943.jpeg

It's peak frequency is green-yellow wavelength but only within the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum, and t's still seen as white because it emits all the colors and the peak frequency of green-yellow wavelength is to small to make a difference, so it still appears white, so you could say that because we are talking about only "visible" light, what is visible, what you see is what defines the color it has, what our brain/eyes see, so it's not really a lie that it's white in that sense, guess it depends on your definition.

Hoping not to come off as pedantic (again?Smiley ) but If we are talking about what frecuency photons it emits more than any other then it's not green either, it emits infrared photons in much higher abundance than green, in fact more than all the visible frecuency photons put together, so in that sense then the sun would be infrared color, but the sun emits photons in the entire electromagnetic spectrum, not just visible light, from the lower frecuency radio waves to highest frequency gamma rays. It all depends which you can see to define it's color, because we cannot see the infrared the sun is white because we only see the visible frecuencies and the visible combine to yield white, but we can still precieve the infrared rays from the sun though since the infrared is responsible for the heat we feel from the sun on our skin, the warmth we feel from the sun is mostly from the infrared radiation it emits.

Other animals (some cold blooded ones) can see infrared so wonder what the sun looks to them? and birds are tetrachromatic because they have an extra fourth cone in the eyes that can see ultraviolet so often wonder what they see? not just UV but because of that extra UV cone they also see more non-spectral colors that we do (we just see magenta) so wonder what how colorful flowers look to them? Smiley ... we need Georgie La Forge's visor Smiley

Carlos, you are 100% right, I just like to mess with people and say the sun is green due to emitting a little more strongly in the 500nm wavelength than the rest.  The three color cone cell receptors in our eyes of course see the red - blue visible light also emitted and are saturated thus the white color we see.  It would be interesting to be able to see outside the visible light spectrum, how different the world would look!

Multiwavelength-Sun-and-Telescopes_480x270.png

DB998070-1BD3-4AB8-8868-AB71E9B67CA1.jpegit is with great sorrow that I pay tribute to my little Nalla who passed this Wednesday. She is welcomed in heaven by Sammy on the left and Trixie on the right. She was my wife’s one and only dog and was like our child. Luckily she passed quickly and without suffering. Please say a prayer for her and my wife. 

RIP, so sorry for your loss. surprise

Take care mr. and mrs. Watt! It must be heartbreaking to loose such a beloved dog. Wishing you the strength to cope with the loss and heaps of fond memories.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Mike, I'm sure your dog lived a wonderful life. When its time, it's time.surprise

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Leawood911:

DB998070-1BD3-4AB8-8868-AB71E9B67CA1.jpegit is with great sorrow that I pay tribute to my little Nalla who passed this Wednesday. She is welcomed in heaven by Sammy on the left and Trixie on the right. She was my wife’s one and only dog and was like our child. Luckily she passed quickly and without suffering. Please say a prayer for her and my wife. 

The Crewe sends its deepest condolences.  God Blessed you with their friendships:  Naila, Sammy and Trixie.

xmas 2022 maybe.jpeg

RIP

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Let's go Dada!  It's time to hunt for porcupines!  Sun Ra got a porcupine Friday, 30 quills all in her mouth we pulled out painfully and in her foot, then Sabre and Sir Cosmic Messenger attacked another on Saturday - I pulled 50 quills from Sabre's legs, he was lucky, but SCM had 30 of them in his nose -- too painful for me to pull on the track, the vet had to put him to sleep to get them outheart.  Every spring!  Last year BoomBoom and SCM attacked one too, only BoomBoom has learned.

IMG_2623.jpeg

Adios Valentine!  The RedLine is here, well presented with a nice travel pack and the excellent mount I recall from New Zealand.  We will reacquaint ourselves with its performance, and if it's as I remember, convert all the cars to RedLine and toss the Valentines.

IMG_2626.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

One armed Snow Man enjoys springtime in the Rockieswink

99d8fafc-c9b8-409c-b6e2-f411b1ec656f_image.jpeg

You're amazing. How you manage especially in shorts is beyond my comprehension.kiss

Looking forward to your feedback on the Redline. Also, I would like to see where in the cabin and how you mount it.

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

thought the same ! A true mountain man kiss

Respect Mr Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

My legs are cold just looking at this, you're a legend.

I’ve seen plenty of guys around Chicago walking around in shorts during the depths of winter.

Haha!  10" fresh at just 6800' today, with luck we got 3' above 9,000'!!!!kiss  Good for the watershed.Smiley

IMG_2694.jpeg

Everyone is sooooooo happy it's winter again!!!!!  BoomBoom is rolling and plowing snow, etc

IMG_2676.jpeg

Sabre the Snow King is digging' it.

IMG_2660.jpeg

Snow mode does fine even with these wrangler off roads, but it will be nice to have Hakkas next winter.

IMG_2666.jpeg

The snow is probably heavy . Impressed the RAM gets through with the simple off road tires.

A happy Daddy with his happy doggies kiss

I need a break from snow and cold, bring on the summer indecision

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM