Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Options Recommended

Quote:
    Seven said:
    No problem 69bossnine, I don't take that personally. Maybe you didn't have a good day today. I had.

It's just a matter of comfort. You cannot always be sure that you see everything behind you.

And if racing with me - which I would very much appreciate - you wouldn't need pillows. The ParkAssist doesn't work when I'm driving forward and you are behind me far away.

Don't tempt me, I'll spin you into the barrels Jimmie Johnson style!!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Don't tempt me, I'll spin you into the barrels Jimmie Johnson style!!!!

Please help me. Should I know Jimmie Johnson??? I fear the worst that this was not a compliment.

Quote:
    Seven said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    IMO, park assist uglifies the bumper.

On a black car you don't see it all. But you are right for other brighter colors.

Yeah, black is a great color! Hides body panel lines, grillework, trim, window glass borders; I wish I had the guts to order a black car (dusty roads mean keeping it clean would be a problem for me). Car looks so fantastic in black!

Quote:
    Seven said:
    CD Changer is okay, you can retrofit that. And Navigation is also a must-have.

It's funny that said that about NAV. I've had my 997S for six months now and I've used the NAV once, a few days after I got the car. But, hey, I might use it again in the future and I would regret it if I wanted later and didn't order it in the first place. Also, I got the CD changer but have NEVER used it.

Quote:
    Seven said:
    One thing for sure: It's more annoying to NOT have ordered something than have ordered something you don't need so urgently.

Agreed.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    Stradale
    You seem to really hate park assist.....is it the visual (agreed it is truly ugly) or is it the concept (assisting you in parking the car) that bothers you.....
    Both

As for Ferrari, they should offer park assist on the car...whilst the Porsche is a breeze with good rearward visibility, the 360 is dreadful (and that was meant to be an improvement on previous models!)... From a safety standpoint, if you can't see it how can you avoid it?
    I think putting park assist in a Ferrari, especially if included holes in the bumper would be Grossly irreverent toward what is or is held to be sacred. imo in a Porsche it's just short of sacrilegious.

Would your opinion be different if park assist didn't have the sensors....(there are systems available that go behind the bumper and are invisible) ...why don't the car manufacturers fit this type?
    For visual reasons yes. Conceptually,,, no.

I think it also depends where you live.....Here in LA you could build a house on parking spaces they're so large....Whereas London, Brussels, Paris etc can be so tight that you can't walk between the cars..

If someone offered you to pay you $530 to learn how to park your OWN 911 within an inch of the car behind you, would you take it ???????

$530 is what it costs for park assist- know where I'm comin from ?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    It's funny that said that about NAV. I've had my 997S for six months now and I've used the NAV once, a few days after I got the car. But, hey, I might use it again in the future and I would regret it if I wanted later and didn't order it in the first place.

I've used the Navi much more. With this car you are just driving and driving and driving and driving...
    ... and you don't know where you are. It will drive you home again.

And you'll driving sometimes just the journey is the reward and your Navi will drive you back home.

By the way you have the possibility to enter round trips. Big opportunity to enter trips just for fun.

....I think putting park assist in a Ferrari, especially if included holes in the bumper would be Grossly irreverent toward what is or is held to be sacred. imo in a Porsche it's just short of sacrilegious......

Irreverent, is advertising that a 360 can now accomodate your golf clubs or that Porsche offers cup holders to accomodate your latte!!

Don't neglect the OBVIOUS.

Don't forget to pay the ransom/extortion to Porsche and get the Navigation module. Why? Because if you don't you'll have a few labeled buttons on the console which don't do anything.

Kinda bothers me to have non-functioning buttons; how 'bout you?

Re: Don't neglect the OBVIOUS.

^^^that's marketing genius at work, dearest MMD!

SEVEN: great call with the Navi! i second that!!

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    ^^^that's marketing genius at work, dearest MMD!

LOL! Yeah, great how that works. Well at least I don't mind too much getting ripped by Porsche (as opposed to Ford or GM). Gee, I think they got me (us) TOTALLY figured out!

Quote:
    It's funny that said that about NAV. I've had my 997S for six months now and I've used the NAV once, a few days after I got the car. But, hey, I might use it again in the future and I would regret it if I wanted later and didn't order it in the first place. Also, I got the CD changer but have NEVER used it.

That's exactly why I passed on Nav and the CD changer. I've got Nav in my wife's Lincoln Navigator. We never use it (I can't imagine being so disoriented after a long drive through the countryside that I couldn't get back home. There's a compass on the display for crying out loud). The times that I have used Navigation systems, I find that they are very well adept at taking you to your a**hole via your elbow. As for CD changers, invariably it seems that the CD that you want to listen to spur-of-the-moment is NEVER in the carrier that's plugged into the changer. So you wind up using the dash-CD slot 99% of the time anyhow. So I blew-off Nav and the changer, and it paid for my E36 Aluminum/Leather package, and my heated seats (which I LOVE, so relaxing...)

Quote:
    Irreverent, is advertising that a 360 can now accomodate your golf clubs or that Porsche offers cup holders to accomodate your latte!!

Hey, I use my cup holder to holster my morning travel-cup of coffee just about EVERY MORNING!! Thank you Porsche!!! In my 993, I had to skillfully nestle my cup between my legs while shifting, and then drive with one hand. And then if the cell rang, I was down to knee-steering!!!

The drinks I buy never seem to fit in the cup holders. Can someone explain what does?

I'm not a soda drinker, so I'm never trying to stuff a 48 ounce big-gulp into a cupholder. I find the 997 cupholders to be perfect for most coffee cups (7/11, Starbucks, etc), or my insulated coffee cups I take with me from home.

Get the fire extinguisher

It's only a $140 option. Very cheap for a Porsche.
    Aftermarket solution is much more.

Re: Get the fire extinguisher

The Nav, its not the best, not even close to my wife's Honda minivan, but when you need it, you'll kick yourself for not getting one. In my 993 I'm always glancing down at the radio to look at the map, but there isn't one!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    So I blew-off Nav and the changer, and it paid for my E36 Aluminum/Leather package, and my heated seats (which I LOVE, so relaxing...)

Heated seats? In Florida???

Absolutely. It's not like I don't have air conditioning. I don't use the seats to warm up (unless it's winter, it does go below freezing here on a regular basis), I use them for comfort and relaxation. Driving at night, a/c on, buns toasty, man, it's like sleeping in a cold room with a warm blanket, good stuff... If you've never had 'em, you don't know. I bought a car off the lot several years ago that had the option, and I thought I would never use them. I've been hooked ever since.

I'm teasing. I have heated seats also and I live in So Cal.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Absolutely. It's not like I don't have air conditioning. I don't use the seats to warm up (unless it's winter, it does go below freezing here on a regular basis), I use them for comfort and relaxation. Driving at night, a/c on, buns toasty, man, it's like sleeping in a cold room with a warm blanket, good stuff... If you've never had 'em, you don't know. I bought a car off the lot several years ago that had the option, and I thought I would never use them. I've been hooked ever since.

I have them on the SUV and the Mercs, it's ok but not amazing.
    Didn't get them on the 997.
    Watch out for the hemoroids!

Quote:

If I could see them, I'd watch for them, but I'm not quite that limber. ba dump, ching!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:

If I could see them, I'd watch for them, but I'm not quite that limber. ba dump, ching!!

Touche!!!
    PS: If it start itching like mad! Turn off the heated seats!

Guess it depends on how often you go places for the first time. imo there's nothing more frustrating then following written directions from someone that 'turns' out to be wrong.Getting lost can pisss me off so badly it can sometimes ruin half my day. If it can be prevented I'm all for it. Trying to use a map especially if you don't have a co-pilot can be almost as annoying. Personally NAV is worth it's cost each and everytime it saves me TIME. I've also been duped by mapquest twice out of the last three times I used it.

In NY heated seats come in handy (especially in a cab) often. It's also one of those options that you almost have to have to help it's re-sale.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    In NY heated seats come in handy (especially in a cab) often. It's also one of those options that you almost have to have to help it's re-sale.

Humm, not sure it Heated deats will help for the resale value but if you say so? Maybe in NYC?
    In France where it can get cold in the winter, I guess Heated seats are a nice features but certainly not a must in terms of resale value.
    At least not like Sunroof, GPS, Full leather, etc.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Humm, not sure it Heated deats will help for the resale value but if you say so? Maybe in NYC?
    In France where it can get cold in the winter, I guess Heated seats are a nice features but certainly not a must in terms of resale value.
    At least not like Sunroof, GPS, Full leather, etc.

I think heated seats are a must have in a cab. If you have ever been out with the top down and it starts to get a little cool, it is nice to be able to turn on the seat heaters. It allows you to go top down when you might otherwise need to put the top up.

Phil

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760676 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434367 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260007 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871273 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806440 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM